Some Positives....To Keep You Sane

I would say that when we were using the run to set up the pass, we were effective as an offense, and perhaps we need to go to that again. Our offensive line actually wasn't that bad, all things considered, but they did have their share of problems.

Defensively, Stanley Jean-Baptiste and the rest of the secondary played very well, especially considering they were being asked to play linebacker for half the game. SJB will likely be another first/second round pick by the time he's through here at DoNU.

I also think that the positives are what Beck said after the game...if the man is humble enough to admit mistakes and figure out how to fix them, he (and our offense) will go far.

You have to learn from your mistakes. Beck admitted to being stubborn last year too.

Besides an undefeated season and a national championship (which I don't think anyone realistically believed was attainable) all our goals for the season can still be achieved. The offense should be improved once Burkhead returns and our defense has a history of showing steady improvement over the course of the season. The UCLA loss is tough to swallow but I still believe we are capable of putting together a great season.

Which season are you talking about where the defense showed improvement through the year? It certainly wasn't last year, maybe a year that involved N'Suh?

Last year, we definitely improved after dismal performances against Fresno State, Washington, and Wisconsin. We also showed progress in 2010 after getting torched by Oklahoma State and in 2009.

Last year people complained about a lop sided loss I.E. Wisc, Mich, SCar. And all they said that they wouldn't be as upset if the game was close. Now people are up in arms about a close loss. Can't have it both ways. The team can still win the big ten. If you forget Vtrch went 0-2 and then won the last ten games and made a BCS game after losing to James Madison. All is not lost!

Go Big Red!

Okay, this is a positive for the Blackshirts but a negative for our offense. Three of the five TDs we gave up to UCLA started DEEP in our own territory: NU 27 yd line, NU 27 yd line and NU 16 yd line. There's just no way you can keep a team out of the endzone if you give up that kind of field position. A fair amount of the blame for those three UCLA scores lies with our offense and ST for giving UCLA the ball that deep in our own territory.

(Putting up my splatter shield in case I get poop thrown at me for posting a Bleacher Report article) I know...I know...Bleacher Report does not have much respect in the world of sports journalism but this article was really good. This guy gave us props and encouraged us to hang in there:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1327582-what-nebraskas-lost-to-ucla-means-for-the-cornhuskers-2012-season

I think there were lots of positives during the game. Now that I can look back without the emotional tie in, the offense played well, overall. My BIG concern is that Martinez reverted back to bad mechanics when he felt pressure. Beck has to do a better job with the play calling for sure. I do believe we will be competitive in the B1G this year,IF, the defense can figure it out.

All bad news, no. But lots to improve before we face Wisconsin.

Positive- We can score points without having a pysical offensive line.

It is about time we face the fact that we are not going to see SmashMouth football this year. Lets all get over it and embrace these kids.

We wanted an identity and we now have it. We are a quick strike offense. "Oregon with some power" when Rex is in there".

Our linemen need to only get in the way now. As much as I want to see them get a five yard push every play, things have changed.

Maybe we need to understand this offensive system before we bash the line.

Lets go Barneys Boys.. We need you.

Rose bowl here we come for the rematch.

i was at the game riiight behind the bench and it just seemed off.... a couple of the o-line guys at one point were close to scraping until they were seperated... lots of yelling... nobody seemed on point.....

i am sure there are positives but i see it as a missed oppurtunity in a game you are expected to win you need to win... its not black and white like a many people can sometimes call... its a little bit of both and we should have some concern....

i was at the game riiight behind the bench and it just seemed off.... a couple of the o-line guys at one point were close to scraping until they were seperated... lots of yelling... nobody seemed on point.....

i am sure there are positives but i see it as a missed oppurtunity in a game you are expected to win you need to win... its not black and white like a many people can sometimes call... its a little bit of both and we should have some concern....

You're so right. However, I came onto this thread because there is so much of the other on the board right now-and rightly so, we do need lots of work, but I just wanted to hear some of the things we did well at the game and there were some. But just like when I make a mistake after doing many things well, it's the mistakes that people always remember! :)