National perception of Bo Pelini

FLU

I live in Florida. I'm not as familiar with other states in the region, but football is a youth religion here. It is year-round, in all ages, relentless competition. I assume this means players in the area improve skill and endurance faster than other regions. Not sure if it is the same now, but when I was in Western Nebraska, you had high school football season in the fall. Friday night games, mostly. And that was it.

Here, there are dozens, maybe hundreds of leagues for all types and ages, from really little guys, 5-7 years old, on up to high school. Even adult leagues for wanna-be's and never-quite-made-its. There are leagues that are known as off-season superstar leagues, which attract much of the elite high school talent that will be starters at colleges like LSU, Florida, UGA, and sometimes far off schools. It is a constant barrage, and these guys are working out and playing year-round if they want to.

The teams in a single league might be mostly 4-5 star recruits, all playing against each other, and all committed to big-time football colleges.

Just google Florida youth football leagues and you'll get a bit of what I mean.

I imagine many young athletes want to stay in their home area, or close to it, for travel purposes. They can visit home easier, and family and friends can see them easier.

Not trying to comment on Pelini's perception, as much as highlighting why the areas in the southern states might send more players to a high level, in college especially.

There are a lot of athletes in the SEC, but they can only take so many, even counting oversigning. Recruit the area hard, take the scraps and then build on them not being good enough to play in the SEC, anger develops a mean streak.

I hope we recruit better, but I hope we get good assitant coaches to. I think we will see many changes after this year. I hope we some improvement with the youth on the field this weekend.

There are a lot of athletes in the SEC, but they can only take so many, even counting oversigning. Recruit the area hard, take the scraps and then build on them not being good enough to play in the SEC, anger develops a mean streak.

I hope we recruit better, but I hope we get good assitant coaches to. I think we will see many changes after this year. I hope we some improvement with the youth on the field this weekend.

There won't be any changes to the defensive staff, unless one of them gets a better job in my opinion. The only changes I could see is Cotton. Give the guy a cozy job in the athletic department somewhere.

If the team goes in the tank, which I think is possible, he better wholesale the staff or he will be gone the following year. He needs experienced assistants, OC and DC. If he steadfastly keeps doing what he is now, he will be gone. Way too much like clownahan on stuborness.

I said I had a terrible feeling about this year, and from what I have seen so far, next year will not be better. Supposedly way too much talent setting on the bench because the play book is too tough. We are seeing what Bo's recruits can do so far this year. He better get the good ones in and quick. If Arky State does what I think they are capable of, next Saturday night is not going to be good even if we win.

If the team goes in the tank, which I think is possible, he better wholesale the staff or he will be gone the following year. He needs experienced assistants, OC and DC. If he steadfastly keeps doing what he is now, he will be gone. Way too much like clownahan on stuborness.

I said I had a terrible feeling about this year, and from what I have seen so far, next year will not be better. Supposedly way too much talent setting on the bench because the play book is too tough. We are seeing what Bo's recruits can do so far this year. He better get the good ones in and quick. If Arky State does what I think they are capable of, next Saturday night is not going to be good even if we win.

I agree that Ark. St could put up some points on us. I am very curious to see what the young guys can do this weekend. I would be a fan of dumbing down the playbook/scheme just in order to get our athletes on the field. We are SLOW with the guys we have out there now....

I've been a pretty staunch Bo supporter ever since he was hired. I still think he's the right guy but I will say that this week is the most pessimistic that I've been about him in the 5 years he's been here.

it is not good. listening to the radio, they talked a lot about how he has so many first time coaches in their positions, including himself as a head coach. i always knew that to be the case, but i never really thought about it. they talked about how a lot of the time, when a coach comes up, like solich, they have a lot of staff stay so a lot of experience around to help the new head coach develop. bo hired who he hired and he could have gone outside the program and got an established defensive coordinator. however, he went with who he wanted.

now for my point, this is bo's team and he is still a young first time coach. he showed so much to start out with that i think it was easy to expect the moon right away. (but why would we want the moon, that was odd). what i have come to realize or accept is that bo might or might not become a great head coach. i think he will, eventually. that is my point, he is going to need time. more time than most head coaches because he is learning everything for the first time. maybe beck and pooch will develop into the best coordinators on their respective side of the ball, maybe he will have to fire pooch next year and bring in zook or something crazy. who knows? all i know, or am willing to accept, is that bo deserves more time. it is irrational to think he will compete with top head coaches so soon. he has his own process he has to work through before he can reach his potential. he deserves time to make mistakes and figure this out, it will be better for the program in the long haul rather than jumping ship every 5 years and starting over when things get tough and we get 'tired of being disappointed'.

i know this has been touched on, but i thought i would post this.

Then I saw, "NEBRASKA 84, MINNESOTA 13." At that moment, I instantly became an NU fan... ~ FLU

Haha sure whatever you say, man. I'm a follower because I'd rather see where the season takes us since we're only TWO games in. Who knows maybe I'll want Bo fired come end of season. Maybe I'll think give that man a raise. At least I'm not irrational like you.

Um, you forgot to mention that I was 8 years old at the time when I became a fan.

And there's a difference between between irrational and realistic. You think that achieving 8 wins or less this year is irrational; I think it's realistic. I think that winning 11 games is irrational; you think it's realistic. We shall see.

I didn't forget... I purposely left it out. I was just quoting you. Didn't say anything beyond that. Who cares how old you were? How did you interpret it?

Now as for your whole 8 win or less vs 11 win thing. I'm not trying to debate the number of wins we have this year. Because I don't know how the season will play out. That's not what I'm arguing. So more to the point. What I really find irrational (pay attention because this important and I need your focus).. is why any individual finds it almost necessary to bring up the topic of firing our head coach when we're only 2 games into the season. If you want to talk about this towards the end of the season or even mid season, I'd say sure go for it (As long as we not 11-1 at is.. then I might say you have a mental problem) . But this year at this point we've only lost 1 game. And considering Bo's been here 4 full seasons and had at least 9 wins each season I find it ridiculous that so many individuals have found it to be their main topic of discussion in the past as well. If you don't understand that... maybe you could write a letter to Tom Osborne and see if he can help explain it to you.

Then I saw, "NEBRASKA 84, MINNESOTA 13." At that moment, I instantly became an NU fan... ~ FLU

Haha sure whatever you say, man. I'm a follower because I'd rather see where the season takes us since we're only TWO games in. Who knows maybe I'll want Bo fired come end of season. Maybe I'll think give that man a raise. At least I'm not irrational like you.

Um, you forgot to mention that I was 8 years old at the time when I became a fan.

And there's a difference between between irrational and realistic. You think that achieving 8 wins or less this year is irrational; I think it's realistic. I think that winning 11 games is irrational; you think it's realistic. We shall see.

I didn't forget... I purposely left it out. I was just quoting you. Didn't say anything beyond that. Who cares how old you were? How did you interpret it?

Now as for your whole 8 win or less vs 11 win thing. I'm not trying to debate the number of wins we have this year. Because I don't know how the season will play out. That's not what I'm arguing. So more to the point. What I really find irrational (pay attention because this important and I need your focus).. is why any individual finds it almost necessary to bring up the topic of firing our head coach when we're only 2 games into the season. If you want to talk about this towards the end of the season or even mid season, I'd say sure go for it (As long as we not 11-1 at is.. then I might say you have a mental problem) . But this year at this point we've only lost 1 game. And considering Bo's been here 4 full seasons and had at least 9 wins each season I find it ridiculous that so many individuals have found it to be their main topic of discussion in the past as well. If you don't understand that... maybe you could write a letter to Tom Osborne and see if he can help explain it to you.

Wow, really?? You hold an 8-year old accountable for jumping on a team's bandwagon? Nice.

In other news, you might want to look up the definition of the word "hypothetical" and get back to me. Webster's can probably assist you.

I don't think it's trrational at all (and apparently neither do numerous others) for this topic to be discussed. This is MORE than just 2 games we're talking about, and that's what you fail to realize. This is Year FIVE of the same mistakes being made over and over again, with little or no signs of progress or improvement, and losing to teams that we have no business losing to. People actually have us on "upset alert" for Arkansas State. Not Arkansas, Arkansas State! 'Nuff said.