National perception of Bo Pelini

FLU

While I want to see success on the field and trophies on display as much as the next guy, and we certainly have a lot of work to do, Im always sad to see Husker fans that seem willing to sell out everything just to win. To me, Nebraska football - and Nebraska in general isn't just about winning, its about doing things the right way. Doing things off the field the right way. Im incredibly proud of our coaching staff and athletic department at the level of integrity that they show and have led our program back to. How many other of these "elite" schools do we keep hearing about with athletes causing trouble, and programs under investigation. Long story short, Id rather have an ethically run program and lose some games than cheat and win them all (This is not meant to say everyone that's won has cheated or is unethical, but it does seem to be

rampant.) I would be interested to know if others on here feel the same way, or if the fan base could care less as long as we win.

Good Post.

Wow... has Nebraska really fallen that far down the totem pole that coaches no longer consider NU to be one of the top jobs in the college football world? Or was it ever? From what people have said in this thread, I guess that's the reality I have to face.

While I want to see success on the field and trophies on display as much as the next guy, and we certainly have a lot of work to do, Im always sad to see Husker fans that seem willing to sell out everything just to win. To me, Nebraska football - and Nebraska in general isn't just about winning, its about doing things the right way. Doing things off the field the right way. Im incredibly proud of our coaching staff and athletic department at the level of integrity that they show and have led our program back to. How many other of these "elite" schools do we keep hearing about with athletes causing trouble, and programs under investigation. Long story short, Id rather have an ethically run program and lose some games than cheat and win them all (This is not meant to say everyone that's won has cheated or is unethical, but it does seem to be

rampant.) I would be interested to know if others on here feel the same way, or if the fan base could care less as long as we win.

Good Post.

I agree with the above post............

From what I understand Callahan was a good recruiter and got pretty good talent here, Marlon Lucky stands out to me, but he was a terrible coach. He did nothing to coach the kids up to play on a high level in college and you got the product we seen on the field. A good coach can recruit kids, talented or not, and coach them up to be great players. I believe Bo is/will do that, but I think his major down falls are the following:

that is what i do not get. callahan got a lot of talent, we saw what bo could do with it on the defensive side of the ball in 2009. but why? callahan was not particularly good at developing that talent. recruits want to get to the nfl, so why can bo not just walk into their house with an nfl (he would need to get the written permission of the nfl and its broadcasters) game reel of suh, gomes, prince, etc. and say, if you come to NU that is where you will go.

you would think the only thing that would matter in recruiting is what coach gives you the best chance to go to the nfl. why was callahan so great and bo is struggling to figure it out? the other problem might be that he has just been a bad judge of character.

i just enjoy being a husker fan. it is about the drama. who knows how this season will end up or next season. you hope to win the games you should and over achieve throughout the year. i do not like when we lose any more than anyone else, but that is why they play the game. i just enjoy rooting for them and following the progress through the season.

I'm glad that that's enough for you. However, that's not enough for me.

well, you talk a lot about the university opening its checkbook, maybe more fans that demand so much need to do the same.

From what I understand Callahan was a good recruiter and got pretty good talent here, Marlon Lucky stands out to me, but he was a terrible coach. He did nothing to coach the kids up to play on a high level in college and you got the product we seen on the field. A good coach can recruit kids, talented or not, and coach them up to be great players. I believe Bo is/will do that, but I think his major down falls are the following:

that is what i do not get. callahan got a lot of talent, we saw what bo could do with it on the defensive side of the ball in 2009. but why? callahan was not particularly good at developing that talent. recruits want to get to the nfl, so why can bo not just walk into their house with an nfl (he would need to get the written permission of the nfl and its broadcasters) game reel of suh, gomes, prince, etc. and say, if you come to NU that is where you will go.

you would think the only thing that would matter in recruiting is what coach gives you the best chance to go to the nfl. why was callahan so great and bo is struggling to figure it out? the other problem might be that he has just been a bad judge of character.

I would guess Callahan made alot of promises, but didn't keep all of them and Bo says, "you'll have a chance, but I'm guarantee nothing!" Kids want stuff handed to them today on a silver platter.

Look at Bama and LSU and USC -- those are great recruits. And don't give me any BS about how hard it is to get kids to come to Lincoln, because neither Baton Rouge nor Tuscaloosa have anything that Lincoln doesn't have. The difference is that their programs have coaches who kids want to play for, and they don't care where the school is located. I have no doubt that if Saban began coaching in Alaska, he'd still finish in the Top 5 for recruiting.

So, I started reading this thread just for the fun of it, and then i saw this, and i lol'd. I think you need to look at high school football in Louisiana and Alabama, and compare it with Nebraska.

If you can't see the difference, you're a dumbass.

*edited via mod request.

Look at Bama and LSU and USC -- those are great recruits. And don't give me any BS about how hard it is to get kids to come to Lincoln, because neither Baton Rouge nor Tuscaloosa have anything that Lincoln doesn't have. The difference is that their programs have coaches who kids want to play for, and they don't care where the school is located. I have no doubt that if Saban began coaching in Alaska, he'd still finish in the Top 5 for recruiting.

So, I started reading this thread just for the fun of it, and then i saw this, and i lol'd. I think you need to look at high school football in Louisiana and Alabama, and compare it with Nebraska.

If you can't see the difference, you're retarded.

Tack on that last part as well and that's why I've had a hard time taking this guy seriously.

Baton Rogue and Tuscaloosa are significantly better places for a recruit to go. Why? First, it's the SEC. Second, it's warm weathered. Third, the girls are beautiful down there. This isn't to knock Nebraska (or our women - we have a lot of beauties here too), but look at it logically. It may sound ridiculous, but I did a little recruiting coverage a couple of years ago for the university. You'd be absolutely amazed at how much recruits care about the SEC and the warm weather. They know it's the best conference, the news reinforces this, and they like the idea of not fighting 10 degree temperatures and runny noses in January. Rather, they can pack up the car and head to a beach.

Lastly, I'd like to point out the difference between a reason and an excuse. Reasons provide accountability, while excuses tend to lessen the liability on a given party. Reasons also tend to have their foundations based in fact, whereas excuses can often be misleading. Example for reason - Nebraska failed to stop the run Saturday because they couldn't shed blocks, got beat at the point of attack, and lacked basic fundamentals. Example for excuse - Nebraska failed to stop the run Saturday because "they didn't want it" enough.

One gives sound, reasoned analysis. The other passes accountability onto something less substantial. It's very tricky wading through the BS that can be excuses/reasons, and I realize my examples aren't the best. It really comes down to how you say something and where you put the blame. If you put it on yourself, it's a reason. If you put it on extenuating factors, it's more of an excuse.

• Fire 1

location, winning more, recruiting hot beds, has prob the most to do with it, just coach the defense better and we will be fine.. thats all it is...offense was terrible for a few years, now the defense is slacking in a big way...get em both fixed in one year and we will have a pretty good season, in fact we might do pretty well this season, if bo can get this defense serviceable

Hahaha. If you honestly believe what you said right there.... I must respectively say you might be kinda stupid... respectfully of course.

Please let me know what Baton Rouge and Tuscaloosa have that Lincoln doesn't. Please tell me.

Don't fool yourself. Saban wasn't Saban at Michigan State because he was at Michigan State in the midwest. LSU was always loaded with in-state talent that wants to stay home and play...making them a power was easy. Same with Bama...tradition, Southern talent...cupcake. Turning around Nebraska would be far more difficult for Saban. The college football landscape has changed. All the Southern kids - where the talent comes from - are staying home. It's the SEC - place to be. They aren't going North to NU, Notre Dame, Michigan.

Look...the Top States that produce the MOST NFL TALENT PER CAPITA!

1. Louisiana

2. Mississippi

3. South Carolina

4. Alabama

5. Florida

The Top States overall in producing NFL talent:

1. California

2. Florida

3. Texas

The South is highly concentrated with NFL studs. The Coasts and Texas have the rest of the talent with their population size. Husker football is in Lincoln in the middle of nowhere with talent that can't compete with the South. It's simple - there's only so much elite talent to go around. For Nebraska to be powerful again, some Southern powers are going to have to go in the tank again.

Nebraska Harry, at least I'm not afraid to go against the grain and have an original thought... you, on the other hand, are the biggest follower on this entire board. All you do is go along with the popular opinion and then act like you know something.

Baton Rogue and Tuscaloosa are significantly better places for a recruit to go. Why? First, it's the SEC. Second, it's warm weathered. Third, the girls are beautiful down there. This isn't to knock Nebraska (or our women - we have a lot of beauties here too), but look at it logically. It may sound ridiculous, but I did a little recruiting coverage a couple of years ago for the university. You'd be absolutely amazed at how much recruits care about the SEC and the warm weather. They know it's the best conference, the news reinforces this, and they like the idea of not fighting 10 degree temperatures and runny noses in January. Rather, they can pack up the car and head to a beach.

Lastly, I'd like to point out the difference between a reason and an excuse. Reasons provide accountability, while excuses tend to lessen the liability on a given party. Reasons also tend to have their foundations based in fact, whereas excuses can often be misleading. Example for reason - Nebraska failed to stop the run Saturday because they couldn't shed blocks, got beat at the point of attack, and lacked basic fundamentals. Example for excuse - Nebraska failed to stop the run Saturday because "they didn't want it" enough.

One gives sound, reasoned analysis. The other passes accountability onto something less substantial. It's very tricky wading through the BS that can be excuses/reasons, and I realize my examples aren't the best. It really comes down to how you say something and where you put the blame. If you put it on yourself, it's a reason. If you put it on extenuating factors, it's more of an excuse.

Well said, and respectfully done, unlike other certain smartasses.

Nebraska Harry, at least I'm not afraid to go against the grain and have an original thought... you, on the other hand, are the biggest follower on this entire board. All you do is go along with the popular opinion and then act like you know something.

We do still have a rule against personal attacks on this board. Disagree with his points all you want, but if you want to call someone out, go to the Woodshed.