National perception of Bo Pelini

FLU

620684_10151220850896979_1624743678_o.jpg

I wonder if this is when Harvey Jackson had the defensive hold that caused UCLA to get a first down. I'd be an upset coach too.

You criticize the coach for getting pissed off at his own players. Have you ever considered looking in the mirror that some of you do the same thing, you may not say it to their face, but I've heard plenty of so called "fans" have some pretty nasty words for our own players.

• Fire 3

This is all just hypothetically speaking. We all know that Saban, as well as the other aforementioned coaches, would not come here. The question posed is that IF one of them came here and was able to recruit top-notch talent like we agree they would do, then why can't our current coaches?

Simple, we haven't won anything since the 90's. Win a couple of BCS bowls and we are good to go. Saban wouldn't have as much of problem with recruiting. His name and what he has done would carry a lot of weight.

Look, the reality is Nebraska has and will always be a tough place to recruit to. Selling the kids on tradition and facilities to high school kids is a tough sell. Granted, they will get a good education too, but you can get that at a lot of colleges. Let's face it, when you put Lincoln, Nebraska up against other areas you can see how a kid might choose to go somewhere else.

Recruiting has been an issue over the past several years, and I wonder what is the root cause of the problem. And as far as I can figure, it's that kids nationally don't get excited thinking about playing for Bo. Others have told me that I'm wrong and that he's "highly regarded" in coaching circles, but we're not talking about coaching circles; we're talking about high school kids. They want to play for guys like Saban, Meyer, Miles, and Kiffin. As stated in another thread, I had one of my own D-1 prospects tell me that the Nebraska coach is "kinda crazy." How can we expect to get elite players if they don't consider Bo to be an elite coach to play for?

Tell me what kind of "ethics" and "morality" you believe these coaches listed have in relation to the former and current NCAA recruiting rules? Ya, they seem to get the players I want ... but how do they get them and what do they do with these scholarships if they "under perform" or have the next great player?

i just enjoy being a husker fan. it is about the drama. who knows how this season will end up or next season. you hope to win the games you should and over achieve throughout the year. i do not like when we lose any more than anyone else, but that is why they play the game. i just enjoy rooting for them and following the progress through the season.

I'm glad that that's enough for you. However, that's not enough for me.

Like I said before, some people just don't get it. It's not that hard to understand. I know that we are at a disadvantage talent-wise and location-wise. The point is, if we are forced to look for another coach somewhere down the road, we need to find someone who has the appeal/respect/notoriety to help us overcome those obstacles and make recruits want to come to Lincoln. If we have to open the pocketbook in order to find such a coach, then open it. However, some people feel that there's nothing we can do to attract such a coach, and so basically we are just stuck where we are and this is as good as it's going to get.

FLU, how many championships did Saban have at Michigan State? How many did Miles have at Oklahoma State? How many did Urban Meyer have at Utah? What kind of GREAT recruiting classes were they getting?

Did they become different types of coaches, or did the schools the coach for change?

A great coach can become a championship coach by being at the "right" school.

I believe Pelini is starting to understand the importance of recruiting, frustratingly it took 2.5 years. But it is "improving". It will get better if/when Nebraska wins something.

• Fire 2

toms osborns recurting classes were not top 10 classes if i remember...seemed like he had lot of 15 or 16 ranked recruiting classes...tom gave a kid a chance, were other schools would not, got to give him credit for that, even though some of em turned out sour later in life... i just don,t understand why nu,s defense gives up some many yds....the defense basically lost the game for nu, not the offense.

FLU, how many championships did Saban have at Michigan State? How many did Miles have at Oklahoma State? How many did Urban Meyer have at Utah? What kind of GREAT recruiting classes were they getting?

Did they become different types of coaches, or did the schools the coach for change?

A great coach can become a championship coach by being at the "right" school.

I believe Pelini is starting to understand the importance of recruiting, frustratingly it took 2.5 years. But it is "improving". It will get better if/when Nebraska wins something.

You are correct. I never really looked at it from that perspective.