National perception of Bo Pelini

FLU

Like I said before, some people just don't get it. It's not that hard to understand. I know that we are at a disadvantage talent-wise and location-wise. The point is, if we are forced to look for another coach somewhere down the road, we need to find someone who has the appeal/respect/notoriety to help us overcome those obstacles and make recruits want to come to Lincoln. If we have to open the pocketbook in order to find such a coach, then open it. However, some people feel that there's nothing we can do to attract such a coach, and so basically we are just stuck where we are and this is as good as it's going to get.

You know, we did that. We opened the pocketbook far and wide-we hired Bill Callahan. NFL coach-won a super bowl. Well, you know the rest. It's always interesting to me that right after we lose a 'game we shouldn't have lost' (I'm still not convinced we 'shouldn't have lost' that game. UCLA may go on to win the Pac-10. If they do we won't feel so badly about this lost) people start talking about a coaching change. It happens every single time! AND THEN these same people (not saying that you are one of those people in particular) get all bent out of shape when other really good teams have Bo on their list as Head Coach material!! So, while I respect your opinion, FLU, I disagree with it.

Flu: Give me 5 names that you think would come here next year and be better than Bo. Also, how far do you open the checkbook? Bo is at 3M/year. How much furhter past that do you go? Also, what happens if that does not pan out? Do we go further into the wallet and look for someone else? It took Osborne 23 seasons to win a NC and he had ALOT of losses he wished he could have back. Give this time. They are still winning the vast majority of their games and until that stops this shold not even be a conversation.

Once again, who said anything about next year?

Thanks for sharing! It's always good to get to know the folks who post on this board. I feel your frustration, I'm sure many of us do. I just don't agree that a coaching change is necessary. I guess I would like to see Bo develop the way Dr. Tom did. Like a fine wine. You might even buy an expensive wine and it will be just awful (ala Callahan) but a fine wine builds on its flavor over time. :) I think something that made Dr. Osborne great was what he did over time. He was allowed to develop his players, develop his coaches and look at the results. I know it appears that it's taking Bo so long to get things done but I believe it is a work in process. Not unlike the middle school students you probably teach. :) (I'm at the elementary level myself-speech path!) You probably look at some of those kids and think they'll never learn anything but then they come back to you and say, 'Thanks for being such a great teacher! I learned so much from you and am now a freshman at (? university). Just a thought. Please continue to post. This board is like one big family. We might not always agree with our 'brothers and sisters', we may even fight with them but if your Husker back was against the wall we would all be there to stand up for you and our team. GO BIG RED!

You know, as much as I have had specific criticisms of Bo Pelini, I think the national perception is highly flawed.

I think he's a good coach who, for his students, is maybe the best thing for them. He isn't perfect even in that regard, but his sideline temper is a total non-issue. It's just something that people will pick on, if they want something to pick on Bo for. I think he's running this program, by and large, the right way and that is what ultimately matters. Even more than W's and L's, but of course, this 'perception' talk isn't so much about his abilities as a coach as it is about whether or not we should issue indictments of his character. I don't think we should.

I'll draw an analogy to our former coach, Bill Callahan. His sideline fire was highly commendable on a number of occasions. His players were getting harassed by OU fans and he urled a pretty awesome, and pretty memorable expletive back at them. He would get in refs' faces a number of times when he felt the call was bad. Of course now he's ridiculed for both those things, including the widely misinterpreted throat-slash ('I've had it up to here').

The point is, coaches that do good work for the student athletes in the program, their character often gets unfairly dragged through the mud when we find it convenient to. When we dislike the job a coach is doing we try to blow them up into some larger evil...when such a dramatization is very, very rarely fair.

All recruits need to know is that Bo's troops would run through a brick wall for him. Our issues with recruiting have not been Bo - they've been with organization and effort and treatment of the recruiting process (IMO).

+1 to you sir that is a good post and i agree with it

Like I said before, some people just don't get it. It's not that hard to understand. I know that we are at a disadvantage talent-wise and location-wise. The point is, if we are forced to look for another coach somewhere down the road, we need to find someone who has the appeal/respect/notoriety to help us overcome those obstacles and make recruits want to come to Lincoln. If we have to open the pocketbook in order to find such a coach, then open it. However, some people feel that there's nothing we can do to attract such a coach, and so basically we are just stuck where we are and this is as good as it's going to get.

You know, we did that. We opened the pocketbook far and wide-we hired Bill Callahan. NFL coach-won a super bowl. Well, you know the rest. It's always interesting to me that right after we lose a 'game we shouldn't have lost' (I'm still not convinced we 'shouldn't have lost' that game. UCLA may go on to win the Pac-10. If they do we won't feel so badly about this lost) people start talking about a coaching change. It happens every single time! AND THEN these same people (not saying that you are one of those people in particular) get all bent out of shape when other really good teams have Bo on their list as Head Coach material!! So, while I respect your opinion, FLU, I disagree with it.

Flu: Give me 5 names that you think would come here next year and be better than Bo. Also, how far do you open the checkbook? Bo is at 3M/year. How much furhter past that do you go? Also, what happens if that does not pan out? Do we go further into the wallet and look for someone else? It took Osborne 23 seasons to win a NC and he had ALOT of losses he wished he could have back. Give this time. They are still winning the vast majority of their games and until that stops this shold not even be a conversation.

Once again, who said anything about next year?

For argument sake, pick some names for next year.

I live in Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge sucks.

Well, they're obviously doing something right, aren't they? Doesn't matter what it is, they're top 5 we aren't. game. set. match. We're improving noticeably and I can't stand Husker fans like you that after a heartbreaking loss completely whine for the next week about the state of the team instead of being a supportive fan.

edit: guys! I'm on the Travel Squad!!! woooo hooo! 102!

Youre kidding, right? What part of Saturday looked improved to you?

And....?

What does this mean?

Was just showing who I am. Jeez.

We know who you are. You're a Husker fan. You wear red, you bleed red, you root for the same team we root for.

We don't need bona fides from you (or anyone) for your opinion to be valid. Don't think you have to prove yourself. Just state your case and make your point. If someone doesn't agree.... eh. No worries.

It just seemed to me like you were trying to show that you really are a genuine Husker fan, that you do care. I think that's a given already, and I don't want you or anyone to feel like you have to prove your fandom. It's pretty clear you care.

(cute kid, BTW. Takes after her mom?)

And....?

What does this mean?

We know who you are. You're a Husker fan. You wear red, you bleed red, you root for the same team we root for.

We don't need bona fides from you (or anyone) for your opinion to be valid. Don't think you have to prove yourself. Just state your case and make your point. If someone doesn't agree.... eh. No worries.

It just seemed to me like you were trying to show that you really are a genuine Husker fan, that you do care. I think that's a given already, and I don't want you or anyone to feel like you have to prove your fandom. It's pretty clear you care.

The ones who truly care are the ones that are tired of the crap we saw last Saturday as well as the last 14 years. It's beyond old and the excuse train just keeps rolling along

Thanks.

(and yes... and she's a Husker fan.)

And....?

What does this mean?

The ones who truly care are the ones that are tired of the crap we saw last Saturday as well as the last 14 years. It's beyond old and the excuse train just keeps rolling along

Excuses.

You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I see plenty of reasons refuting your argument. I see no excuses.

All I know is that IMO, Bo will never be able to atract the kind of recruits that we need to return to the national title picture. Just my opinion, although it's been pointed out to me several times that it doesn't matter; Bo is the best we will ever be able to get because no other proven coach would ever want to come here, so we had better just hope that his national aura (or lack thereof) improves and that he becomes a better recruiter, or that we win a conference title which will in turn attract better recruits.