National perception of Bo Pelini

FLU

Let's assume IF.... Do you have any hire suggestions?

My #1 choice would be Chris Petersen. I also think highly of Gary Patterson. I'm a Rich Rod fan as well. Bobby Petrino.

Chris Petersen had a blank check he could have filled in to go to UCLA. He declined.

Gary Patterson has turned down several offers as well.

Rich Rod? Because he did great in the Big Ten. Good Lord.

If you think Nebraska alums would put up with Petrino's crap with the rations of sh#t they threw at Pelini after A&M 2010, than I question how miss walls when you walk.

If Pelini gets canned, you watch, Nebraska will be poison.

I've been a party to the "Fire a coach with no concept of who we'd hire" plan. I don't wish to live it again.

Nebraska was severely broken in 2007. No one wants to admit that, but it was. Pelini needs more time. Regardless of what this seasons's record is.

OK, so, according to your rationale, I guess we're just permanently stuck with Bo, no matter what, since no other decent coach would ever consider coming here.

Hmm, well this is good to know. Thanks for clalrifying. I guess we're just stuck with mediocrity forever... why do I even bother then??

Got me. Maybe you like being irrationally angry.

Bo was given an impossible task to recover a recruiting year going in to the 08 season. Which, lo and behold, was four years ago. We'll ignore the logic there, I don't want your head to explode.

Now, he could have gone the Saban route, or Kiffin, and been less than honorable about how he filled said recruiting class. I think we all know at this point how Pelini feels about that method. Or NU for that matter.

So Pelini, a first time head coach, learns as he goes, in both recruiting and coaching. And lo and behold, after four years, certain things are better. X's and O's ( there were many, MANY instances where someone was in position to make a great play Saturday) and recruiting (Cross, Stanton, Armstrong), but there are still growing pains (the most experienced players are the weakest recruiting class, for example).

You can appreciate the process that was given to this programs greatest coach ever, or you can blow it up. I'm glad you have no real power to make such a choice.

NebraskaHarry, the "point" is the kind of coach we need to try to acquire IF things don't work out with Bo -- a coach who is established and nationally respected, one who can lure top-tier recruits to want to come here. Simple as that.

so if we need another coach, we should get one. one that is better than bo and top of their field. good thread.

• Fire 1

So what you're saying is we should NOT fire Bo Pelini?.. If so your only point this whole time was to say that we should consider other coaches, but not fire Bo Pelini?

Dude, you're killin me here.

This is all HYPOTHETICALLY speaking. No we should NOT fire Bo, that would be plain stupid. We are talking about IF he starts going backwards and does end up getting fired somewhee vown the road.

Hypothetically we could win the Big 10 and play UCLA in the Rose Bowl.

Ive noticed that the top level talent always goes to teams who have recently won a national championship too. When Florida was in their prime every kid at the Under Armor All Star game was going there. Auburn had it for a year, Alabama, Lsu, Usc ,etc. Its been a long time for us. All of them want to go to the NFL too and the exposure will be more on a national champion contender.

Not always talent either. Texas, Notre Dame,and a few others have top recruiting classes and still suck. Then you had Boise ST. Utah, etc. go undefeated with very low ranked talent.

Location, weather ,girls, family etc DO play a major factor in an 18 yr old kids mind.Some of those kids have never left that area , Why in the world would they want to go somewhere far away where they know nobody, freeze to death, and have their families miss most, if not all of their, games?

I really have a hard time believing that our upper classmen DL players havent been taught and coached how to tackle better than that. Do coaches really tell them to run up to the ball carrier and not wrap him up or grab him, just let him run for 20 more yards? Dont know for sure why this is happening , just dont think its coaching.

so if we need another coach, we should get one. one that is better than bo and top of their field. good thread

But sadly, we'll never be able to get someone better, so I've been told, so therefore we are stuck wsith mediocrity forever, and can only hope and pray that Bo will improve and somehow change his national image and learn how to recruit.

but what if, let us just say we win 11 games this season, hypothetically. then what?

If that happens, I'll leave this board forever.

that would be the worst time to leave. stick around, especially if that does happen.

And I'll be man enough to admit I was wrong. And if they achieve 8 wins or less, like I predicted before the season, will you (or any of these others) be willing to do the same?

so if we need another coach, we should get one. one that is better than bo and top of their field. good thread

But sadly, we'll never be able to get someone better, so I've been told, so therefore we are stuck wsith mediocrity forever, and can only hope and pray that Bo will improve and somehow change his national image and learn how to recruit.

why do you believe he can not do those things? because he has not already after only 4 years of being here?

How do we know that guys like Gary Patterson or Chris Peterson would do well at Lincoln?

but what if, let us just say we win 11 games this season, hypothetically. then what?

that would be the worst time to leave. stick around, especially if that does happen.

And I'll be man enough to admit I was wrong. And if they achieve 8 wins or less, like I predicted before the season, will you (or any of these others) be willing to do the same?

Nope because it was all hypothetical.

why do you believe he can not do those things? because he has not already after only 4 years of being here?

Yes, that is my opinion. I don't see us ever winning a NC or returning to "elite" status with Bo as HC.

Nope because it was all hypothetical.

:facepalm:

i have not really made any predictions, i just enjoy the ride. but if they do achieve 8 wins or less, like you predicted before the season, i encourage you to admit you were right here on the board.