Are we a mid-major?

treyball3

I saw a post-game Beck quote something to the effect of "Sometimes I get stubborn when something doesn't work, and I keep trying it. I put away my small hammer and get a bigger hammer and try to force things." This was in response to the horrid play calling in the 4th quarter/2nd half.

As I read that, it hit me... are we a friggin mid-major team now? Is Nebraska really a place where coaches come to learn the game?? A statement like that just makes me think that Beck is way over his head. An offensive coordinator should be learning how to call an offense at a MAC or SunBelt school, or an FCS school. NOT at Nebraska.

I know some of this was talked about in the past when coaches were hired. But it really hit me again after that quote. Think about how many coaches we have here that are learning their job... Bo learning to be a head coach, Beck learning to be an OC. JP learning to be a DC, the golf pro.... etc etc.

Is this really what we've become??

I like Bo in general. But I think he's over his head. I'm not calling for his firing, we've won 9 games for 4 years, one of only a few schools to do it. But that streak might be in trouble this season...

Every legendary coach started somewhere. (So did every coach who was terrible, I'll grant you that :lol:)

I actually find it highly encouraging that the guy is willing to publicly acknowledge that he made a mistake, and then went on to detail how he was wrong. The people who gain the most wisdom in life, in any avenue, are the one's who are willing to humbly admit flaws. That's the first step in learning a better way to do whatever it is that you've faltered in.

I LOVE hearing Beck say that. Makes me believe the guy doesn't think he has it all figured out. People with that attitude tend to grow rather than stagnate.

• Fire 1

I like that Beck is pointing the thumb here, but I know at one point last year he said almost the exact same thing...that he was too stubborn with his playcalling. This wasn't the sole reason we lost, but seeing a few of our 3 & out drives was frustrating. Twice is a trend to me. The things that worry me are that we (coaches, players, fans) panic when we fall behind.

Mid-major? No way. I do think the players and coaches let themselves down, though.