Beck's comments on Martinez

lo country

Not sure about the Beck quote but once UCLA decided to bring the heat Beck seemed to no answer to the agressive D. Would liked to have seen a draw or screen pass ........

Ya or some more sweeps with the pulling guard. Just something to wear the Bruins down, even if Superman is on teh bench.

I think TM owned up to any criticism. I think he will improve over the course of the year. Does get frustrating to see the wheels fall off for everyone on offense whenever they get rattled - including TM. The QB should remain steady and calm when the other team seizes momentum. As long as he does that, stays focused, makes good decisions, remains a passer and doesnt let his emotions turn him into a thrower, he will be fine. It's his third year, it will all come together for him.

You do realize Beck, immediately after the game, said that he made some poor offensive play calls right?

Maybe you should mix that in with the criticism of Martinez.

PS - Not the first coach to criticize Martinez in public, nor is it the first player to be criticized in public by the current coaching staff.

I don't really think we're at a point where we've developed the screen game into our arsenal too much. I could be wrong. It is not as simple as just drawing it up and calling it, though. Some coaches really focus on developing a screen game -- it was one of Callahan's strengths as an offensive coordinator. But I'm not sure if this is the case with the offense we're running now, and not sure if Taylor a) isn't too busy working on other pass plays, and b) has gotten to a point where he throws that soft screen pass more reliably than he used to.

I think we've seen a few screens to the outside WRs, but not sure if we have seen one to the RB yet. That RB bubble screen, or whatever it's called. Big on timing, and requires poise under pressure.

They should have lined it up in the I, two TE set, and just pounded the UCLA D-line into submission. For some reason, Beck refuse to go to the running game win things start to go south. It would calm down the offensive line and the QB!! All the O-line has to focus on is powering off the ball at the man in front and the QB can focus on getting his head in the game by handing the ball off and watching it. Football 101!!!

They should have lined it up in the I, two TE set, and just pounded the UCLA D-line into submission. For some reason, Beck refuse to go to the running game win things start to go south. It would calm down the offensive line and the QB!! All the O-line has to focus on is powering off the ball at the man in front and the QB can focus on getting his head in the game by handing the ball off and watching it. Football 101!!!

I agree. I would have thought with how bad the defense was playing they would have wanted to use the clock and get a score instead of passing preserving the clock when it was obvious it wasn't working. We marched down the field running right at them. We stopped after being stalled by one bad play call.

As far as Becks comments, I think people need to listen to the interview and see that the op didn't put the question leading up to Becks comment that people are complaining about. He was simply agreeing with what Martinez said to the same Reporter on his assesment of what happened. He was NOT throwing him under the bus.