Us Ambassador to Libya killed by Militants

Iran is only our enemy because we insist they be.

Why do you believe that the Iranians helped us with our invasion of Afghanistan?

The USAToday article says members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard fought with Afghan rebels, and were present when US forces showed up to get them organized. This is a far cry from the Iranians helping us with the invasion - they were already on the ground when we happened upon the scene.

This goes nowhere to getting us to the point that "Iran is only our enemy because we insist they be." Iran is our enemy because they choose to be. They are equal partners in the "let's be enemies" dance.

LINK

No other prominent Republican, even those who have vigorously criticized Obama in the past, has spoken out against the president on this issue. Sens. John McCain and Mitch McConnell, as well as House Speaker John Boehner, have stepped before microphones to condemn the attacks, mourn the deaths, and assert American unity in seeking justice. These politicians know, as Romney apparently doesn’t, that in these sorts of crises, the proper thing to do is to rally around the flag.

Ironically, it’s also the politically smart thing to do. Imagine if Romney had called President Obama, asked how he could be of assistance in this time of crisis, offered to appear at his side at a press conference to demonstrate that, when American lives are at risk, politics stop at the water’s edge—and then had his staff put out the word that he’d done these things, which would have made him look noble and might have made Obama look like the petty one if he’d waved away these offers.

But none of this is in Romney. He imagined a chink in Obama’s armor, an opening for a political assault on the president’s strength and leadership, and so he dashed to the barricades without a moment of reflection, a nod to propriety, or a smidgen of good strategy.

OH good friggen Lord....

When Bush was in office and we had troops on the ground in two different countries, the Dems politicized every move that was made to the max. It was happening the minute we started the fight after 9/11.

Now, I agree we need to rally around the flag and support our efforts here. But, Dems acting all pompous on this issue about makes me puke.

A very broad statement like this gets us nowhere in the discussion that Mitt Romney stepped in a big steaming pile like some rank amateur in this instance.

As for when/where/what we started the minute after 9/11, that's very debatable. We had unity in congress like no other time in the months after 9/11. Both parties came together to "bring the bad guys to justice."

It would help if you could cite specifics about the "dems politicizing every move" at that point. Regardless, it's clear that there were many, many decisions made that should not have been made in the aftermath of 9/11. Attacking Iraq being foremost on that list.

OH good friggen Lord....

When Bush was in office and we had troops on the ground in two different countries, the Dems politicized every move that was made to the max. It was happening the minute we started the fight after 9/11.

Now, I agree we need to rally around the flag and support our efforts here. But, Dems acting all pompous on this issue about makes me puke.

Can you find a statement from John Kerry saying that George W. Bush sympathizes with the people who killed our troops? (Or an equally prominent DNC politician saying that W. sympathized with the 9/11 attackers?) Because that would be comparable.

If not . . . well . . . you're blowing smoke.

There's no denying the Democrats' tactics were pretty low-class during the Bush era. I was not a fan of the Dem party at that time, just as I am disgusted by the Republican party at this time. Politics. It's teh suck.

But, there's a way out. Instead of choosing to perpetuate this cycle - "I'm going to dismiss this current outrage because YOU GUYZ also were classless back in the day", we can choose to divest ourselves from party allegiances entirely.

OH good friggen Lord....

Can you find a statement from John Kerry saying that George W. Bush sympathizes with the people who killed our troops? Because that would be comparable.

If not . . . well . . . you're blowing smoke.

yeah, that is an odd stance. dems criticizing bush's foreign policy is 100% different than romney criticizing obama because americans were attacked and killed abroad. tit for tat is never good for discourse or discussion, but this is really bizarre.

There's no denying the Democrats' tactics were pretty low-class during the Bush era. I was not a fan of the Dem party at that time, just as I am disgusted by the Republican party at this time. Politics. It's teh suck.

But, there's a way out. Instead of choosing to perpetuate this cycle - "I'm going to dismiss this current outrage because YOU GUYZ also were classless back in the day", we can choose to divest ourselves from party allegiances entirely.

well said.

I'm disgusted with both.

Yep. I was also disgusted with the Democrats at that time. I was in college and remember some students introducing themselves during icebreakers like this: "I'm Sarah . . . and I hate George W. Bush." If the most interesting thing that you can think of at any given time is how much you dislike the president . . . well . . .

OH good friggen Lord....

Was that initially, or after the gross mismanagement became apparent?

Iran is only our enemy because we insist they be.

Why do you believe that the Iranians helped us with our invasion of Afghanistan?

The USAToday article says members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard fought with Afghan rebels, and were present when US forces showed up to get them organized. This is a far cry from the Iranians helping us with the invasion - they were already on the ground when we happened upon the scene.

This goes nowhere to getting us to the point that "Iran is only our enemy because we insist they be." Iran is our enemy because they choose to be. They are equal partners in the "let's be enemies" dance.

I'm sure you realize how much trouble Iran could have made for us in Afghanistan.

http://iranprimer.us...and-afghanistan

After al Qaeda's 9/11 attacks, Iran was the recipient of an unintended strategic gift from Washington. The Taliban, who had developed a symbiotic relationship with al Qaeda, were forcefully removed from power after the United States provided air power and intelligence for the Northern Alliance, Iran's ally. Iranian military advisors rubbed shoulders with U.S. military personnel in the Northern Alliance areas. Tehran even said it would give sanctuary for distressed U.S. military personnel inside its territory. It also allowed the United States to transport humanitarian goods to Afghanistan through Iranian land. Iran reportedly suggested the best targets for U.S. bombers.

Iran also participated in the U.S.-sponsored Bonn Conference in December 2001. U.S. and Iranian envoys worked together at the conference-the most fruitful encounter between the two since the 1979 revolution. Both wanted Afghanistan free of the Taliban and al Qaeda. Iran favored the return of President Rabbani, but it agreed to support U.S.-backed Hamid Karzai. The tactical cooperation between the United States and Iran continued, even as they were competing for greater influence in a new Afghanistan. Iranian cooperation with the United States ended in 2002, after President George Bush cited Iran as a member of the "axis of evil."

OH good friggen Lord....

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner.

I'm sure you realize how much trouble Iran could have made for us in Afghanistan.

http://iranprimer.us...and-afghanistan

After al Qaeda's 9/11 attacks, Iran was the recipient of an unintended strategic gift from Washington. The Taliban, who had developed a symbiotic relationship with al Qaeda, were forcefully removed from power after the United States provided air power and intelligence for the Northern Alliance, Iran's ally. Iranian military advisors rubbed shoulders with U.S. military personnel in the Northern Alliance areas. Tehran even said it would give sanctuary for distressed U.S. military personnel inside its territory. It also allowed the United States to transport humanitarian goods to Afghanistan through Iranian land. Iran reportedly suggested the best targets for U.S. bombers.

Iran also participated in the U.S.-sponsored Bonn Conference in December 2001. U.S. and Iranian envoys worked together at the conference-the most fruitful encounter between the two since the 1979 revolution. Both wanted Afghanistan free of the Taliban and al Qaeda. Iran favored the return of President Rabbani, but it agreed to support U.S.-backed Hamid Karzai. The tactical cooperation between the United States and Iran continued, even as they were competing for greater influence in a new Afghanistan. Iranian cooperation with the United States ended in 2002, after President George Bush cited Iran as a member of the "axis of evil."

So... the old "enemy of my enemy is my friend," at least temporarily. In one instance, for a while, Iran wasn't totally antagonistic towards the U.S., and vice versa.

In what way does any of this get you to the conclusion that "Iran is only our enemy because we insist they be." ???

Further, does this brief interlude of amicability amidst decades of hostility mean, in your opinion, that Iran really, truly wants peace with America, and is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for us to extend our hand? Because if so, how do you explain their continued sponsoring of terrorism, up to and including continuing to arm the Taliban as recently as 2008?

LINK

British special forces operating on the border between Afghanistan and Iran have uncovered fresh evidence that Tehran is actively backing insurgents fighting UK troops.

Documented proof that Iran is supplying the Taliban with devastating roadside bomb-making equipment has been passed by British officials to Tehran, prompting fears that the war in Afghanistan may escalate into a regional armed conflict.

Days after Prime Minister Gordon Brown warned President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that Britain would freeze the assets of Iran's largest bank to discourage Tehran from developing nuclear weapons, Whitehall sources revealed that they had forwarded 'documentation' that the Iranian authorities were supplying enemy forces in Afghanistan.

'We have given Tehran documentation of things that we are concerned about, but of course they have denied it,' a Whitehall source said.

Nato spokesman James Appathurai echoed concerns that elements in Iran are providing support to insurgents fighting British troops. He said: 'Weapons of Iranian origin have turned up in Afghanistan in significant numbers.'

OH good friggen Lord....

There was some that was instant. Other stuff that the Dems used politically that was disgusting.

So... the old "enemy of my enemy is my friend," at least temporarily. In one instance, for a while, Iran wasn't totally antagonistic towards the U.S., and vice versa.

Do you now agree that they had been helpful?

I'll have to get back to you later on the rest.

Have you done any searches on Iran's outreaches to the US?

Also you mentioned Iran backed attacks on British troops. have you researched US/UK support of terrorism inside Iran?

If you want to do that, start with our support for MeK and PJAK.

OH good friggen Lord....

There was some that was instant. Other stuff that the Dems used politically that was disgusting.

Site please.