Us Ambassador to Libya killed by Militants

Nuke the middle east from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

We failed by effing up multiple nations, so we should kill millions of people we already screwed because a few fanatics can't be controlled by the instability we created?

What? Ok, being serious now, how is this our fault? You honestly believe that throwing money and guns at Gaddafi, Mubarak, and Bashar al-Assad to put down indigenous uprising would have created a more desirable outcome?

Fact is, there's a large group of people from Morocco to Pakistan that will only be happy riding in the back of a Toyota Hilux with an AK-47 shouting "god is great", killing anyone who doesn't shout "god is great". That's about all I can surmise. We stood aside and tacitly helped overthrow the oppressive dictators that were the ostensible source of all their problems, and we shouldn't spend another drop of American blood or treasure trying to help as long as it's mob rule or militant in back of Toyota Hilux rule.

We failed by effing up multiple nations, so we should kill millions of people we already screwed because a few fanatics can't be controlled by the instability we created?

. . . maybe krill needed to include the "insert sarcasm here" emoticon . . . I didn't think that anyone would actually take that seriously.

krill was quoting Aliens, a film which also mentions the great state of Nebraska.

-1 to everyone for not knowing that.

What? Ok, being serious now, how is this our fault? You honestly believe that throwing money and guns at Gaddafi, Mubarak, and Bashar al-Assad to put down indigenous uprising would have created a more desirable outcome?

First of all; Mubarak fell in Egypt without external military aid. Gaddafi fell only because of large scale NATO and GCC involvement. The same strategy is favored in Syria by many.

Fact is, there's a large group of people from Morocco to Pakistan that will only be happy riding in the back of a Toyota Hilux with an AK-47 shouting "god is great", killing anyone who doesn't shout "god is great". That's about all I can surmise. We stood aside and tacitly helped overthrow the oppressive dictators that were the ostensible source of all their problems...

Where does that happen, other than in a region that we (or a proxy) have either destroyed the civilian infrastructure or threaten to do so?

We helped deposed Gaddafi because he had resources we wanted and was a threat to introduce an African currency that would be a rival to the dollar. There are worse dictatorships in that region (especially the Gulf), but they are our allies.

… and we shouldn't spend another drop of American blood or treasure trying to help as long as it's mob rule or militant in back of Toyota Hilux rule.

We only spend a lot of blood and treasure to keep neoliberal leaders in place who are our friends, which is why there are “militants in back of Toyota Hilux” who want to kill us.

We had no involvement in Tunisia, where the Arab Spring started. We haven't had pretty much anything to do with Libya for decades (other than Reagan bombing it in 1986). We have been involved in Egypt since Carter brokered the Peace Accord. We've had pretty much nothing to do with Syria since... forever. They're Russia's baby. The list goes on, and it's a mixed bag. We've had involvement in some countries and none at all in others. You certainly cannot blame all of the unrest over there on America. You certainly can't say we're blameless.

ARAB SPRING

arab_spring_640.png

. . . maybe krill needed to include the "insert sarcasm here" emoticon . . . I didn't think that anyone would actually take that seriously.

krill was quoting Aliens, a film which also mentions the great state of Nebraska.

-1 to everyone for not knowing that.

Game over man, game over! :lol:

We had no involvement in Tunisia, where the Arab Spring started.

Ben Ali was a strong ally and a thug, we armed him and rubber stamped his electoral landslides.

ARAB SPRING

arab_spring_640.png

Interesting... it seems that they are unaware of what is happening in Bahrain.

Or perhaps they have it dark blue and I just can't see it.

We had no involvement in Tunisia, where the Arab Spring started.

Ben Ali was a strong ally and a thug, we armed him and rubber stamped his electoral landslides.

OK, agreed. "No involvement" was a poor choice of words. My Brother-in-law is Tunisian and his family still lives there. They did that all on their own, and their former dictator was not an American puppet - at least, not as far as the locals were concerned. They have far stronger ties to France than America and always will. While America gave them support, it wasn't viewed there as "the Americans are helping repress us." Tunisia was the least-likely place for the Arab Spring to start - while the government was corrupt, they were less corrupt than most in that region, less dictatorial than most, and the people enjoyed far more freedoms.

OK, agreed. "No involvement" was a poor choice of words. My Brother-in-law is Tunisian and his family still lives there. They did that all on their own, and their former dictator was not an American puppet - at least, not as far as the locals were concerned. They have far stronger ties to France than America and always will. While America gave them support, it wasn't viewed there as "the Americans are helping repress us." Tunisia was the least-likely place for the Arab Spring to start - while the government was corrupt, they were less corrupt than most in that region, less dictatorial than most, and the people enjoyed far more freedoms.

Yes... France also led NATO in the regime change in Libya, and they are taking the European lead in NATO's rush to war in Syria.

Perhaps you have a better feel for this, my take is that NATO is very pleased with the new regime in Tunisia.

Egypt... not so much.

I thought Obama was going to get all of these people to like us.

Just like Bush's Iraq war was going to bring gas back down to $1 a gallon, right? :)

i think he is poking fun at the perceived notion that liberals thought obama was going to fix everything and make everything better everywhere. no liberals thought that, but i think it is fun for conservatives to think that they did.