Wisconsin

After hearing Gilbert's comments about Martinez, it doesn't seem that they respect his throwing ability at all, which is a big mistake on their part. I hope they don't because if they load up the box, and our OLine keeps them away from Taylor long enough then he will pick them apart. I guess it comes down to whether Wisconsin actually believes that he isn't an improved QB. If they do really believe that then they will decide to load the box, and I would expect Martinez to throw for 300+ yards in this game.

I just don't see how our Offense doesn't have a big game this weekend, and how we do it all depends on how Wisconsin decides to defend us. Load the box, we'll beat them through the air, stay in coverage, we'll beat them on the ground. We should all recognize that Wisconsin has nowhere near the athletes on defense that UCLA did.

Load the box:

Martinez -- 19/26 320 yards, 3 TDs

Bell -- 8 catches 150 yards, 2 TDs

Respect the pass/ Stay in Coverage:

Burkhead -- 20 carries 110 yards, 2 TDs

Abdullah -- 14 carries 90 yards, 1 TD

Or the big pass plays come BECAUSE they are stopping our run. If they are stopping the run by doing what we all know is going to take, by loading the box, then the play action can be used to loosin it back up. Yes, the run can set up big passing plays, but big pass plays can also set up the run. Now, if our run games is slowed/stopped by 4 down and 7 in coverage, we're pretty much screwed, but this should also NOT be the case.

Or the big pass plays come BECAUSE they are stopping our run. If they are stopping the run by doing what we all know is going to take, by loading the box, then the play action can be used to loosin it back up. Yes, the run can set up big passing plays, but big pass plays can also set up the run. Now, if our run games is slowed/stopped by 4 down and 7 in coverage, we're pretty much screwed, but this should also NOT be the case.

If they do load the box, then your assessment is reasonable.

If, however, they stop the run fairly well w/o having to stack the box... then that is when NU is in trouble. If they control the LOS w/o having to load numbers up to do so... things for both the running and the passing game become more difficult.

Do they have the ability to control the LOS against our OL w/o loading the box? Not sure. I hope not.

When someone above asserted that Wisconsin has nowhere near the athletes on defense that UCLA has... there again, I am not sure. UCLA may be slightly more athletic on D --- if you factor in only the notion of being faster. But they are smaller, less physical. But if they are overall better on D (which I am not certain of at all), then it will be close. The more I think of it, I'd actually surmise that Wisconsin is a step up defensively from UCLA. And, perhaps a better fit against what NU brings to the table.

This should be a tight game.

If they do load the box, then your assessment is reasonable.

If, however, they stop the run fairly well w/o having to stack the box... then that is when NU is in trouble. If they control the LOS w/o having to load numbers up to do so... things for both the running and the passing game become more difficult.

Do they have the ability to control the LOS against our OL w/o loading the box? Not sure. I hope not.

When someone above asserted that Wisconsin has nowhere near the athletes on defense that UCLA has... there again, I am not sure. UCLA may be slightly more athletic on D --- if you factor in only the notion of being faster. But they are smaller, less physical. But if they are overall better on D (which I am not certain of at all), then it will be close. The more I think of it, I'd actually surmise that Wisconsin is a step up defensively from UCLA. And, perhaps a better fit against what NU brings to the table.

This should be a tight game.

You said the exact same thing I did. Aint that kinda creepy?

After hearing Gilbert's comments about Martinez, it doesn't seem that they respect his throwing ability at all, which is a big mistake on their part. I hope they don't because if they load up the box, and our OLine keeps them away from Taylor long enough then he will pick them apart. I guess it comes down to whether Wisconsin actually believes that he isn't an improved QB. If they do really believe that then they will decide to load the box, and I would expect Martinez to throw for 300+ yards in this game.

I just don't see how our Offense doesn't have a big game this weekend, and how we do it all depends on how Wisconsin decides to defend us. Load the box, we'll beat them through the air, stay in coverage, we'll beat them on the ground. We should all recognize that Wisconsin has nowhere near the athletes on defense that UCLA did.

Load the box:

Load the box:

They will, I'd think, work to stop the run and make Taylor beat them in the passing game. Any other approach would be less reasonable. Against every team that can run the ball well... and NU does run the ball well --- you have to prep your D to stop the ground attack.

I'd have to think that they are thinking along these lines... "If NU runs the ball well.. we are in huge trouble (in terms of clock, setting up the pass, field position, etc.)... cannot let that happen --- if we stop the run w/o having to stack the box we are golden --- if we have to put 8 guys on the LOS to stop the run, then we must --- but stop the run at all costs --- make them beat us in the air... and hope for a few interceptions."

That is not a slam to Taylor --- simply look at it this way... if you are the Badgers you know that if you stop the run you have a shot at slowing the NU offense --- but if you do not, then it is certain that the NU offense rolls on you big.

They (Wisconsin) will have in view the classic --- run the ball --- stop the run.

Which is --- precisely --- what NU has in view as well.

Whoever does it better... wins.

After doing my best Sam Fisher impersonation, what I gather from Bucky fans, is that DE is a huge concern for them. All the guys that will play are banged up, and the guy talking all the trash (Gilbert) isn't very good. This seems ripe for some ZR abuse out of the pistol, or using the inverted veer with the pulling guards.