The last time I comment on Badger Fan

I had a good time in Madison. The locals did make me take two shots of whisky when we hit a diner for breakfast at 10:00 in the morning, and another guy by the stadium selling beer outside his house (a very reasonable one dollar per) said they'd be "hanging and smoking" at his house after the game and we were more than welcome to come by.

Oh yeah, and an old lady welcomed us the second we got there and to us she hoped we really enjoyed our experience in Madison, was thrilled to have us, and wished us good luck.

Buuut,,,,two extraordinarily drunk, obnoxious, and antagonizing Badger fans sat in the visitor section, and they were borderline insufferable.

• Fire 1

Again-and this comes from someone who's never taken a road trip- it's safe to assume that there are probably just as many positive experiences as negative ones, EXCEPT BOULDER. The difference is and the thing that builds perceptions is the severity of the bad ones. A negative experience at Norman would be some friendly heckling, ragging on us after a score and so on. But at Colorado it was piss baloons and snowballs and windows busted out of cars with Nebraska liscense plates (my parents escaped this one cuz they barrowed colorado plates from their friends, but 18 other Nebraska vehicles had windows missing the morning after the game). So I think it's gonna take a few years to get a good handle on what to expect at each venue.

I had a good time in Madison. The locals did make me take two shots of whisky when we hit a diner for breakfast at 10:00 in the morning, and another guy by the stadium selling beer outside his house (a very reasonable one dollar per) said they'd be "hanging and smoking" at his house after the game and we were more than welcome to come by.

Oh yeah, and an old lady welcomed us the second we got there and to us she hoped we really enjoyed our experience in Madison, was thrilled to have us, and wished us good luck.

Buuut,,,,two extraordinarily drunk, obnoxious, and antagonizing Badger fans sat in the visitor section, and they were borderline insufferable.

You're doing this wrong, I think. Usually people write off their good experiences and focus on their 10 cumulative seconds of interaction with idiots as their model for the entire UW fanbase.

I'm being sarcastic, of course, and appreciate that someone in a thread about Badger fans is above circle jerking. I've been to over 30 games at Camp Randall and, while I would agree with many that, on the whole, it's not an inviting atmosphere for visitors, I've never seen any violence and I've never seen anything more aggressive than the a-hole chant that students like to do. One entire side of the stadium faces a row of student houses and visitors definitely face an unusual experience in entering on that side.

The original post in this thread is a great example of confirmation bias:

"It didn't take long to have the "gentleman" in front of us standing up and waving his arms in our faces as Wisconsin scored."

To this person a fan cheering when his team scored was a.) a confirmation of a perception of an entire fan base and b.) an aggressive act. This tends to be how people perceive UW fans and I think it's very much based on preconceived notions, which I speculate come in part from sour OSU and Michigan fans canvassing the internet to warn people how awful all people in Wisconsin are. Two of my best friends went to Minnesota and returned to Madison for two games. Both times they were wearing bright yellow shirts (one of the games was a night game) and nothing more came of it than a few groups chanting at us.

Frankly, I don't believe most of the stories. I'd again concede that it's not an inviting atmosphere but I don't see how people find it to be hostile. I'm referring to Camp Randall so much because stories from visitors were where this recent reputation of the angry Badger fan stems from. Ultimately I'm inviting everybody to make their own minds up about the fan base because I find it sad that, in one year, it's gone from major excitement from both schools' supporters to a much murkier atmosphere.

Having been on several trips 'back in the day', I never really had an issue with any place that I went to. We went to Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State, and Oklahoma. I think the comments about the only place being really obnoxious was Colorado, and I don't even think that really started 'til the 'rivalry' heated up and they got 'good' toward the end of the 80's/early 90's. From that point on, it seemed like that wasn't the place to go. Understand, too, that I'm talking about the days of the Big 8 when I made those trips. Haven't really had much opportunity since I got married to make those types of trips. (Married fifteen years this past May.) But I do know that the stories about K-State got markedly worse after Snyder got there and they started to become 'good' in football, kind of the same as what happened in Colorado.

I just think, in the general scheme of things, that at most places you're going to have good and bad experiences, depending on the people you meet. However, the # of experiences that were bad out of Wisconsin seems to be about on the level of the number of bad experiences that were had in Colorado typically. I tend to agree with the concept of the fanbases really not 'getting it' in regards to respect and acting like you've been there if you haven't had sustained levels of success in the past. There's just something about being there over time that I think starts to mature a fanbase.

Having been on several trips 'back in the day', I never really had an issue with any place that I went to. We went to Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State, and Oklahoma. I think the comments about the only place being really obnoxious was Colorado, and I don't even think that really started 'til the 'rivalry' heated up and they got 'good' toward the end of the 80's/early 90's. From that point on, it seemed like that wasn't the place to go. Understand, too, that I'm talking about the days of the Big 8 when I made those trips. Haven't really had much opportunity since I got married to make those types of trips. (Married fifteen years this past May.) But I do know that the stories about K-State got markedly worse after Snyder got there and they started to become 'good' in football, kind of the same as what happened in Colorado.

I just think, in the general scheme of things, that at most places you're going to have good and bad experiences, depending on the people you meet. However, the # of experiences that were bad out of Wisconsin seems to be about on the level of the number of bad experiences that were had in Colorado typically. I tend to agree with the concept of the fanbases really not 'getting it' in regards to respect and acting like you've been there if you haven't had sustained levels of success in the past. There's just something about being there over time that I think starts to mature a fanbase.

Missouri in the 2000's was trying to compete with Colorado fans. I would put my Wisconsin experence right up there with both of them. Classless A$$ hats. I was really happy with both the OSU fans & the Mich St fans. I even shared my outside beverage bottle that I had brought in with a couple of really good Mich St fans (I usally don't share inside the game) They came back to our tale gate spot & had a few beers with us & even talked a little smack about this years game & how they get their revenge.

The fans that kill me the most are the Iowa fans. They would rather lose a whole season just to have NU lose a couple of games.

Missouri in the 2000's was trying to compete with Colorado fans. I would put my Wisconsin experence right up there with both of them. Classless A$$ hats. I was really happy with both the OSU fans & the Mich St fans. I even shared my outside beverage bottle that I had brought in with a couple of really good Mich St fans (I usally don't share inside the game) They came back to our tale gate spot & had a few beers with us & even talked a little smack about this years game & how they get their revenge.

The fans that kill me the most are the Iowa fans. They would rather lose a whole season just to have NU lose a couple of games.

I had heard from a few people that went to Mizzou for the games in the late 90's/00's that it was getting bad, almost as bad as K-State. Heard enough stories about K-State after Snyder got there that could've 'curled your hair' so to speak. Just stupid stuff that amazes me fan bases even think about doing. I think I was fortunate to go to those places when I did.

Glad to hear that OSU and MSU fans were pretty nice. Guess my impression has been that those two tend to be the ones that we'll tend to get along with better. At least one we'll see on a yearly basis.

I had heard from a few people that went to Mizzou for the games in the late 90's/00's that it was getting bad, almost as bad as K-State. Heard enough stories about K-State after Snyder got there that could've 'curled your hair' so to speak. Just stupid stuff that amazes me fan bases even think about doing. I think I was fortunate to go to those places when I did.

Glad to hear that OSU and MSU fans were pretty nice. Guess my impression has been that those two tend to be the ones that we'll tend to get along with better. At least one we'll see on a yearly basis.

When you come to East Lansing this year I'm pretty sure Husker fans will be treated well. If you can stay away from the student sections you should have a fine time. There is always good banter goin' on between the respective fan bases, but the only time things got a little rough was when I was stuck in Section 105 (Visitors (Iowa game)) and fights broke out. We were a little down this year after the ND game but there were no real issues with any of the fan bases, and ND had a wonderful evening at our expense !@#$%...

I'm also sure you're going to have fun at Ryan Field (very small and dated, but still nice) and from my friends who have attended NW they're really looking forward to the meeting...

• Fire 1

When you come to East Lansing this year I'm pretty sure Husker fans will be treated well. If you can stay away from the student sections you should have a fine time. There is always good banter goin' on between the respective fan bases, but the only time things got a little rough was when I was stuck in Section 105 (Visitors (Iowa game)) and fights broke out. We were a little down this year after the ND game but there were no real issues with any of the fan bases, and ND had a wonderful evening at our expense !@#$%...

I'm also sure you're going to have fun at Ryan Field (very small and dated, but still nice) and from my friends who have attended NW they're really looking forward to the meeting...

My wife & I are expecting a baby in early January, so My road game travels had to be canceled.

My wife & I are expecting a baby in early January, so My road game travels had to be canceled.

If the kid is due in January, you should still be able to make the road games. Hell, she will not even be showing her pregnancy much until November. Just sayin'...........

All these stories that I've started hearing since I was old enough to understand in the mid 90's of trips to Colorado, then Kansas St, then Missouri. Then I started to hear stories of piss-ons such as Iowa St, the trip to Iowa in 99. Now it's Wisconsin, and who knows what more is to come. My parents took 2 separate road trips to Colorado and wouldnt go back if they were paid to. I've never been to a road game and never will. I couldnt imagine what my temper would get me into if someone threw a "piss bomb" at me. It would be devastating to my personal record. I prefer to stay at home where I know I can remain peaceful surrounded by my homies.

You really should expand your horizons. I have been to most of the B1G stadiums and go to whichever bowl the Badgers are in each year, as well as numerous hockey venues. In my experience, if you have a good sense of humor, don't expect things to be "like they are at home," and honestly enjoy seeing how the other side lives, you will have a good time. Some places I like better than others, but to deny yourself the intellectual enjoyment of new experiences because of what "might happen" is looking at things incorrectly, IMO. New experiences make you grow.