Ohio State opens up 5 point favorite. Who ya got?

Who ya got?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I pray that we keep a "spy" on Miller, especially if we're blitzing, and hopefully it's someone with some speed. Scares the hell out of me locking up man on man, sending the farm and letting Miller get loose and run for days

If we have a player as a "spy" AND player(s) blitzing, Miller just needs to throw a ball in an open area or hand the ball off and that WR/HB will run for days.

I don't think we'll see a "spy" at all. We will see a defense coached certain assignments and hopefully the defense is in a position where Miller has nowhere to go throwing or running. There will be time Miller makes plays, the defense just can't let it happen routinely.

that "spy" can tackle players other than Miller, and do more than just watch Miller run around, you know that right? Like standing in that open area that Miller wants to throw it into (middle of the field where the spy likely will be set up) or tackling the WR/HB that he hands the ball off to. Since he'd spying Miller he's probably going to see that handoff and be in a pretty good position to stop it don't ya think?

a spy is not a worthless party out on the field. he's just not expected to cover the slant across the middle because his responsibility is different. I'd take 10 completions on that slant for 8-10 yards each with a frazzled Braxton in the pocket over what most teams have been doing with him. He screws up when he has pressure on him, when he can't do it on his own, when he's not running the ball well. He starts to panick and throws interceptions. One interception on our side of the field almost negates every one of those 100 yards. Those 100 yards in completions are nothing in compared to what a spy can do to their offense w/ Braxton in there. We've seen it done to us numerous time, and we've lost terribly.

So you agree, you don't want a "spy", you want assignment football.

A "spy" by definition, is when a defense delegates one person to be responsible for the "spied" player. To be his/her shadow. Assignement football is when the responsiblitly of the "ball carrier" is changed throughout the defense.

I understand that Mitchell may start as a "spy" when faced with a weak formation, and that "spy" might change to Whaley has a HB releases to the outside. Then Evans takes on the "spy" as his responsiblitly as his TE cuts over top of Compton, releasing him to Whaley.

That isn't "SPY" football, it is ASSIGNMENT football.

• Fire 1

This game scares the crap out of me but there are a few thoughts that keep creeping into my head.

Our big issues: We put the ball on the ground a lot and struggle with mobile QBs. Night game in a legit hostile environment. They are still slightly miffed about last year.

Their big issues: Starting tailback is out. #2 tailback is dinged up and may not play. Miller is already having to leave games after taking a lot of punishment early in the year and may not be 100%. New offense with young QB and the receivers(inexperienced) have not helped him much. Defense tackles like we did at UCLA. Youth at LB has been outweighing athleticism.

I think Bo has shown this year that he will put DBs on an island until you can beat them through the air. Ohio has not shown they can do that. I expect them to run a playbook similar to what we saw from UCLA. Whaley and Fischer sit most of the game while Nebraska loads the box. Nebraska tackles well in space and Huskers win 31-21 with giving up a short field to the defense only once.

This. I saw a LOT of McBride'esq defense against Wisconsin. Put a man on a man, and send the rest. Bottle'em up and hit the qb, over and over. I hope we see more of it, because I always liked that philosphy.

I have this feeling and I've been hearing rumblings that NEB will be blitzing more against Ohio St to try and rattle ole Braxton Miller. I hope so. I am not a huge fan of trying to contain him and making him throw...this gives him all day and then when a lane opens up, he takes off. Blitz him and blitz him more, make him throw the ball under pressure and keep hitting him. Get this guy rattled.

I wouldn't be suprised if OSU uses the same strategy against us to stop Taylor. Unfortunately, I think it will be more effective against us.

Miller is so flippin ellusive. BTN was showing MSU's Gholston trying to stop him. Gholston is a good player but as long as he was locked up with an offensive lineman Braxton could easily run around him. I think they showed Braxton going inside and outside of him. It's almost like you have to tackle him before he gets started. He's going to be a real problem for us. The good thing is that all of the juking and such makes him prone to injury like the hyper-extended knee. I was watching the MSU game to get an idea of how to stop him. Looked like the injury was about the only thing that did.

I pray that we keep a "spy" on Miller, especially if we're blitzing, and hopefully it's someone with some speed. Scares the hell out of me locking up man on man, sending the farm and letting Miller get loose and run for days

If we have a player as a "spy" AND player(s) blitzing, Miller just needs to throw a ball in an open area or hand the ball off and that WR/HB will run for days.

I don't think we'll see a "spy" at all. We will see a defense coached certain assignments and hopefully the defense is in a position where Miller has nowhere to go throwing or running. There will be time Miller makes plays, the defense just can't let it happen routinely.

that "spy" can tackle players other than Miller, and do more than just watch Miller run around, you know that right? Like standing in that open area that Miller wants to throw it into (middle of the field where the spy likely will be set up) or tackling the WR/HB that he hands the ball off to. Since he'd spying Miller he's probably going to see that handoff and be in a pretty good position to stop it don't ya think?

a spy is not a worthless party out on the field. he's just not expected to cover the slant across the middle because his responsibility is different. I'd take 10 completions on that slant for 8-10 yards each with a frazzled Braxton in the pocket over what most teams have been doing with him. He screws up when he has pressure on him, when he can't do it on his own, when he's not running the ball well. He starts to panick and throws interceptions. One interception on our side of the field almost negates every one of those 100 yards. Those 100 yards in completions are nothing in compared to what a spy can do to their offense w/ Braxton in there. We've seen it done to us numerous time, and we've lost terribly.

If I close my eyes and someone reads this post to me, I'd swear this was about Dennard Robinson!

If Taylor skips rocks, Dennard and Braxton heave logs. Before the season I had them all pretty even. I still think Braxton will peak higher than Taylor in his career...but at this point in the season Taylor has Braxton by a head, and Dennard by a mile.

Yep. Sounds about right to me.

I also think Bo will fully unleash Caveman & Steiny for this one. For me, I'll taking a heat-seeking SuperD missile over a "spy" any day of the week and we'll see someone step up. Braxton is essentially the only proven real threat they have so go for it Bo!!

I dont see Ohio State being as good as a lot of you think they are. We stop Miller we win, we bang him up we win hell if we dont turn the ball over we win. Our offense is better then theirs and our Ds are about the same

I hear ya. I too don't get (at all) why most think the Buckeyes are unbeatable.

I think there's no way they can stop our offense and Miller is really the only proven threat they have. We'll win the game.

This thread makes me sick.

After reading the crap you all are spewing, the Huskers might as well just give up. This is football...anything can happen. Braxton can come out and have an off day. Playcalling on their side can suck it up. Bo can scheme things just right and take their entire offense out of the game.

No one can know. The bottom line is, that the Huskers are every bit as deep on defense with a more talented secondary...and they are much deeper and more talented on offense than tOSU. tOSU hasn't played anyone...and don't give me MSU...their offense is atrocious...the fact that MSU could even make it close stupefied me.

The bottom line here people is that the Huskers have every bit of a dog in this fight that tOSU has...all with a bigger dog too. Pretty pathetic that no one here has any faith whatsoever in our team.

lol, stop crying. If people are picking against NU it is because we have shown we don't play well in games like this (coaches usually get out coached). Start winning and those change to predictions of a win.

My prediction

I don't think we win