Huskers v Sooners coming soon?

Travis Haney from ESPN tweeted last night that there may be a renewed football series between the Huskers and Sooners.

The words told to him were "It's not soup yet, but I like the ingredients".

I missed this game since the destruction of the Big8. Hope it happens soon and often. I know they were looking at doing something in a few years to mark the 50 year anniversary of the Game of the Century, but if we can get something going quicker and more often, this would be great.

TO has been on top of this since 2010. He said they agreed on 2020 & 2021 in honor of 50th anniversary Game of the Century. He had to put it on hold for the sake of B1G scheduling arrangements since they're still debating whether to go to 9 conference games in the near future or stay at 8. Until that gets sorted out, the NU/OU series will likely get the green light.

My ideal scenario would be a continued non-conference opponent like this every year. Even if the B1G goes to a 9 game conference schedule, it would be nice to have that 1 non-con to look forward to every year. Look at the draw that ND v Michigan, U$C, Stanford gets every year.

Plus with the new 4 team playoff and the emphasis of strenght of schedule, this would only serve to help our chances.

• Fire 1

Why would you want to pin that one good non conference game down to one team every year? I love it that we play different teams from around the country. We have played some fun series and have more coming up that are not possible if we tie ourselves to one opponent every year.

Nothing beats a rivalry game. I vote that we make Oklahoma our season opener every single year. That would be amazing!

Look, I used to crave the OU game even more than that left over turkey I ate before and during the game. I can be called an old timer. When I was in school, nothing beat OU week in Lincoln.

But, it's not a rivalry anymore. Anyone who thinks it is is hanging on the past. They are not our rivals.

Also, OU chickened out on us when the Big 12 was formed. They had the opportunity to play us every year and ran away from us.

• Fire 2

Didn't we try to keep the "Red Rivalry" going and play OU as a non conference game when we were moving to the B1G? I believe TO and Bo offered something like that, but Stoops said they weren't interested. I personally don't see OU committing to anything like this, as it could ruin a National Title shot with a loss. From a traditional side, it would be awesome, but not going to happen in my opinion.

• Fire 1

Look, I used to crave the OU game even more than that left over turkey I ate before and during the game. I can be called an old timer. When I was in school, nothing beat OU week in Lincoln.

But, it's not a rivalry anymore. Anyone who thinks it is is hanging on the past. They are not our rivals.

Also, OU chickened out on us when the Big 12 was formed. They had the opportunity to play us every year and ran away from us.

It was never the rivalry to them that it was to us, Texas was their real rival, I would hardly call it chickening out. We had a special game 40 years ago..... then Switzer proceeded to own Osborne.(12-5) and basically we became the CU Buffs in that we cherished the " Rivalry " more than they did.