2012 Presidential Debates

knapplc, carl, sd.. who do you guys support?

I'll be casting a vote for Obama in a few weeks. I didn't vote for him last time.

I've seen a lot of things from his presidency that I don't support . . . that I think are wrong for America. I've also seen slow (too slow!) improvement in our economy and 24 straight months of added jobs. I've seen a healthcare bill that is full of compromises but is far better than doing nothing. I've seen the decimation of the leadership of the group responsible for the worst terroristic attack in our country's history. I've seen the end of an extremely ill-advised war in Iraq. I've seen a relentlessly moderate administration that approaches controversial issues with caution . . . but ultimately reaches the correct decision in things like marriage equality and ending DADT. I've also seen extensions of legislation that truly threatens the freedom of Americans . . . like the Patriot Act. I've seen attacks ordered on US citizens in foreign countries.

(Edit: I should add that much of this happened during the most obstructionist Congress in modern history.)

In short . . . I'll vote for him . . . but it's not because I think that he's great. It's because he's better than the alternatives that I've seen. I simply cannot bring myself to vote for a man like Romney who will do or say anything (even if it's the complete opposite of something that he said earlier) to attain power. I can't and I won't.

• Fire 2

He wants it to be a state decision. He's alright with Romneycare because it's at the state level but not Obamacare (despite it being damn near identical) because it's at the federal level.

But the states weren't doing anything (with a very few exceptions, Romneycare being the most prominent).

I agree, I'm just restating what his position is as of two nights ago which will likely change. I'm of the opinion that we should be working towards single payer like the rest of the industrialized world.

One of the silliest snide implications Romney made all night was the ludicrous suggestion that Obama is at fault for rising gas prices.

In a way he is, oil is tied to our economy... like it or not.

EDIT: of course any pres would be as well.

Really, please elaborate on this point. My understanding is that foreign oil prices are extremely off our hands, which is one of the big reasons some people want to push for independence from foriegn oil.

Great post summing up your stance above, carl.

Really, please elaborate on this point. My understanding is that foreign oil prices are extremely off our hands, which is one of the big reasons some people want to push for independence from foriegn oil.

Right now things such as:

Sanctions on Iran (They lost much of their oil exports because of this and the value of their dollar, rial, has plunged=rise in oil prices)

Washington's lack of involvement in possible Israeli attack on Iran (Same premise...would disrupt oil flowing thru the Straight of Hormuze)

Unrest in the Middle East (Self explanatory)

Uncertainty in the European Union's economy (Oil is tied to economy as has been proven worldwide)

China possibly hitting an economic growth bubble (Large importer of world oil supply)

I guess speculation? Seems every major country has a hand in the price of current oil prices. From government policy to major world banks. If you look at many of the above scenarios, Washington has/is/will have a hand in them, which will affect the price of oil in which ever decision they make on the situation.

American Jobs Act. (Romney has nothing comparable.)

An actual budget. (Romney has nothing comparable.)

Obamacare/ACA (Romney said he will repeal and replace . . . but refuses to explain what it will be replaced with.)

OK...if liberals want to keep going down this path of...."Romney doesn't have any legislation ready for his ideas"....bla bla bla......you are just going to look silly.

Romney doesn't have a budget and this you are surprised at and alarmed???

http://budget.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=276880

From this, it appears that it is fairly common that a president doesn't meat the first dead line in February for his first budget. In fact, Obama mist his by almost 100 days.

now...what is laughable is that Obama has also missed his last TWO dead lines. That hasn't happened until you go back to Reagan.

So.....you sit here and harp on Romney that he doesn't have a specific budget all laid out and YOUR sitting President can't get it done by the time he is LEGALLY obligated to do so.

In 2008 when Obama was running he had absolutely nothing to show for legislation but he sure kept saying those wonderful words of..."Hope and Change" and everyone fell on their knees in tears at the profound words coming out of his mouth.

Refinery shutdowns also contribute greatly to the price of gasoline, and that is one the the administration has no control over. Just look at southern California right now, or gas prices when hurricane Isaac or any gulf hurricane is looming.

In 2008 when Obama was running he had absolutely nothing to show for legislation but he sure kept saying those wonderful words of..."Hope and Change" and everyone fell on their knees in tears at the profound words coming out of his mouth.

yeah, that is how it happened.

So.....you sit here and harp on Romney that he doesn't have a specific budget all laid out and YOUR sitting President can't get it done by the time he is LEGALLY obligated to do so.

First of all he's OUR sitting President whether you like it or not. And secondly there are quite a few people on here, myself included, that have stated we did not vote for him the first time around and are only voting for him this time because we cringe at the alternative.

• Fire 3

Romney doesn't have a budget and this you are surprised at and alarmed???

Actually, I'm neither surprised nor alarmed. I was merely pointing out that we know what Obama proposes. We don't know what Romney will do . . . and if history is any guide even if we knew his proposals he'd probably oppose them soon after. :P

Why the focus on the budget? Oh . . . right. I know why.

Where is Romney's tax plan? Won't show us. Promises that it'll work out even though math says otherwise.

Where is Romney's health care plan? Won't show us. Has about 400 words devoted to it on his website.

Where is Romney's Wall Street reform? Promises to repeal Dodd-Frank . . . but not get rid of regulations. Which regulations will he keep? Won't show us.

Romney should trust the American people. His actions indicate that he doesn't . . .

First of all he's OUR sitting President whether you like it or not. And secondly there are quite a few people on here, myself included, that have stated we did not vote for him the first time around and are only voting for him this time because we cringe at the alternative.

That's basically it . . . he hasn't been great . . . but there is no doubt in my mind that he's better for America than Mitt Romney and the current GOP.

• Fire 2