2012 Presidential Debates

So after carefully analyzing your admittedly anecdotal evidence you reach the exact figure of 47%?

Heh.

(Along with more excusing of lying.)

No. I have no evidence that it is "exactly" 47%. However, I do believe the figure to be pushing about half of our population so 47% is as good of a number as any to use for something that is incapable of being determined precisely. When it exceeds 50%, I have the feeling you'll begin to sense it a lot better. Thanks for once again departing from the nature of the discussion and attempting to obfuscate the issue with unimportant exacting details. You da king.

I don't believe for a second that Romney cares about anyone but his own. My take on him is he cares about making himself richer. He cares about businesses and their owners, not people. And there is a difference. I do not believe you can care about people when you can't understand them.

Just because there are people that you do not understand and therefore do not care about, don't assume that is how all people are.

I don't believe for a second that Romney cares about anyone but his own. My take on him is he cares about making himself richer. He cares about businesses and their owners, not people. And there is a difference. I do not believe you can care about people when you can't understand them.

Did you watch the conventions?

(outside of wives who will generally universally support their husbands publicly).......Romney had numerous elderly folks WHO KNEW HIM GROWING UP and gave him glowing marks for his charitable and volunteer work with every segment of society. Not relatives, not wealthy cohorts, simply blue collar citizens who validated his values. In contrast, Obama had ZERO testimonials from his non-transparent past. The ONLY people who vouched for Obama were other career politicians with like-minded government-centric views.....i.e. Hillary and Biden.

Given our distance from both candidates, I'd always value first person accounts from citizens over politicians.

I understand you don't like Romney or his policies, but to state categorically that Romney doesn't care about anything but making himself richer is a quantum leap and really, a pretty sophomoric statement.

• Fire 1

Have to agree with comish here. That's a sentiment based in caricature, not reality.

A lot of class angst against the very wealthy in general, that's common and widespread, but Mitt shouldn't apologize for being wealthy or successful.

The question is whether his systems really do benefit the most Americans. If his philosophy towards the purpose of the federal government indeed tend to classical liberalism, then he doesn't believe it's the federal government's place to use its resources to prop up the people who aren't doing well - because that leaves no incentive for them to find work, move up the ladder. Granted, since FDR we have had the idea of a basic safety net for those people. Which has since ballooned. And I do not agree that the very poor should pay taxes out of principle. That's silly and it doesn't really contribute to revenue.

But yeah, in general, I do believe the federal government should be there to create a system that allows people to help themselves - rather one that throws too much of its publicly-garnered resources towards propping people up. To use an analogy, it should teach people to fish, but it shouldn't buy people a fish from the market every day.

Why is it that people feel they need to vote for the "lesser" of two evils? Why not vote for the candidate you would most like to represent our nation. A vote for a 3rd party is not a wasted vote ... It moves the needle.

Oh wait, we have been told its a wasted vote by Fox, CNN, etc. because we want to stick to this two (really one party - as they are more similar than people tend to believe) system.

PS - For whoever said people are idiots for thinking Romney won, I'd counter by saying they both lost then. Obama looked amateur compared to Romney, while they both spoke over each and repeatedly danced around questions while the moderator did jacksh1t about it.

Why people think they should "like" or "dislike" either canidate is beyond me. Anyone running for President is just a figure head of their respective party and are the tip of the iceberg for all the people that will inhabit the whitehouse upon election. Vote for government intervention or state control, whatever you think the country needs right now. Buy a car from a guy you like, have a beer with a guy you like, but don't fall for a swarmy personality. Either candidate is but a puppet.