Sipple: New AD might encounter rugged terrain

Nexus

I don't get any of this. We hired this guy very quickly. He has 17 months experience and by most accounts, the people at Miami don't think he was very good. Apparently Alvarez loves him, which might make sense if TO (friends with Alvarez) was involved in the hire. But he wasn't. So Perlman had to have a reason to make the hire so quickly. That's a mystery. Maybe he'll turn out to be a great hire, but I don't see anything impressive about his resume that would cause Perlman to end the search so quickly to take him.

Someone please explain.

You're human. No need to edit yourself. We've all jumped the gun before. ;)

Thanks Nexus. Always a kind word from you my friend :)

And if science ever needs living proof that humans are infinitely flawed creatures, you know where to send them. You should get some commish outta that deal, too. Finder's fee, or something. :lol:

Whoa.......whoa.............what are we dealing here...??

• Fire 1

I don't get any of this. We hired this guy very quickly. He has 17 months experience and by most accounts, the people at Miami don't think he was very good. Apparently Alvarez loves him, which might make sense if TO (friends with Alvarez) was involved in the hire. But he wasn't. So Perlman had to have a reason to make the hire so quickly. That's a mystery. Maybe he'll turn out to be a great hire, but I don't see anything impressive about his resume that would cause Perlman to end the search so quickly to take him.

Someone please explain.

I voiced the same concerns in a thread yesterday and was reminded that there are a couple of other prestigious openings out currently (Bama for one)..........so maybe that plays into the hurried timing.

I assume that the story about Pelini being angry that he didn't get to put in his two cents is untrue. Eichorst is going to be his boss, why would Pelini have any involvement in the hiring of his boss?

Furthermore, I'm curious as to why anyone thinks that Pelini should have a say in any of this to begin with? What has Pelini done during his time here that would warrant that kind of involvement?

I assume that the story about Pelini being angry that he didn't get to put in his two cents is untrue. Eichorst is going to be his boss, why would Pelini have any involvement in the hiring of his boss?

Furthermore, I'm curious as to why anyone thinks that Pelini should have a say in any of this to begin with? What has Pelini done during his time here that would warrant that kind of involvement?

WTF........?!?!?!?!?

Seems like there might be some ugly politics involved. I'm so tired of this. I get that there is big money (and big egos) involved, but I just want to enjoy watching a football team that can block and tackle. (If they move around well and are excellent in all areas, all the better!) All the infighting (among fans and staff) since 2003 just sucks. I blame the internet.

Someone please explain.

That and I think this hiring process was going on long before TO announced his retirement. It's a quick turn around if you think about it as starting from since TO announced his retirement. But when you consider that this was going on months before, the decision doesn't seem too quick.

Being a head coach.

Seems like there might be some ugly politics involved. I'm so tired of this. I get that there is big money (and big egos) involved, but I just want to enjoy watching a football team that can block and tackle. (If they move around well and are excellent in all areas, all the better!) All the infighting (among fans and staff) since 2003 just sucks. I blame the internet.

I think you can expect any major hiring to cause some hurt feelings, or disappointment, from some of the affected or close parties.

The reason this is an issue now is because Sipple, among others perhaps, are choosing to air it out and milk it for the publicity it's worth. But there is no way you ever make a hire or conduct a search in a way that is satisfactory to everybody.

I believe firmly that the Chancellor alone should have made the call here. It's his AD, and for better or for worse, his hire. The idea that the football coach would have a say is sort of silly. Especially from a chain-of-command standpoint, this makes sense.

Okay, guys. Are we really taking the word of a few 'insiders' down in Miami about what they did and didn't like? I don't know who 1620 had on yesterday (though the wording I saw spread around here sounded remarkably like the same wording from a thread on one of the insider websites I read yesterday - http://www.caneinsider.com/football-talk/44539-breaking-shawn-eichorst-resigns-more-information-here.html - and that thread is on the free part of the site, so shouldn't cause any problems) - but certainly there are enough people that have worked with the guy that have come out publicly in support of the job he's done to make me think it's going to be a real tough job to do a snowjob on this. Take a look at the various articles that both the OWH and the LJS have put up regarding others' opinions of the hire. Sorry, but a few 'insiders' opinions down in Miami mean little to me compared to these other opinions we have out there.

Again, give the guy a chance before we lynch him for not being (insert your favorite candidate here). From all the talk of humbleness, going about his job with the right attitude and having the ability to lead that I've read about out there, I think he'll fit in just fine. Am I or is anyone totally happy about the way things have been handled? Probably not. But at the same time, I think a few comments have been blown WAY out of proportion, by many fans and a few members of the media. Like others, I'm a BIG fan of Sip's most of the time, but that article was out of line with how far it went. Borderline unprofessional, imo.

We'll see what happens over the weekend, and at next week's press conference. But right now, I'm pretty stoked about who we got, and who it seems that we have that will be running the ship for the next few/several years. Good hire from everything I've seen at this point, even if I'm not entirely satisfied with how things were handled.

• Fire 1