My takeaways: Offense, Defense

zoogs

Offense

I think we saw some limitations in our offense, again. We have a good set of playmakers on offense. I think it is fair to question if we are able to use them effectively. I think Beck has a lot of great ideas going on...but it seems to struggle to come together.

I think a lot of that comes to Taylor being adequate, but not too much more than that, even with his strides in the passing game.

I think we make such an effort of keeping Taylor in good situations with safe, short throws that we aren't as effective as we could be. When we really need to use those throws, in pass-only situations, they are easily negated. I wonder if we'd be more effective leaning on the run a hell of a lot more, and then throwing it deep when we do throw.

Although that probably doesn't work tonight anyway. Ohio State's run defense was stout and put big clamps on our run game (the few big runs aside). We had a few nice rollout throws or throws in the flats but couldn't establish it as a consistent weapon.

I do sort of feel like the offense would benefit if it focused on fewer things, given the obvious limitations of what we can do really well. But against the Ohio State defense, I'm not sure a good day was likely, period. They are a strong, strong group.

Defense

This really just came down to one thing: putting the brakes on Miller. We did it to start the game but couldn't bottle him up for the duration. That's frustrating. He really tore through us, given the opportunity. Our defense lost the battle there.

But I can't accept knee-jerk condemnations of the D. Miller is just that damn good. Miller embodies the perfect QB to run what I was suggesting our offense do above, and it's what OSU does: run a huge amount of the time, and then go for the jugular when throwing.

Miller is an extremely dynamic runner, the kind that can carry the rushing burden for a team because he consistently picks his way through traffic for yards when he isn't breaking loose. He's also running a smooth operation back there, audibling capably and getting our D to tip their hands at times pre-snap. Is that in Taylor's arsenal? (Honest question, it may be...)

It was really frustrating to watch the defense wear down mentally by the end of the game. I don't think that should be considered acceptable. On the other hand, it was garbage time, I guess.

Overall

Tough night, obviously. We came out swinging with a good plan, but Braxton took over the game. I don't think many people expected us to upset the Buckeyes and I think we all knew what a challenge it would be. We hung with them for a while and it got away from us in the end. Lotta picks from Taylor, really rough night for him.

Still think Bo's putting together a pretty solid team, both sides of the football, with a lot of potential, and most importantly, with a unity and a sense of coming together and building to something.

This wasn't their best day but they'll take it in stride. A lot of conference play to come and a long season ahead of us. GBR! ;)

• Fire 1

But I can't accept knee-jerk condemnations of the D. Miller is just that damn good. Miller embodies the perfect QB to run what I was suggesting our offense do above, and it's what OSU does: run a huge amount of the time, and then go for the jugular when throwing.

That he is. He's so good that that those powerhouses Central Florida and UAB could only limit him to 31 and 29 points, respectively! Someday NU will have a defense of that caliber.

Offense -

• We will always be unpredictable with Martinez as QB. He has games where he plays lights out and he has games where he is a liability. At the beginning of the year I thought the liability games were behind him. He can't consistently distribute the ball and this will be a battle for the next year and a half. So many want to call out Beck's play calling. The key to stopping Taylor hasn't changed in 2.5 years. I like Taylor's heart, but his inability to make the play when it needs to be done doesn't allow the team to loosen up the defense.
  • I love Rex to death but Ameer needs to be on the field.
  • I have no idea how many touches Turner had, but I know it wasn't enough.
  • I know the defense got gashed a few times, but the turnovers are what lost the game. Not only did they put points on the board, they killed the field position which was going very well in the beginning (except T-Mart's TD pass to OSU).
  • I think we are one player away on offense.

Defense

• I still have no idea what we are trying to do.
  • It appears to me that when we blitz we can atleast get the QB to move around. I thought we kind of got away from that and I don't really understand why.
  • I think the secondary is solid, but the we don't control the line of scrimmage and we are slow at LB.
  • Did I say that I have no idea what the defense is trying to do?

Special Teams

• What the hell is wrong with our kick off return team? Countless times this year first contact is happening at the 10 yard line?? It seems to be a recurring theme. I don't see it happening to anyone else.
  • Ameer likes to fair catch when there is no one in the same zip code. I will take that over a fumble anyday, but the dude is electric on punt return.

That he is. He's so good that that those powerhouses Central Florida and UAB could only limit him to 31 and 29 points, respectively! Someday NU will have a defense of that caliber.

Let's not forget the stout defense that is Cal, they held tOSU to 170yds rushing.

Offense

I think we saw some limitations in our offense, again. We have a good set of playmakers on offense. I think it is fair to question if we are able to use them effectively. I think Beck has a lot of great ideas going on...but it seems to struggle to come together.

Did you think we used all of our play makers? I liked the variety (Rex taking the snap from center.)

I think a lot of that comes to Taylor being adequate, but not too much more than that, even with his strides in the passing game

Poor Taylor! He did some really nice things last night but he still has a tendency to panic when he's rushed. Do you think that comes with maturity? Do you think Bo should've put in the other quarterback for a little while after Taylor makes those interceptions just so Taylor can take a breather and get his head together?

I think we make such an effort of keeping Taylor in good situations with safe, short throws that we aren't as effective as we could be. When we really need to use those throws, in pass-only situations, they are easily negated. I wonder if we'd be more effective leaning on the run a hell of a lot more, and then throwing it deep when we do throw.

Although that probably doesn't work tonight anyway. Ohio State's run defense was stout and put big clamps on our run game (the few big runs aside). We had a few nice rollout throws or throws in the flats but couldn't establish it as a consistent weapon.

I do sort of feel like the offense would benefit if it focused on fewer things, given the obvious limitations of what we can do really well. But against the Ohio State defense, I'm not sure a good day was likely, period. They are a strong, strong group.

Defense

This really just came down to one thing: putting the brakes on Miller. We did it to start the game but couldn't bottle him up for the duration. That's frustrating. He really tore through us, given the opportunity. Our defense lost the battle there

Do you think we couldn't 'bottle him up for the duration' because we changed our defensive scheme?

Miller is an extremely dynamic runner, the kind that can carry the rushing burden for a team because he consistently picks his way through traffic for yards when he isn't breaking loose. He's also running a smooth operation back there, audibling capably and getting our D to tip their hands at times pre-snap. Is that in Taylor's arsenal? (Honest question, it may be...)

It was really frustrating to watch the defense wear down mentally by the end of the game. I don't think that should be considered acceptable. On the other hand, it was garbage time, I guess

Why didn't we put in other players on defense when we started making mistakes? Could a fresh pair of legs have helped? I guess I just don't think we use our non-starters very effectively. Even if they just went in to give the starters a breather, it would be a good thing.

Overall

Tough night, obviously. We came out swinging with a good plan, but Braxton took over the game. I don't think many people expected us to upset the Buckeyes and I think we all knew what a challenge it would be. We hung with them for a while and it got away from us in the end. Lotta picks from Taylor, really rough night for him.

Still think Bo's putting together a pretty solid team, both sides of the football, with a lot of potential, and most importantly, with a unity and a sense of coming together and building to something.

This is why it's upsetting to read the 'fire Bo' comments after a tough game like this one. This is only the second year in our new division and our boys are starting to come together. To fire Bo now would be such a mistake.

This wasn't their best day but they'll take it in stride. A lot of conference play to come and a long season ahead of us. GBR! ;)

Zoogie, I love your posts. They are thoughtful and though provoking-thanks! I'm putting my responses above in red.

Offense -

• We will always be unpredictable with Martinez as QB. He has games where he plays lights out and he has games where he is a liability. At the beginning of the year I thought the liability games were behind him. He can't consistently distribute the ball and this will be a battle for the next year and a half. So many want to call out Beck's play calling. The key to stopping Taylor hasn't changed in 2.5 years. I like Taylor's heart, but his inability to make the play when it needs to be done doesn't allow the team to loosen up the defense.
  • I love Rex to death but Ameer needs to be on the field.
  • I have no idea how many touches Turner had, but I know it wasn't enough.
  • I know the defense got gashed a few times, but the turnovers are what lost the game. Not only did they put points on the board, they killed the field position which was going very well in the beginning (except T-Mart's TD pass to OSU).
  • I think we are one player away on offense.

Defense

• I still have no idea what we are trying to do.
  • It appears to me that when we blitz we can atleast get the QB to move around. I thought we kind of got away from that and I don't really understand why.
  • I think the secondary is solid, but the we don't control the line of scrimmage and we are slow at LB.
  • Did I say that I have no idea what the defense is trying to do?

Special Teams

• What the hell is wrong with our kick off return team? Countless times this year first contact is happening at the 10 yard line?? It seems to be a recurring theme. I don't see it happening to anyone else.
  • Ameer likes to fair catch when there is no one in the same zip code. I will take that over a fumble anyday, but the dude is electric on punt return.

Our offensive tackles got schooled last night! How many whiffs did ABC replay?? Qvale just completely crapped his pants last night. Between going matador on the D-ends, he also had too many penalties.

I am starting to think we make things way too complicated on D-fense. We look lost out there and everyone is trying to talk to each other. It looks like there is no leadership out there.

POSITIVES ON OFFENSE:

Braylon Heard looked pretty darn good. He needs more touches.

We need to execute more plays for Turner. He did look electric the few times he touched the ball.

POSITIVES ON DEFENSE:

E-mart played with passion and had a good game overall. Would love to see more of him and Ankrah on the field at the same time and bench Camstache.

SJB is really coming along. Nothing spectacular, but he really looks like a DB now. Should warrant more playing time for him.

Nice postings! In my view, it comes down to horses. It took Dr. T a number of years to "get the picture" and recruit the horses he needed. I remember thinking his first year that he turned a national championship team into a good football team. Bo didn't start with a champion in any way.

28 Ohio State points came off of Nebraska turnovers. Our defense had good chance to jump on two Ohio State fumbles, and Baptiste dropped what should have been an easy INT.

To me, that's the difference in the game. Turnovers. I thought it was the difference in the UCLA game, and I thought it was the reason Wisconsin could even make it a close game. There are other problems sure, but they wouldn't matter nearly as much if we weren't so prone to turning the ball over, and so inept at creating turnovers on defense.

28 Ohio State points came off of Nebraska turnovers. Our defense had good chance to jump on two Ohio State fumbles, and Baptiste dropped what should have been an easy INT.

To me, that's the difference in the game. Turnovers. I thought it was the difference in the UCLA game, and I thought it was the reason Wisconsin could even make it a close game. There are other problems sure, but they wouldn't matter nearly as much if we weren't so prone to turning the ball over, and so inept at creating turnovers on defense.

It's hard to intercept passes when we don't turn to make a play on the ball.

Another thing to remember about this game is that tOSU has one of the best D-lines in the country. Not the best, but right around top 5. I think everyone here knows that D-line play affects every aspect of our offense--running game, passing attack and turnovers. We did pretty well against the Buckeye D-line for about two quarters of football. Not so much in the second half.

• Fire 1

Nice postings! In my view, it comes down to horses.

I agree with that! Recruiting concerns have been highlighted for years since Bo came on board, and now they're coming up to roost. That's been on Bo. However, I like Bo. I like the way he's run the program. I like (mostly. OK, somewhat) the way he's assembled the current staff. I am not going to hold his feet to the fire for past recruiting mistakes, especially when he's already improved in leaps and bounds, very recently.

It's just imperative for Bo to continue his shift in prioritizing recruiting as a 12-month, year-round event. Bo's a fantastic coach, that should never be in question. However, his management and program direction skills are going to be put to the test.

lady, I don't think we should have pulled Taylor. A QB has to keep his wits about him when he makes mistakes. Pulling him doesn't help with that. I don't think it's a matter of scheme on defense. We just got Braxton'd :lol: Sometimes, it's just 'what can you do.' NUance is right, too. OSU's defense was terrific. They just outmatched our offense.

Let's not forget the stout defense that is Cal, they held tOSU to 170yds rushing.

Meh, I think comparing individual stats across different games is pointless. It's sort of like "Team A beat Team B, and Team B beat Team C, so..."

We gave up 498 yards to the Buckeyes. Cal 412. They didn't run as much, and Braxton put up pretty substantial yardage, and 4 passing TDs, in the OSU victory. OSU's been coming together over the first few weeks of the Urban Meyer regime, and anyway, I don't think Cal really "held" OSU to much of anything.