"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

But seriously though...things aren't that bad.

It's really all about next season and our slack conference schedule.

And ponies. It's also about ponies.

it's not that things aren't that bad...that's not what were mad/frustrated about...we can still have a "good" year by definition, and finish with 8 or 9 wins...it's the fact that we cannot get over the hump of losing to a team we shouldn't and getting whipped on the road against a similar ranked team. It is so disheartening to the fans when we get so amped up for the season because husker football is all we have, and we have extremely high expectations, but there needs to be light at the end of the tunnel, and that doesn't necessarily mean natty champ, it just means progress and getting better, which has not happened in the past 5 years. I like Bo and he needs time, but it's scary because if this trend continues for the next few years and then he has a 6-6 or 5-7 year against a powerful B1G at the time, it could be his last string....I will say the whole fire Bo crowd thing is crazy....It will all be silenced next year when our schedule sets us up for an easy 10 or 11 regular season wins and then a B1G championship game and bowl game...we could go 12-2 because of the schedule but then i worry everyone will still be bitching about it not being good enough because of the schedule. who knows, who cares, life goes on, there is football every year, and we will always be in good not great category. We moan and groan but imagine if you lived in a state or cheered for a school that gets excited to make a bowl game...we need to be fortunate we have a team almost always in the top 25 year in and year out.

Chris Petersen is the only person even worth considering as a replacement, because he has proven that he can dominate while coaching at a school in a low population, cold weather state. That being said, Petersen is not coming here. He's turned down numerous offers already. So everyone better hope Pelini wins as many games as possible, because we're not getting anyone better than him any time soon. Let's be realistic...

I can still remember the first few years of Ozzies tenure as head coach. Lots of simularities here. The best thing that happened for Tom was that Bob Davaney didn't listen to all the BS being spewed by the fan base. Ozzie gave us the best 25 years of football any University has ever had. Consistent. Always a winner. Always a bowl. Always, always, always a shot at a NC during some part of the season. What Ozzie had in his favor was that he didn't follow a coach and AD that had totally messed up a program with a proud tradition of excellence both on and off the field. The world of college athletics has changed dramatically. Ozzies recruiting classes were never highly rated. Lincoln is cold and bleak in the winter. We don't have Bambi, and Heather and Missy and a flock of bimbos to give recruits a tour of facilities and the campus. What we did have was STABILITY. Tom's core of assistants were with him for the duration of his career. Pederson blew that up and its obviously a tough road back. Bo came in and turned things back in the right direction. Does he need time? Yes he does. Does he need to tweek his staff. Absolutely. The Strength and Conditioning coach needs to get a lot better at his job of preparing our players, (especially the linemen) for what is expected of them. I'm tired of seeing flabby bellies hanging over the tops of pants. BC needs to move on and I care not where, just pack up and go Barney. Your OL's are an embarrasment to the program. We used to count the number of pancakes in double digits every game. The phrase 'pancake block' isn't even uttered now.

Be patient Husker Nation. Be happy with what we have, just don't be satisfied.

T_O_B

:bigredn:

• Fire 1

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

• Fire 1

for some reason, our big guy at nu does not want to hire a coach with a great record...since osborn retired, the coaches nu has hired has no track record as a successful head coach at the d1 level...so some of the blames has to go to the big guy at nu,,,,mr p. i like bo, he,s got to feel miserable, but he trys hard...but the money he makes, i cannot feel to sorry.

I want to add something. I'm not a big "get mad and demand coach X gets fired" person just because we lost. I'm not even mad. Or calling for heads. I expected this season would suck, and lo and behold, it does. The people who think we're about to win out I'm not even going to address. They're too far gone.

For the rest of us, I think Bo knows he's boxed himself in. I hope he has the clarity to look past friendship and see that his method is failing. When that happens sometimes staying the course is a bad decision, maybe even the worst of all possible decisions.

The season sucks because we're 1-1 in the big ten after losing on the road to a team 10 ranks higher than us and in the other division?

Was hoping to see some perspective and the realization that we're not in a bad position Big 10 wise, except for a relatively tough schedule. Ohio State also beat MSU, making our job easier. We showed we have strength, talent, and can make big plays as well as big mistakes, but this was not a must win game nor were we favored.

I suggest we come back down from the edge, stop acting like Iowa fans- who actually have something to really complain about, and just breathe into a paper bag for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry you apparently missed the game and the press conference afterwards. In your conveniently coy Football-For-Dummies version of what actually happened last night, you forgot to mention that our quarterback 'improved' from bad to miserable, our defense was Cosgrovian in the non-hyperbole sense of the word, and afterwards our coach looked like a guy who just came out of the trenches in World War 1.

Forget winning the division. There's no logical reason to think it will happen. Forget the title. That won't happen either. What did happen (or is happening, I should say), is Nebraska has been completely exposed. Every minor fault and crack many decided to ignore in favor of fantasies of a psychologically matured, disciplined football team split into canyons. We have massive systemic issues within the program and no amount of excuse-peddling or sunshine-pumping is going to alter that fact. It will continue to prove itself over. . .and over. . .and over. . .until the issue is addressed. It's Groundhog Day at Nebraska as long as self-delusion is the modus operandi.

My feeling is, this staff as it stands is completely incapable of addressing its problems. Pelini is largely responsible for this. Now, finally, after last night, I think he's beginning the process of coming to terms with it. We're not on the ledge. We've fallen off it. Recognize it. Admit it. If you don't, I hope Bo does, else I fully believe we are sunk.

You're sunk. Gone! I suggest you follow Alabama this year since they're the only team that won't lose a big game under pressure. Any of the other top 10 can and likely will.

OSU is a better team, and Braxton Miller is a better QB. There was no way we were coming out of that stadium with a win unless those two factors didn't bother showing up. Since they did, our turnover problems only made a loss into an embarrassing one. Who the hell cares? I suggest you let go of your personal, posterior pain and sandy nether-region affliction and realize that we're 1-1 in our division, it's early, and the worst game is probably over. I'll admit that our program has its challenges but there is no reason to expect, even hope for out of spite, the same kind of result in any of our remaining games.

This is borderline pathetic. Pelini was hired for the sole purpose of fixing the defense. In the fifth year of his tenure with eight seniors in the unit he had 60+ points hung on him by a completely mediocre team in a pitiful, laughably weak conference. On national TV. A national embarrassment--one in a string, by the way, long enough to wear them like a necklace. What's Jimmy's insight?

Ladies and gentlemen, I kid you not: "Who the hell cares?"

Not you, obviously. Fortunately you're completely beside the point. The question is about Bo. Not whether he cares, but how much. Does he care enough to look inside at his core and see the nepotism that has brought us to this point? Will anyone not named Taylor Martinez be given a legitimate shot to lead this team? Is he capable of examining his defensive scheme and realizing that it's failed? And more importantly than any of those three, if he does find his flaws, is he willing to look for help, and will be the money be there to bring in the people who are actually capable of helping him put this program back on the map? God I hope so.

Gee, I could have sworn Ohio State was undefeated. If so, 6 - 0 is "mediocre"? Well then, pray tell just what the heck is a good team? How about a great team? So of course Braxton is "mediocre". Urban is "mediocre". Playing at the shoe is just another "pitiful & mediocre" game that should be won with the greatest of ease. U-huh.....gotcha.

You then proceed to claim as fact that Tmart is the only player who has a legitimate chance of leading our team.

Uhhh...why don't you relax and have a beer? It might help.

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

TOB - You need to get out a little more if you don't know that's true about the national perception of Bo. He's a laughing stock. Go read some other team's forums, look at what other media is saying about him, talk to some fans of some other teams. And it's not just teams in the B1G or teams we are playing who might have a reason, it's teams who have no vested interest whatsoever. Most people see him as a joke except for some homer Nebraska fans.

Not my opinion...fact. If you don't believe me, go research it yourself.

I can still remember the first few years of Ozzies tenure as head coach. Lots of simularities here. The best thing that happened for Tom was that Bob Davaney didn't listen to all the BS being spewed by the fan base. Ozzie gave us the best 25 years of football any University has ever had. Consistent. Always a winner. Always a bowl. Always, always, always a shot at a NC during some part of the season. What Ozzie had in his favor was that he didn't follow a coach and AD that had totally messed up a program with a proud tradition of excellence both on and off the field. The world of college athletics has changed dramatically. Ozzies recruiting classes were never highly rated. Lincoln is cold and bleak in the winter. We don't have Bambi, and Heather and Missy and a flock of bimbos to give recruits a tour of facilities and the campus. What we did have was STABILITY. Tom's core of assistants were with him for the duration of his career. Pederson blew that up and its obviously a tough road back. Bo came in and turned things back in the right direction. Does he need time? Yes he does. Does he need to tweek his staff. Absolutely. The Strength and Conditioning coach needs to get a lot better at his job of preparing our players, (especially the linemen) for what is expected of them. I'm tired of seeing flabby bellies hanging over the tops of pants. BC needs to move on and I care not where, just pack up and go Barney. Your OL's are an embarrasment to the program. We used to count the number of pancakes in double digits every game. The phrase 'pancake block' isn't even uttered now.

T_O_B

Bingo.

Devaney was a great, great coach who knew full well how to ignore wild, ego-driven fans. There were droves of them demanding TO's head too. TO of course knows that too but now he's gone. Scary. Another Pedeyshine and Nebraska is Minnesota for decades.

T_O_B

Bingo.

Devaney was a great, great coach who knew full well how to ignore wild, ego-driven fans. There were droves of them demanding TO's head too. TO of course knows that too but now he's gone. Scary. Another Pedeyshine and Nebraska is Minnesota for decades.

Times have changed since the Bob-Father.

But seriously though...things aren't that bad.

It's really all about next season and our slack conference schedule.

And ponies. It's also about ponies.

it's not that things aren't that bad...that's not what were mad/frustrated about...we can still have a "good" year by definition, and finish with 8 or 9 wins...it's the fact that we cannot get over the hump of losing to a team we shouldn't and getting whipped on the road against a similar ranked team. It is so disheartening to the fans when we get so amped up for the season because husker football is all we have, and we have extremely high expectations, but there needs to be light at the end of the tunnel, and that doesn't necessarily mean natty champ, it just means progress and getting better, which has not happened in the past 5 years. I like Bo and he needs time, but it's scary because if this trend continues for the next few years and then he has a 6-6 or 5-7 year against a powerful B1G at the time, it could be his last string....I will say the whole fire Bo crowd thing is crazy....It will all be silenced next year when our schedule sets us up for an easy 10 or 11 regular season wins and then a B1G championship game and bowl game...we could go 12-2 because of the schedule but then i worry everyone will still be bitching about it not being good enough because of the schedule. who knows, who cares, life goes on, there is football every year, and we will always be in good not great category. We moan and groan but imagine if you lived in a state or cheered for a school that gets excited to make a bowl game...we need to be fortunate we have a team almost always in the top 25 year in and year out.

Since when is 8 wins considered a "good" season?? I remember when 9 wins was considered a BAD year. And no, I refuse to feel "fortunate" that we have team that "almost always" finishes in the Top 25 every year. That is bullsh#t. Those standards suck. We should be competing for conference championships and BCS bowls on a regular basis, nothing less.