"I wish I knew." -Bo Pelini 10/6/12

Urban Meyer lost to us last year with a complete defensive meltdown....obviously he should've been fired or at least replaced his entire staff. :ahhhhhhhh

Luke Fickell was Ohio State's coach in 2011.

I believe Urban Meyer brought his entire own staff.

You're not exactly making a good case here :P

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

The truth hurts, pal. Bo does not have a good national rep at all. I live in Louisiana and Bo coached at LSU, won a championship with them, and all of their fans think he's crazy and has a terrible temper. When I lived elsewhere they felt the same way.

Not your pal, ever. My tailgate has one standing rule, "No trolls allowed."

T_O_B

+1 Husker_x Good Post.

This was one of the few "bad" losses that was not even upsetting to watch. It's not the loss that's alarming, rather its the way they lost.

How does a team that leads 17 - 7 at one point, score 38, still get blown out?

I just feel that the program under Pelini has "peaked". Sadly, the high point was probably after the holiday bowl vs Arizona. Like Husker_X, not calling for his job, but very set in the understanding that this is what you get with Bo. 8 - 9 wins over cupcakes, 2 -3 embarassing losses, and 1 loss to someone you shouldn't lose to.

One other issue that's been bugging me for awhile is the defensive "guru" label on Pelini. I mean, the media can call him whatever they want, but it seems apparent to me, that bo's defensive issues are systemic. As a coach he can run whatever system he wants. I'm fine with that. But, when you don't have the right personnel to run your system, why dont you adapt your system to your personnel? Suh, gomes, hagg, etc. are coming back. If that's the caliber of talent needed to effectively run this "scheme" it's not going to change anytime soon either.

So what does that mean for the defense? Would Bo hire a DC to "fix" the d? Would that be like Bo firing himself? What does Papuchis actually do? Just questions i've been thinking about.

Lastly, looking at the points tOSU has put versus other teams does that make our the defense the worst they have played this year? I know points can be skewed by pick 6's and punt returns, but honestly, why is it every other team holds tOSU to fewer points?

One other issue that's been bugging me for awhile is the defensive "guru" label on Pelini. I mean, the media can call him whatever they want, but it seems apparent to me, that bo's defensive issues are systemic. As a coach he can run whatever system he wants. I'm fine with that. But, when you don't have the right personnel to run your system, why dont you adapt your system to your personnel? Suh, gomes, hagg, etc. are coming back. If that's the caliber of talent needed to effectively run this "scheme" it's not going to change anytime soon either.

So what does that mean for the defense? Would Bo hire a DC to "fix" the d? Would that be like Bo firing himself? What does Papuchis actually do? Just questions i've been thinking about.

Lastly, looking at the points tOSU has put versus other teams does that make our the defense the worst they have played this year? I know points can be skewed by pick 6's and punt returns, but honestly, why is it every other team holds tOSU to fewer points?

I do think Pelini has an excellent defensive mind. I am starting to question whether he has the same kind of knack for running the entire team. Perhaps it comes down to being spread too thin or just a lack of experience.

I think the most telling part of your comment is the section I've underlined. Either the system is too complicated for the players or the players lack the physical skills to implement the plays with success. I think it's probably a mixture of both problems. Either way, the defense is in tatters and has completely regressed since its peak Suh's senior year. I think a large part of this is the relative weaknesses in our recruiting classes, Bo has shown that when he has quality players, he can command a dominating defensive force. See our 2009 squad. But I think you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that Bo doesn't care to adapt around his players' abilities and weaknesses. He's a stubborn guy. I like that about him. But I feel like he's hitting his head on a brick wall repeatedly sometimes, knows it, but keeps thinking that one more hit will bring down the wall.

To me it's pretty silly to even have the "fire the coach!" conversation until he's at least had a losing season. And I think it's a little premature to declare his hires are failures. We're pretty depleted in talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. Even if we would have gone out and gotten a "name" coordinator, we'd probably still be seeing more or less the same result.

Kaczenski was a proven commodity and the lack of talent on the defensive line still shows.

I disagree. Anything under 9 wins is unacceptable, IMO. Osborne established that number as the standard and never went beneath it. The first time a coach achieves less than that, a possible replacement must be discussed.

Agree to disagree. "You have to be as succesful as Tom Osborne, or else you're fired" isn't something I would consider a reasonable expectation.

To me it's pretty silly to even have the "fire the coach!" conversation until he's at least had a losing season. And I think it's a little premature to declare his hires are failures. We're pretty depleted in talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. Even if we would have gone out and gotten a "name" coordinator, we'd probably still be seeing more or less the same result.

Kaczenski was a proven commodity and the lack of talent on the defensive line still shows.

I disagree. Anything under 9 wins is unacceptable, IMO. Osborne established that number as the standard and never went beneath it. The first time a coach achieves less than that, a possible replacement must be discussed.

Agree to disagree. "You have to be as succesful as Tom Osborne, or else you're fired" isn't something I would consider a reasonable expectation.

We play more games now so I think 9 wins as a standard is perfectly acceptable considering we have 3 gimmes each year in the non-conference.

One has to only look at Tom Osborne's poll finishes in his first years as a Nebraska head coach to realize we are not even talking about the same zip code of expectations when we refer to Bo's 9 or 10 win seasons thus far.

I agree with The Dude; on the flip side, I don't think you have to be a total, unmitigated disaster to merit firing. In this case I just think we were poorly set up for this season due in fair measure to Bo's past mistakes recruiting, since turned around. If Bo can continue turning that around, he should have more time to show he can recover from it, almost regardless of how this season turns out.

His problems are most likely systematic as you said. Beins that, if when the season ends and he does make necassary changes (not to the coaching staff, that part's coming) we still have to give them time to see if that pans out. Be honest, was Solich given enough time to see if his major overhaul after '02 was going to work? Because it sure was looking like it would. Play on the field was improving, and so was recruiting.

With regards to chagnes in coaching staff, this thought is insane. Bo is still trying to rebuild the continuity on the staff that we had his first 3 years. The staff he brought in in 2008 with him was the same, unchanged through 2010. Then changes started happening. Watson and Gilmore were let go, and Sanders had to resign. This is where the shakeups occur...

2011: New conference, new opponent that killed any and all familiarity Bo had gained in his 1st 3 years, when the program was on a clear rise. Coaching staff?

New OC-Tim Beck (to go along with a new system)

New Asst OLine Coach-John Garrison (a new position all-together) and to also handle TE's

New RB Coach-Ron Brown

New WR Coach-Rich Fisher, could say that position has turned out quite solid so far-also handles TE's

Defense:

DC: Publicly noted that Carl Pelini takes full-time role of DC so Bo can help build offense

DLine-John Papuchis takes over entire D-line instead of just Dends for Carl.

New Linebackers Coach-Ross Els, for departed Ekeler

New Secondary-Corey Raymond.

So you can see we basically rebuilt the entire staff prior to 2011. That's like starting over in 2008. Not to mention the youth and inexperience we had on D after the departure of NFL talent galore. Then prior to this season we have to replace the DC becuause Carl is forced out, that's a promotion so we have to replace a Dline coach. Raymond leaves so we have to replace a secondary coach. So again, this year the Defense is working with 3 coaches in new positions out of 4. Ross Els is the only one continued. Take away the talent and experience of Dennard and David, and it's obvious why we're having issues. We really need to give this time, esp if we stay in the 8-10 win category. I truly believe that Bo has his guys in place right now, and barring any other shakeups-which I doubt because these guys seem to really want to be here-and should stay together for the long term, there's no reason we shouldnt see a nice run brewing.

As far as Bo promoting and hiring buddies, this concept is so overblown it makes me sick. This happens everywhere. Hell, Bob Stoops just threw his brother a bone in the offseason, the guy we all "wanted". Every coach wants to surround himself with guys he knows, has worked with, or shares common ground in philosophy with. Bo's guys just happen to be very young. I'm willing to let them figure it out.

Say what you want about Pelini, but the national perception of him is that he's a hothead who verbally abuses his players. I hate to say that, but it's true.

...and you know this how. The negativity in your posts make me want to throw up and most of them are just plain silly. Take your nickle and go buy a stick of gum.

T_O_B

The truth hurts, pal. Bo does not have a good national rep at all. I live in Louisiana and Bo coached at LSU, won a championship with them, and all of their fans think he's crazy and has a terrible temper. When I lived elsewhere they felt the same way.

T_O_B

OK, well, then you're simply in denial, and beyond help. Go ahead and do some research, and see what you find. In the game where Bo went to the hospital, on several message boards and blogs and twitters and whatnot, the general consensus was, "It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy; karma is a bitch."

One has to only look at Tom Osborne's poll finishes in his first years as a Nebraska head coach to realize we are not even talking about the same zip code of expectations when we refer to Bo's 9 or 10 win seasons thus far.

I agree with The Dude; on the flip side, I don't think you have to be a total, unmitigated disaster to merit firing. In this case I just think we were poorly set up for this season due in fair measure to Bo's past mistakes recruiting, since turned around. If Bo can continue turning that around, he should have more time to show he can recover from it, almost regardless of how this season turns out.

That's where we differ -- I really haven't seen much progress at all in recruiting during the 5 years Bo has been here. Still barely crack the Top 25 in recruiting each year, and many of the top recruits in the classes leave for one reason or another. Until we can consistently land Top 10 recruiting classes we will never return to prominence.

T_O_B

T_O_B

OK, well, then you're simply in denial, and beyond help. Go ahead and do some research, and see what you find. In the game where Bo went to the hospital, on several message boards and blogs and twitters and whatnot, the general consensus was, "It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy; karma is a bitch." And check my other posts; I'm well-respected and far from being a troll. Voicing well-warranted criticism does not make one a troll. I actually like Bo, I just don't think he's cut out to be a head coach, at least not at this level, due to his lack of recruiting ability.

I see this scenario:

A 7-5 or possibly 6-6 season with losses to UCLA (mobile QB), OSU ( mobile QB), Michigan ( mobile QB), Northwestern ( mobile QB) and at least one more against either Penn state or Michigan state. Possibly even Minnesota or Iowa with enough turnovers, penalties, bad tackling and miscues in general. You know, the stuff we have developed a "consistency" in during Bo's time here.

Bo will be on the hot seat for sure, but will have one more year to put it together. Of course there are conspiracy theories out there saying the recent AD hire was put in place to push Bo out when Tom would not have. The OSU game was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not so much losing, but losing big with a mind boggling lack of fundamentals in so many areas.

That's where we differ -- I really haven't seen much progress at all in recruiting during the 5 years Bo has been here. Still barely crack the Top 25 in recruiting each year, and many of the top recruits in the classes leave for one reason or another. Until we can consistently land Top 10 recruiting classes we will never return to prominence.

While bringing in the big recruits is important, how you coach those recruits is even more important. The general consensus was that Callahan could recruit, but he never did anything with that talent. You have to develop players to be successful and you can do it with 3 and 4 stars it just makes the road a little more difficult. I'd much rather have 3 and 4 star recruits that aren't attention whores and whiners that are hard workers and good kids than 5 stars that may/can trash a program with their antics. Not saying Bo has developed ALOT of talent here, but I think he's done a better job with it than Callahan.