Northwestern-What will it take to beat them?

How do we stop Kain Colter and company?

We all remember the debacle that unfolded last year so revenge would be nice. Penn St. did a great job holding the Wildcats this last weekend despite turnovers giving the Wildcats the short field. How do we mimic what they did?

Pasting post in from a duplicate thread.

I don't buy that we don't have the athletes to compete in terms of defense. I'm not saying we're stacked with future NFL talent or anything on the defensive side of the ball right now, but I don't think our problems there are stemming from lack of horses. It's a coaching issue, and they're going to have to address whatever it is prior to the Northwestern game.

What kind of information do we have on Northwestern? What are their strengths? Weaknesses? We're playing them at home and there's probably a huge chip on our shoulders where they are concerned as they beat us in Lincoln. What do we know about this team?

offense defense and special teams

I don't buy that we don't have the athletes to compete in terms of defense. I'm not saying we're stacked with future NFL talent or anything on the defensive side of the ball right now, but I don't think our problems there are stemming from lack of horses. It's a coaching issue, and they're going to have to address whatever it is prior to the Northwestern game.

i agree with you, i think that the players just arent able to go out and play... they have to many reads and progressions they have to go through while the play is going on before they can react and actually make a play

Aside from a miracle?

Start by getting much more aggressive on defense, particularly with the DL. Northwestern has receivers that are pretty much equal to what we have. The difference is they have not one, but two, mobile quarterbacks who can both throw far better than Braxton Miller. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly think Nebraska is going to get hammered badly in this game.

Aside from a miracle?

Start by getting much more aggressive on defense, particularly with the DL. Northwestern has receivers that are pretty much equal to what we have. The difference is they have not one, but two, mobile quarterbacks who can both throw far better than Braxton Miller. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly think Nebraska is going to get hammered badly in this game.

http://thechive.com/2012/10/11/these-animals-are-very-upset-with-you-23-photos/upset-animals-17/

We have a reasonable shot at beating Northwestern. IF we do not give them a short field often via the turnover (or bad ST play) and the Huskers do not kill themselves with penalties... then even if Colter is tough to contain, the Huskers will be right in it to the end and maybe win. If Northwestern has a turnover or two and the Huskers do not, then the Huskers are very likely to win.

On the other hand, if the Huskers lose the turnover & penalty differential in this game --- as unfortunately they so often tend to do --- we lose.

Going into this 5 week stretch, I felt beforehand that Wisconsin would be the easiest foe and OSU the most difficult foe we would face. On the road against NW and MSU I see us as being slightly less likely to win than to lose... with Michigan at home being a pretty certain loss. So... NW is a needed win. We must take one from either NW or MSU to come out of this 5 game stretch at 5-4 for when we face Penn State. Penn State may be a tougher game than we thought at the beginning of the season as well.

But back to NW. It is a winnable game... but only if the Huskers are error free, near error free, or, at least, more error free than NW.