5 Year Slump?

I've seen a lot of discussion that it is common for a coach to hit a slump in their 5th year because of the time it takes to reload or get the right coaches in place or whatever excuse is being thrown out. Well guess what...there's nothing to this theory whatsoever. More excuses and spin jobs. For every coach you can come up with who excelled after a fifth year slump, I can find one that excelled much earlier. Have a look at this...

In the last 12 years...

Bob Stoops - National Championship - Year 2 "big game Bob" is used sarcastically now

Larry Coker - National Championship - Year 1 who?

Jim Tressel - National Championship - Year 2 scandal

Nick Saban - National Championship - Year 4 Football Coach Jesus

Pete Carroll - National Championship - Year 3 & 4 Cheated

Urban Meyer - National Championship - Year 2 & 4 No one likes him so whatever

Les Miles - National Championship - Year 3 Crazy

Nick Saban (again) - National Championship - Year 3 & 5 see above

Gene Chizik - National Championship - Year 2 Cheated- or his school did anyway.

In fact, if you can deduct anything, it's that if your guy doesn't win a National Championship in his first 5 years in today's game, there is a VERY good chance he's never going to. The only coach who has won a NC in the last 12 years which wasn't in his first five years was Mack Brown at Texas. Took him 8.

I got an idea, lets compare these coaches to reasons you don't like Pelini!

But the guy acts like a little bitch constantly and embarrasses Nebraska. From his entitled stance when he wasn't handed Frank's job to the way he treated Bill Snyder to his wife's FUSP gloves...all the way through to the flipping the clipboard at our own crowd to just flat out acting like a dick to every single media member he comes across to his sideline tantrums and everything in between. There really are too many instances to name or try to remember. An isolated instance like that or two and it's a funny side note on who Bo is. But Bo's personality flaws and tantrums and outbursts and the like are so frequent that they have come to define who he is and truly override any positive personality traits he may posses. And, unfortunately, those same flaws are coming to define Nebraska football. I have a problem with that.

The Nebraska I know doesn't act that way. Nebraska people don't act that way. Bo is less "Nebraska" than any head coach I can remember and he's not who I want as a face for one of the things that identifies Nebraska the most. He's not the perception I want the rest of the college football nation to have of Nebraska. The way he acts is not what I want my son/daughter growing up idolizing.

Nick Saban yelling/hitting player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRjDVsw-eQU&feature=related

Les Miles talking about a recruit that decomitted. Total class act!

I've seen a lot of discussion that it is common for a coach to hit a slump in their 5th year because of the time it takes to reload or get the right coaches in place or whatever excuse is being thrown out. Well guess what...there's nothing to this theory whatsoever. More excuses and spin jobs. For every coach you can come up with who excelled after a fifth year slump, I can find one that excelled much earlier. Have a look at this...

In the last 12 years...

Bob Stoops - National Championship - Year 2

Larry Coker - National Championship - Year 1

Jim Tressel - National Championship - Year 2

Nick Saban - National Championship - Year 4

Pete Carroll - National Championship - Year 3 & 4

Urban Meyer - National Championship - Year 2 & 4

Les Miles - National Championship - Year 3

Nick Saban (again) - National Championship - Year 3 & 5

Gene Chizik - National Championship - Year 2

In fact, if you can deduct anything, it's that if your guy doesn't win a National Championship in his first 5 years in today's game, there is a VERY good chance he's never going to. The only coach who has won a NC in the last 12 years which wasn't in his first five years was Mack Brown at Texas. Took him 8.

• Fire 1

From my short time here, I have realized that Lando is just a very upset person, and seems to completely hate everything about Nebraska, starting with Bo, to the coaching staff, to Martinez and ending with the whole defense in general. A "fan" that will never be happy.

To clarify your post....

• Stoops- Yes year two, he won National Title
  • Larry Coker - Yes, he won a National Title his first year, but if I remember right, didn't they only lose one game the year before? Meaning he played off the success and players recruited from the coach before. Not taking any credit away from him, as he did win one, but the school wasn't having the worst 4 years of school history before he became HC.
  • Jim Tressel - OSU wasn't his first head coaching job, so therefore, your statement is completely invalid. Let alone, Cooper was let go when OSU was still not having a losing record, and is strong on recruiting.
  • Nick Saban -It took 14 years for Saban to win a championship and finally struck gold when he went to Alabama. Another coach who had time to LEARN the HC position. It took him 3 previous Head Coaching jobs to be exact.
  • Pete Carroll - Wasn't Pete Carroll's first HC gig with the NFL? Again, another coach who had previous experience before he went to USC. 6&6 even as his first season.
  • Urban Meyer - Urban Meyer took 4 years to become a National Title to win.
  • Les Miles - Les Miles has yet to have an undefeated season, and honestly, the reason they see a National Title with a loss or two, is because they are in the SEC. Two loss season, you would never see Nebraska there. I also believe LSU was handed over in great shape to him, and the only reason there was a coaching change, was because LSU got beat my Iowa in the Capital One bowl.
  • Gene Chizik - Look at his first 3 years as HC! 13-24 win to loss!!! Then he goes to an SEC school where recruiting is strong! Sure takes a good coach to win a National Title, but your blind to the other numbers that Bo isn't even close to! That guy lost more games in 3 years, than Bo has in 4 1/2!

One difference is that Urban, Nick and Les all cut their chops at other schools prior to getting their HC jobs at the spots that won them the MNC. They got much experience along the way before their run for the MNC. Bo did not have that luxury. He came right in from a DC to HC with no HC stops prior to NU. He is truly learning on the job. Then throw in Beck as OC with no real experience and Paps with even less. It is a recipe for disaster. A new HC with experienced staff would work. A new HC, new OC, new LB coach, new DC etc is not good. Bo needs time, but needs some serious help in the coaching arena.

In the last 12 years...

Bob Stoops - National Championship - Year 2

Larry Coker - National Championship - Year 1

Jim Tressel - National Championship - Year 2

Nick Saban - National Championship - Year 4

Pete Carroll - National Championship - Year 3 & 4

Urban Meyer - National Championship - Year 2 & 4

Les Miles - National Championship - Year 3

Nick Saban (again) - National Championship - Year 3 & 5

Gene Chizik - National Championship - Year 2

Nebraska's 2 NC coaches took longer than 5 years too win their titles. This debunks you're theory. Todays college game wants quick fixers. they win early and then taper off, cuz they don't know how too build a program, but know how too come in and fix a good teams problems.

You will notice all those guys who won in their first 2 years, walked into talented, but unmotivated teams with obsolete schemes. Those are easy fixes for a new coach.

Guys that want too build a program often get fired because it takes 4 -5 years too successfully implement. So thus Guys like Turner Gill get fired.

I want Bo, because he aint a quick fixer, he is a long term guy.