5 Year Slump?

From my short time here, I have realized that Lando is just a very upset person, and seems to completely hate everything about Nebraska, starting with Bo, to the coaching staff, to Martinez and ending with the whole defense in general. A "fan" that will never be happy.

To clarify your post....

• Stoops- Yes year two, he won National Title
  • Larry Coker - Yes, he won a National Title his first year, but if I remember right, didn't they only lose one game the year before? Meaning he played off the success and players recruited from the coach before. Not taking any credit away from him, as he did win one, but the school wasn't having the worst 4 years of school history before he became HC.
  • Jim Tressel - OSU wasn't his first head coaching job, so therefore, your statement is completely invalid. Let alone, Cooper was let go when OSU was still not having a losing record, and is strong on recruiting.
  • Nick Saban -It took 14 years for Saban to win a championship and finally struck gold when he went to Alabama. Another coach who had time to LEARN the HC position. It took him 3 previous Head Coaching jobs to be exact.
  • Pete Carroll - Wasn't Pete Carroll's first HC gig with the NFL? Again, another coach who had previous experience before he went to USC. 6&6 even as his first season.
  • Urban Meyer - Urban Meyer took 4 years to become a National Title to win.
  • Les Miles - Les Miles has yet to have an undefeated season, and honestly, the reason they see a National Title with a loss or two, is because they are in the SEC. Two loss season, you would never see Nebraska there. I also believe LSU was handed over in great shape to him, and the only reason there was a coaching change, was because LSU got beat my Iowa in the Capital One bowl.
  • Gene Chizik - Look at his first 3 years as HC! 13-24 win to loss!!! Then he goes to an SEC school where recruiting is strong! Sure takes a good coach to win a National Title, but your blind to the other numbers that Bo isn't even close to! That guy lost more games in 3 years, than Bo has in 4 1/2!

2870921_o.gif

From my short time here, I have realized that Lando is just a very upset person, and seems to completely hate everything about Nebraska, starting with Bo, to the coaching staff, to Martinez and ending with the whole defense in general. A "fan" that will never be happy.

To clarify your post....

• Larry Coker - Yes, he won a National Title his first year, but if I remember right, didn't they only lose one game the year before? Meaning he played off the success and players recruited from the coach before. Not taking any credit away from him, as he did win one, but the school wasn't having the worst 4 years of school history before he became HC.
  • Jim Tressel - OSU wasn't his first head coaching job, so therefore, your statement is completely invalid. Let alone, Cooper was let go when OSU was still not having a losing record, and is strong on recruiting.
  • Nick Saban -It took 14 years for Saban to win a championship and finally struck gold when he went to Alabama. Another coach who had time to LEARN the HC position. It took him 3 previous Head Coaching jobs to be exact.
  • Pete Carroll - Wasn't Pete Carroll's first HC gig with the NFL? Again, another coach who had previous experience before he went to USC. 6&6 even as his first season.
  • Les Miles - Les Miles has yet to have an undefeated season, and honestly, the reason they see a National Title with a loss or two, is because they are in the SEC. Two loss season, you would never see Nebraska there. I also believe LSU was handed over in great shape to him, and the only reason there was a coaching change, was because LSU got beat my Iowa in the Capital One bowl.
  • Gene Chizik - Look at his first 3 years as HC! 13-24 win to loss!!! Then he goes to an SEC school where recruiting is strong! Sure takes a good coach to win a National Title, but your blind to the other numbers that Bo isn't even close to! That guy lost more games in 3 years, than Bo has in 4 1/2!

Your statement about Saban

Is What scares me about Bo. We run him off and he'll go somewhere and rip off about 4 titles!

I've seen a lot of discussion that it is common for a coach to hit a slump in their 5th year because of the time it takes to reload or get the right coaches in place or whatever excuse is being thrown out. Well guess what...there's nothing to this theory whatsoever. More excuses and spin jobs. For every coach you can come up with who excelled after a fifth year slump, I can find one that excelled much earlier. Have a look at this...

In the last 12 years...

Bob Stoops - National Championship - Year 2

Larry Coker - National Championship - Year 1

Jim Tressel - National Championship - Year 2

Nick Saban - National Championship - Year 4

Pete Carroll - National Championship - Year 3 & 4

Urban Meyer - National Championship - Year 2 & 4

Les Miles - National Championship - Year 3

Nick Saban (again) - National Championship - Year 3 & 5

Gene Chizik - National Championship - Year 2

In fact, if you can deduct anything, it's that if your guy doesn't win a National Championship in his first 5 years in today's game, there is a VERY good chance he's never going to. The only coach who has won a NC in the last 12 years which wasn't in his first five years was Mack Brown at Texas. Took him 8.

And look where Gene Chizik is now. You're a tool dude. Auburn bought a National Championship for $200,000.

To clarify your post....

Your statement about Saban

Is What scares me about Bo. We run him off and he'll go somewhere and rip off about 4 titles!

I see it this way, as long as we are taking steps forward, I am fine with the way things are. He has yet to have less than 4 losses in a season, with absolutely no experience at HC, let alone hiring these "rookies" under him. Tim Beck for example is someone almost everyone wanted out, but look at it now. BOOM BEST offense we have had with the most depth ever in history. Yeah we turn the ball over, but that has nothing to do with the play calling! Its the lack of responsibility with the ball. You have Rex out there losing the ball! Someone who doesn't normally do that, but it happens, but we still score 30+ points, and 38 against a very good defense.

We red shirted a lot of talent on the defense this year, expecting we wouldn't need them, but I have a feeling, you will see some of them on the field against Northwestern. I could very well be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised.

OP, from reading the responses, perhaps you should have clarified the number of years as being the number of years the coach was at a particular program before achieving a championship.

Even if he stated the number of years at a particular program, he would be putting his own fist in his mouth, as he was trying to state that an inexperienced coach (all of them) have done what most of everyone said has not been done. Sure two coaches, which one had a 13-24 his previous 3 years. One championship and nothing now.

To clarify your post....

• Stoops- Yes year two, he won National Title. John Blake loaded that team with talent.
  • Larry Coker - Yes, he won a National Title his first year, but if I remember right, didn't they only lose one game the year before? Meaning he played off the success and players recruited from the coach before. Not taking any credit away from him, as he did win one, but the school wasn't having the worst 4 years of school history before he became HC. Thank Butch Davis for his valiant recruiting efforts. Once that talent started to matriculate to the NFL, Coker's recruiting and coaching acumen (lack of) became more apparent.
  • Jim Tressel - OSU wasn't his first head coaching job, so therefore, your statement is completely invalid. Let alone, Cooper was let go when OSU was still not having a losing record, and is strong on recruiting. Agree
  • Nick Saban -It took 14 years for Saban to win a championship and finally struck gold when he went to Alabama. Another coach who had time to LEARN the HC position. It took him 3 previous Head Coaching jobs to be exact. Yep. Saban had 2 previous HC gigs before getting a NC at LSU. Which was at LSU....a talent rich area. Same story with Bama.
  • Pete Carroll - Wasn't Pete Carroll's first HC gig with the NFL? Again, another coach who had previous experience before he went to USC. 6&6 even as his first season. Agree. Carroll (or Kiffin) have the ultimate luxury of not having to fight other schools for So Cal's finest HS prospects.
  • Urban Meyer - Urban Meyer took 4 years to become a National Title to win. At Florida in the SEC. He did have the luxury of getting his kinks out at Bowling Green and Utah. Great Coach though.
  • Les Miles - Les Miles has yet to have an undefeated season, and honestly, the reason they see a National Title with a loss or two, is because they are in the SEC. Two loss season, you would never see Nebraska there. I also believe LSU was handed over in great shape to him, and the only reason there was a coaching change, was because LSU got beat my Iowa in the Capital One bowl. At Ok State, one losing season and two five loss seasons and one four loss season. Once more he wasn't able to gain notoriety UNTIL he left for talent rich Louisiana. Easy pickings. Does any one really think if he wasn't at LSU that he'd look as good as he misleadingly does?
  • Gene Chizik - Look at his first 3 years as HC! 13-24 win to loss!!! Then he goes to an SEC school where recruiting is strong! Sure takes a good coach to win a National Title, but your blind to the other numbers that Bo isn't even close to! That guy lost more games in 3 years, than Bo has in 4 1/2! I have never thought of him to be a good coach and ISU says everything to me. Doesn't surprise me one bit that he's struggling now. It's amazing what a couple hundred Gs and a freak athlete at QB will do for you.

I do think Bo needs to tighten some things up, but things need to be put into perspective. All in all I agree with your post.

I've seen a lot of discussion that it is common for a coach to hit a slump in their 5th year because of the time it takes to reload or get the right coaches in place or whatever excuse is being thrown out. Well guess what...there's nothing to this theory whatsoever. More excuses and spin jobs. For every coach you can come up with who excelled after a fifth year slump, I can find one that excelled much earlier. Have a look at this...

In the last 12 years...

Bob Stoops - National Championship - Year 2

Larry Coker - National Championship - Year 1

Jim Tressel - National Championship - Year 2

Nick Saban - National Championship - Year 4

Pete Carroll - National Championship - Year 3 & 4

Urban Meyer - National Championship - Year 2 & 4

Les Miles - National Championship - Year 3

Nick Saban (again) - National Championship - Year 3 & 5

Gene Chizik - National Championship - Year 2

In fact, if you can deduct anything, it's that if your guy doesn't win a National Championship in his first 5 years in today's game, there is a VERY good chance he's never going to. The only coach who has won a NC in the last 12 years which wasn't in his first five years was Mack Brown at Texas. Took him 8.

tumblr_mbrchgmEHR1qz581wo1_400.gif

• Fire 1

Lando- Your posts are annoying. You have a hard on for Pelini that clouds every issue you post about. I thought you renounced your fanship as long as Bo was the HC. We won't miss you if you ever actually follow through and leave so don't worry about us. Let it go already. Or as the saying goes; don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

I really have nothing to add here. Everything had been said along the lines of my thoughts upon reading the op.

But I can never walk past a dumpster fire without stopping to watch or not take a couple of swings at a dead horse, so Lando, well done. You have cemented your status of Doucheman of the Millennium

• Fire 1

I really have nothing to add here. Everything had been said along the lines of my thoughts upon reading the op.

But I can never walk past a dumpster fire without stopping to watch or not take a couple of swings at a dead horse, so Lando, well done. You have cemented your status of Doucheman of the Millennium

wHAT?