5 Year Slump?

I've seen a lot of discussion that it is common for a coach to hit a slump in their 5th year because of the time it takes to reload or get the right coaches in place or whatever excuse is being thrown out. Well guess what...there's nothing to this theory whatsoever. More excuses and spin jobs. For every coach you can come up with who excelled after a fifth year slump, I can find one that excelled much earlier. Have a look at this...

In the last 12 years...

Bob Stoops - National Championship - Year 2

Larry Coker - National Championship - Year 1

Jim Tressel - National Championship - Year 2

Nick Saban - National Championship - Year 4

Pete Carroll - National Championship - Year 3 & 4

Urban Meyer - National Championship - Year 2 & 4

Les Miles - National Championship - Year 3

Nick Saban (again) - National Championship - Year 3 & 5

Gene Chizik - National Championship - Year 2

In fact, if you can deduct anything, it's that if your guy doesn't win a National Championship in his first 5 years in today's game, there is a VERY good chance he's never going to. The only coach who has won a NC in the last 12 years which wasn't in his first five years was Mack Brown at Texas. Took him 8.

Urban Meyer

Les Miles

Nick Saban

Those 3 coaches really pop out at me....ya know why? Because their W/L record wasn't highly impressive as first-time head coaches at a D1 level. Urban took Bowling Green to a 9-3, not too shabby, but your comparing apples to oranges when trying to measure their success with Bo's. You haven't factored in that the 3 successful coaches I've given above didn't win Natty Championships in their FIRST 1-3 years of being a head coach.

Comparing Les Miles and Nick's records with Bo's as being a first time head coach, Bo was more successful. Sorry....just stating facts.

• Fire 5

I've seen a lot of discussion that it is common for a coach to hit a slump in their 5th year because of the time it takes to reload or get the right coaches in place or whatever excuse is being thrown out. Well guess what...there's nothing to this theory whatsoever. More excuses and spin jobs. For every coach you can come up with who excelled after a fifth year slump, I can find one that excelled much earlier. Have a look at this...

In the last 12 years...

In fact, if you can deduct anything, it's that if your guy doesn't win a National Championship in his first 5 years in today's game, there is a VERY good chance he's never going to. The only coach who has won a NC in the last 12 years which wasn't in his first five years was Mack Brown at Texas. Took him 8.

1996 - Neb 55 Mich St 14 That was Saban at Mich St.

I'm not sure where you come up with this, but you should really look more into facts. You've made it more than visibly apparent, your disdain for Bo, we get it.

In the words of Ice Cube, "better check yourself before you wreck yourself"

• Fire 7

In the last 12 years...

keep-calm-and-call-out-dumb-posts.png

• Fire 5

In the last 12 years...

Not to mention, all these teams have the ability to turn out top 25 recruiting classes year after year, based on the school name alone.

Jesus, I have to stop reading this, because each time I do, I find more dumb ass things related to it...