Something I heard on 1620 this week...

Taylor isn't a statue, sure, but what he also isn't is a guy who runs the zone read expertly.

Then he must have forgotten how since he was a Freshman? I went to this game in particular because they broke down how long he holds the ball in the RB's gut on that read before making his decision. It's not in this clip, but it seems to me as if he's got an "expert" grasp of the zone read.

EDIT - dammit saunders!!! Stole my thunder. You remember the breakdown I'm talking about though, right?

Taylor isn't a statue, sure, but what he also isn't is a guy who runs the zone read expertly.

Then he must have forgotten how since he was a Freshman? I went to this game in particular because they broke down how long he holds the ball in the RB's gut on that read before making his decision. It's not in this clip, but it seems to me as if he's got an "expert" grasp of the zone read.

EDIT - dammit saunders!!! Stole my thunder. You remember the breakdown I'm talking about though, right?

Yup. He still runs the ZR pretty well. He's scored on it at least once this year.

Yup. He still runs the ZR pretty well. He's scored on it at least once this year.

He is actually running very close to his fresh year performance. 6 yrds per carry 2010, 5 yrds per carry 2012. Also passing more per yard this year. He is still a homerun threat this year. Statistically more than last. If Beck can continue to grow as an OC (I hope) it will only open up his abilities as DC's have to account for Rex, Bell, JT, Reed, Enunwa etc.....

Martinez is not a bruising runner ala Crouch or Frost, but against OSU he ran tougher than I have seen. He is gutsy and plays with heart. What ever issues we have, he is not one. Our O is potent enough to beat anyone if we had a D.

It is easy to play the what if game, but 2009 even 2010 D with this O equals MNC IMO.

We barely use the zone read these days. His freshman year, it was frequently a designed keeper or handoff, and not a real read. I forget who it was that pointed that out. His freshman year, Lee ran the play better.

My point is a lot of the spread option running teams really base their entire offense around the play. We use it pretty sparingly. It stands to get worked in a little more.

If Taylor runs it expertly, then our OC is a fool for not running this a dozen or two times a game, because that's the kind of play that gives Taylor those big lanes to blast through with his acceleration. If you want Taylor to be a "put the ball in his hands, watch him take over the game" kind of QB, then he needs to be able to run these plays over and over. I'm OK with using it sparingly with Taylor; we can still get the big play out of him on occasion.

I do think it would help to have Rex run it, and often. No need to get all defensive over Taylor for this, because he would still obviously be our starting QB and get the majority of the snaps.

Our offensive ranks:

Rushing Offense: - 6

Passing Offense: - 78

Total Offense: - 16

Scoring Offense: -10

Sure, we could improve on offense. But if we need to improve anywhere it's in passing, not rushing (and with a 67% completion rate, there's not a lot of realistic improvement to make in passing, unless it's to drastically increase our pass play calls).

I just don't get this conversation. Really. I don't understand why we're agonizing over the offense - least of all, why we're agonizing over a player who is, legitimately, probably the best on our team right now.

I watched every one of Tommy Armstrong's football games during his last two years of high school. There is no doubt in my mind that right now he is a more complete QB than Taylor Maritnez. He's a far superior thrower compared to Martinez, which isn't saying much. I'm a little surprised the NU staff decided to redshirt him. If he doesn't get some significant playing time next season, I'm afraid he will transfer.

I watched every one of Tommy Armstrong's football games during his last two years of high school. There is no doubt in my mind that right now he is a more complete QB than Taylor Maritnez. He's a far superior thrower compared to Martinez, which isn't saying much. I'm a little surprised the NU staff decided to redshirt him. If he doesn't get some significant playing time next season, I'm afraid he will transfer.

Then so be it. If he wants the starting job, he can go take it. I don't think anyone would complain if that were to happen.

The defense is hemorrhaging yards and points on a Cosgrovian scale and we've got another thread going about Taylor Martinez.

Martinez has completed 67% of his passes.

He's thrown 4 INTs vs. 14 TDs.

He's 13th in the nation in Pass Efficiency.

He throws an INT 3% of the time he goes back to pass.

He's 39th in the nation in Total Offense.

He's 14th in the country in Points Responsible For.

Meanwhile, the defense is:

92nd in the country in Rush Defense

49th in Total Defense

73rd in Scoring Defense

32nd in Pass Efficiency Defense

Thank god we've identified Martinez as the problem, and thank god we're ready to bench him for the next guy. Thank god we're bitching because this is the best we have.

3 of those ints against tOSU, which we lost

Right - he had a bad game. We certainly can't take away that bad game from his stats, but everyone has a bad game.

Meanwhile, the defense has been embarrassed twice on national TV. And yet we're talking about the quarterback. Go figure, huh?

So you throw away the bad game he has, So also throw away the stats agaisnt the high school teams we play and your left with UCLA and Wisconsin games

Taylor at UCLA goes 17-31 for 158 and an int, rips off one 92 YD td.

Taylor vs wisconsin 17-29 for 181 and 2 TDS, runs 107 YDs for 2 TDs

Tayler at OSU 15-25 for 214 1TD 3 INT, runs 40YDs for 2 TD

58% throwing agaist teams with a pulse, Which is still respectable, but notice his interceptions are in both of our losses, I have never said the defense isn't part of the problem, but Taylor needs to show some consistancy.

This conversation baffles me, I have to be honest.

Our defense allowed the second most yards ever yielded by Nebraska in our first loss.

We gave up 63 points to OSU. 63! That loss is on the defense. Period.

Before anyone even mentions that Taylor had 3 picks, yes, fully acknowledged. But even in the worst game that Martinez has had all year, we still managed to gain 223 yards on the ground and 214 yards passing, with three touchdowns. The ardent anti-Taylor guys immediately went with that pick six and said his play cost us the game. That's not even remotely close to accurate. We were within 5 after we drove straight down the field to start the second half. The offense did their part...against a fairly salty OSU defense, btw. They've done their job all year long.

Talking about ways to fix the offense is like trying to figure out how to make your problem free dishwasher more efficient while your basement is flooding. Makes...no....sense.

After reading this entire thread, I feel a lot dumber than I normally give myself credit for.

Taylor provide 3 TD's 400 yards of offense and he is the reason the defense gave up 63 points.

We lose this kid, now or next year we lose more than we have this year and it will be uglier.

Armstrong was playing against high school kids, Taylor against Division 1 athletes. Maybe a little difference.

He is the best QB we have, will be one of the best in Nebraska history and in NCAA history. Currently in the top 14 in NCAA total yardage passing and rushing. MY qawd what do you expect from this kid!!!!

This is the first year he has ran the same offense.

He does not play on defense, if he did we might be doing better!

Put the friggen blame where it belongs for once haters.

Knapplic I could not agree more.