B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

I would be shocked if Nebraska didn't vote against Texas. Doesn't it have to be unanimous to let a school in?

If they do get invited, it will be WITH OUT their network.

I thought Wisky and scUM voted against Nebraska?

Barry Alvarez was one of the main people who pushed for us to be in the Big Ten so I doubt that they voted against us.

I would be shocked if Nebraska didn't vote against Texas. Doesn't it have to be unanimous to let a school in?

Barry Alvarez was one of the main people who pushed for us to be in the Big Ten so I doubt that they voted against us.

hmm.... good point.

Must be thinking of something else regarding Wisky and scUM.

Anyway I would imagine it's set up similar to the SEC. I thought they only needed 9 votes. dont know for sure.

hmm.... good point.

Anyway I would imagine it's set up similar to the SEC. I thought they only needed 9 votes. dont know for sure.

The B1G unanimously voted for Nebraska to be in the conference.

Wisky & Michigan voted to drop Nebraska from their AAU membership after Nebraska had already been accepted into the B1G.

• Fire 1

hmm.... good point.

The B1G unanimously voted for Nebraska to be in the conference.

Wisky & Michigan voted to drop Nebraska from their AAU membership after Nebraska had already been accepted into the B1G.

THAT'S what it was. Thank You! I knew it was something like that.

That was the AAU vote, IIRC. Bah, saw Nexus beat me to it. My bad.

And Texass isn't the one that will want out of the Bevo TV contract--ESPN does and will.

But one way to do this has already been broached when Texass was flirting with the then Pac-10: repurpose the network. The same could be done with Bevo TV, and you could have a BTN West and BTN East, with ESPN owning a minority share of one, and Fox the other. Considering Fox and ESPN are working hand-in-hand with the Pac-12 TV deal and the local networks, this isn't that far of a stretch.

What's interesting is what will happen if Texass doesn't jump ship and have Bevo TV repurposed--ESPN is realizing they can't get this network on a substantial carrier, and it's not getting anywhere close to the distribution they thought it would. I would say it has a year, maybe two, before ESPN pulls the plug or repurposes it themselves into ESPN 8: The Ocho.

• Fire 1

Not really up to date on all this conference votiong, but would N get a vote? I thought they had to wait to be full members before they could vote on anything BIG.

We are a full member--we just have our payout cut to pay money towards the BTN, IIRC. Every conference member gets a full share, minus what they have to contribute to the BTN. Once we're fully vested as 1/12th partner in BTN, then no more pay cut.

Since the other 11 kicked in when the BTN was formed, they have no restrictions.

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon so all this shifting ends and I hope the B1G adds good brand names (FSU, UNC, Texas, ND, Kansas) and not just focus on cable subscribers like it did with Maryland and Rutgers.

I agree with the post above in that the B1G missed out with Missouri.

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon so all this shifting ends and I hope the B1G adds good brand names (FSU, UNC, Texas, ND, Kansas) and not just focus on cable subscribers like it did with Maryland and Rutgers.

I grant that it's not sexy, but there has to be some Maryland and Rutgers acquisitions for any conference to succeed. Hell, it's why Texas A&M will soon be the king of Texas football--the SEC knows they needed those bodies in DFW, Houston, and San Antonio to tune in. Frankly, the SEC is probably going to make a few non-sexy moves of its own, but I'm sure ESPN will spin them as something better than the second coming of Christ...

I grant that it's not sexy, but there has to be some Maryland and Rutgers acquisitions for any conference to succeed. Hell, it's why Texas A&M will soon be the king of Texas football--the SEC knows they needed those bodies in DFW, Houston, and San Antonio to tune in. Frankly, the SEC is probably going to make a few non-sexy moves of its own, but I'm sure ESPN will spin them as something better than the second coming of Christ...

This might be something that gets UT to move.

Not necessarily to the Big Ten but Delany should make a good pitch.

A&M is probably in the top 5 "IT" schools right now. I wouldn't put UT in the top 10.

Out of that list I hope these two happen. Not sure if they will but I can dream. Being a UNC basketball fan I would love to be able to watch the Tar Heels in Lincoln. I also think if they got UNC and KU to join that game could become a nice rivalry game. Not quite the game that Duke vs UNC is but KU fans can't stand Roy Williams and it would be a nice matchup every year but this year.

Woody--I'm hearing Texass is really pushing hard for a B1G invite for some reason now (wonder if it has to do with your ND tidbit?). Have you heard that?

FWIW I've been following the massive conference re-alignment thread on Shaggybevo (which by the way is a great aggregator for info) and there hasn't been a peep in that direction.

Most Longhorn fans seem against the move if for no other reason than the distances involved (which is completely understandable).

Neither South Carolina (back in the dark ages of the previous big shift in re-alignment) nor Missouri were sexy. To honest Maryland has far more upside than Missouri.

Looking at the big picture:

B1G additions: PSU, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers

SEC additions: Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, South Carolina

I'll take the first group every time.