B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Looking at the big picture:

B1G additions: PSU, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers

SEC additions: Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, South Carolina

I'll take the first group every time.

I would too just because Nebraska is in there, but replace Nebraska with any other team and I'd take the second.

I would too just because Nebraska is in there, but replace Nebraska with any other team and I'd take the second.

Any objective reasons?

PSU > A&M in every measurable sense

Maryland & Missouri are a wash (with Maryland being in a better location)

South Carolina was a bigger FB dog when they joined the SEC than Rutgers is now.

That leaves Arkansas who was essentially Nebraska lite....a second tier/regional power in a minimally populated state.

Finding 'any other team' that matches or exceeds Arkansas wouldn't be too difficult.

Most Longhorn fans seem against the move if for no other reason than the distances involved (which is completely understandable).

Let's be honest, though--ShaggyBevo is just regurgitating excrement that Chip Brown spews, speckled with info from the West Virginia bloggers that broke their movement to the Big XII. Save for the WV addition, they did the same thing during the 2009 imbroglio (well, imbroglio for them at any rate...), and they were off-base then.

Most Longhorn fans seem against the move if for no other reason than the distances involved (which is completely understandable).

Let's be honest, though--ShaggyBevo is just regurgitating excrement that Chip Brown spews, speckled with info from the West Virginia bloggers that broke their movement to the Big XII. Save for the WV addition, they did the same thing during the 2009 imbroglio (well, imbroglio for them at any rate...), and they were off-base then.

You should see the denial that most UNC fans are in.

It is quite entertaining. "Popcorn eating GIF" entertaining :P

• Fire 1

Something that I haven't really read in this thread yet - we're all talking about what the Big Ten and the SEC will do to the ACC, with some Big East/C-USA implications involved as well, but where does the Pac-12 sit in all this? surely they're not going to stand pat with 12 when the others are going to 16 and beyond, are they? would they be content to poach decent schools from the Mountain West, like Boise St., snag an independent like BYU, or would they look to the Big XII? just wanted to know if you guys in the know have heard anything. Thanks!

Something that I haven't really read in this thread yet - we're all talking about what the Big Ten and the SEC will do to the ACC, with some Big East/C-USA implications involved as well, but where does the Pac-12 sit in all this? surely they're not going to stand pat with 12 when the others are going to 16 and beyond, are they? would they be content to poach decent schools from the Mountain West, like Boise St., snag an independent like BYU, or would they look to the Big XII? just wanted to know if you guys in the know have heard anything. Thanks!

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the Pac-12 situation. Maybe someone can help us out?

I'm quite sure that a conference with Berkeley will be very much against adding a school like BYU. If any place it would be Big XII.

Boise State is interesting because they are a Pac-12 member in Wrestling. They would probably be last resort.

You should the denial that most UNC fans are in.

It is quite entertaining. "Popcorn eating GIF" entertaining :P

Definitely. You go to UNC's Scout site, it's entertaining to read. They won't believe a word of it, and believe everything regarding realignment only comes from the mouths of the WVU tweeters/bloggers. GTech's site is interesting too, though they're a lot more matter of fact ("not going to believe it til it happens") type of attitude.

As for Boise, even though it would be yet again another conference move, I have to believe a PAC invite will be the last move they make. Academics might be an issue there, though. Boise isn't that far (less than 50 years) removed from becoming a 4-year institution. Not judging them regarding that, but certainly would make it more difficult to accept from the PAC schools. Would certainly be a good FB addition.

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the Pac-12 situation. Maybe someone can help us out?

I'm quite sure that a conference with Berkeley will be very much against adding a school like BYU. If any place it would be Big XII.

Boise State is interesting because they are a Pac-12 member in Wrestling. They would probably be last resort.

Per my understanding, they still would consider going to 16 with parts of the Big XII (Texass, OU/Okie Lite combo) and decent schools not in their current footprint (read: Nevada). Scott, while amicable with Texass, wasn't exactly happy with what went down and how it happened, and he may be gunshy about going after Texass again. Boise State is on their radar, but just barely, and frankly, they would probably need to show sustained success and growth for them to be considered.

And you're correct about BYU. The California schools are steadfastly opposed to BYU...which is why Utah got the nod over them. And the Pac-12 wouldn't dilute the earnings by bringing in a school in the same state as Utah with (limited) national appeal. And yes, BYU brings in decent numbers via their religion, but they have a hard time bringing in anyone else.

As for the conferences, I could honestly see the Big XII being scattered to the wind before the ACC. Whatever the Pac-12, SEC, and B1G don't pick up will be assimilated by the remnants of the ACC or the Mountain West, the latter of which is possibly flirting with a seat at the big boy table.

I could also see a Big XII marching on with schools like Houston, Tulsa, Colorado State, New Mexico, etc. and becoming Conference USA v2.0.

Per my understanding, they still would consider going to 16 with parts of the Big XII (Texass, OU/Okie Lite combo) and decent schools not in their current footprint (read: Nevada). Scott, while amicable with Texass, wasn't exactly happy with what went down and how it happened, and he may be gunshy about going after Texass again. Boise State is on their radar, but just barely, and frankly, they would probably need to show sustained success and growth for them to be considered.

And you're correct about BYU. The California schools are steadfastly opposed to BYU...which is why Utah got the nod over them. And the Pac-12 wouldn't dilute the earnings by bringing in a school in the same state as Utah with (limited) national appeal. And yes, BYU brings in decent numbers via their religion, but they have a hard time bringing in anyone else.

As for the conferences, I could honestly see the Big XII being scattered to the wind before the ACC. Whatever the Pac-12, SEC, and B1G don't pick up will be assimilated by the remnants of the ACC or the Mountain West, the latter of which is possibly flirting with a seat at the big boy table.

I could also see a Big XII marching on with schools like Houston, Tulsa, Colorado State, New Mexico, etc. and becoming Conference USA v2.0.

This is why I don't feel particularly good about Texas joining a conference.

SWC: UT,A&M,BU,TTU,TCU,UH,RU,SMU and Arkansas

Big XII could be: UT, OU, Okie lite, TTU,BU, TCU, UH, UNM, WVU, ISU, KSU, KU(if Kansas comes to the Big Ten then they could add SMU or something)

Texas and Oklahoma could still make money in a crappy conference like this and keep their control.

I know TV money is different now but they should still be able to make a lot.

Whatever happens I hope it happens soon so all this shifting ends and I hope the B1G adds good brand names (FSU, UNC, Texas, ND, Kansas) and not just focus on cable subscribers like it did with Maryland and Rutgers.

I agree with the post above in that the B1G missed out with Missouri.

I say eff it, B1G should expand to 24. Duke, UNC, UVA, Florida State, GT, Notre Dame, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Miami.

You're right WoodyHayes, and it would make sense for Texass to stay put, shut the f**k up, and count their ill-gotten oil and blood money. But men steer the S. S. Bevo, and the man in charge has an ego that makes Jerry Jones look grounded and centered...but no legacy to justify it.

I mean, what sane, rational, competent actor would force out the second most popular and fourth most popular programs in your conference and cede over half of your media markets (Denver, KC, St. Louis, Houston) to rival conferences, just so you can sit pretty and be a big fish in an increasingly shrinking and inconsequential pond?

If anything, that's why I appreciate Delaney--sure I don't agree with him on everything, but for f**k's sake, we're getting a fair deal in the B1G, we have someone that cares about the health and stability of the whole conference, and while Delaney does have an ego about him, it's kept in check.

All Nebraska fans ask for is a fair shot. We never received one in the Big XII, and won in spite of that--imagine what we can do with a conference that, more or less, plays fair.

So when are the next moves, 30, 60, 90 days? I guess it all hinges on sorting out the ACC $50 MM penalty thingy. I thought for sure Delaney had something up his sleve for right after the BCS CG to steal some thunder from the SEC.

I hope it happens soon as big stories keep me occupied at work commenting on articles, discussion boards, etc.

Any objective reasons?

PSU > A&M in every measurable sense

Maryland & Missouri are a wash (with Maryland being in a better location)

South Carolina was a bigger FB dog when they joined the SEC than Rutgers is now.

That leaves Arkansas who was essentially Nebraska lite....a second tier/regional power in a minimally populated state.

Finding 'any other team' that matches or exceeds Arkansas wouldn't be too difficult.

South Carolina and A&M are two of the hotter schools in the nation right now. One has a player that just made waves in CFB and won the Heisman as a freshman. The other has the best D-Lineman since Suh, one of the most well-known head coaches in CFB, and a solid team all the way around.

I realize that I put a lot of stock in football alone, but you have to believe that most of the people in the country look at it the same way. Football is sexy. Other sports are not. If basketball were sexy, Duke would be one of the hot ticket schools for conference expansion. Right now, they're not. When people suggest the B1G adding Duke, it's met with a "meh..." kind of reaction.

And with Penn State's recent controversy, and the fact that before Petrino got fired, Arkansas was getting preseason mention as NC contenders, that pretty much tells the tale. SEC additions at this point are superior to B1G additions. Of course, that's somewhat of a closed-minded thought process, and I can definitely see how you could say that Nebraska and Penn State make the B1G additions superior. But at this point, I don't think a majority of college football fans would agree with that.