B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Actually the Big Ten pays out the most per University. The Pac-12 is second with the SEC third in payouts.

I'm pretty sure knap was being facetious.

Oops, I think you might be right. :D

Facetious or not, Knap may be (unintentionally?) right when the new SEC network drops. If the agreement is akin to the Fox/B1G agreement for the BTN, the SEC gets to keep a percentage of overall ad revenue instead of a flat payment from the network. That could easily push them to being first or second in a hurry...

...until the B1G television deal is signed, at any rate.

A North Carolina judge on Monday turned down Maryland's motion to dismiss the ACC's lawsuit. Maryland's attorney argued that because the university is state-funded, it has sovereign immunity that protects it from lawsuits like the ACC's. The ACC argues that sovereign immunity doesn't exist in contractual claims like the one Maryland made with the ACC, which is based in Greensboro, N.C. Superior Court Judge John O. Craig III agrees.

The Baltimore Sun reports that Maryland has 30 days to appeal Monday's ruling.

Maryland is coming to the Big Ten whether or not it has to pay the exit fee. The increased revenue the school will earn as a Big Ten member will eventually make up for the short-term loss.

But the outcome of the case could influence whether others make the jump or stay put.

http://espn.go.com/b...maryland-upheld

I thought the UMd case was filed in a Md court. Maybe it is a separate case. I remembering reading the court filing thinking UMd had a legit case - of course I am no lawyer and obviously it was written from the UMd side.

I have not been paying attention to the different suits, but I am guessing that there are two different suits. The one in N.C. was filed by the ACC and Maryland most likely filed one in MD, since Maryland claimed that NC had no jurisdiction over them anyhow and they want home court advantage (pun intended). Maryland could have just counter sued the ACC in NC, however, had they done that they would have waived that jurisdiction claim because they submitted themselves to NC jurisdiction by filing a lawsuit there. Maryland will now most likely need to bring its suit into this one or it may lose its ability to bring the suit in the future and the case will get removed to a federal court.

I am a lawyer, but not a trial attorney/litigator. This is going off of procedure memory, so it could be incorrect.

:lol:

The Big East Conference confirmed Saturday that ESPN has matched a media rights deal offer, keeping the network as the league's primary rights holder.

The deal is for seven years and worth $130 million through the 2019-20 school year, league sources said. The Big East's new deal is worth less per school than its current ESPN deal and six times less than what ESPN presented two years ago.

<snip>

In the past two years since the Big East turned down ESPN's $1.17 billion offer, the league has had 16 schools either leave or announce they were leaving.

ESPN Article

How does the Big East Commissioner still have a job? He makes Gary Bettman look intelligent.

I have not been paying attention to the different suits, but I am guessing that there are two different suits. The one in N.C. was filed by the ACC and Maryland most likely filed one in MD, since Maryland claimed that NC had no jurisdiction over them anyhow and they want home court advantage (pun intended). Maryland could have just counter sued the ACC in NC, however, had they done that they would have waived that jurisdiction claim because they submitted themselves to NC jurisdiction by filing a lawsuit there. Maryland will now most likely need to bring its suit into this one or it may lose its ability to bring the suit in the future and the case will get removed to a federal court.

I am a lawyer, but not a trial attorney/litigator. This is going off of procedure memory, so it could be incorrect.

This is why they had the Prof in The Paper Chase teach Civil Procedure, no one knows wtf it means.

To be honest I think the SEC 'network' will essentially be a branded ESPN channel. No doubt it will be profitable but I don't see it as being a conference owned entity in the same way the BTN or (especially the) P12N are.

It doesn't make sense to do the network, then, because the non-football SEC sports already own ESPN-U, more or less.

Then again, this is ESPN we're talking about, and they are still paying Bevo for their crap network...

One thing that I've heard from a source I trust a lot is that Kansas and wait for it........Mizzou aren't out of consideration.

They don't want to take Duke. They will if they have to but they would much rather have a big, public, flagship University.

Let’s add Virginia, North Carolina, Kansas, and Mizzou and call it a day…….

B1G West

1. Nebraska

2. Iowa

3. Wisconsin

4. Minnesota

5. Kansas

6. Missouri

7. Illinois

8. Northwestern

9. Purdue

B1G East

1. Indiana

2. Michigan

3. Michigan State

4. Ohio State

5. Penn State

6. Rutgers

7. Maryland

8. Virginia

9. North Carolina

I like your teams, but how about this for divisions:

B1G West

Nebraska

Kansas

Missouri

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

B1G Central

Michigan

Michigan State

Northwestern

Illinois

Purdue

Indiana

B1G East

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

Maryland

Virginia

North Carolina

Five Divisional Games, and two each from the other two divisions.

The Conference Playoff would be the three division winners plus a wildcard. Three huge games in December $$$ and essentially the B1G would own part of the playoff system.

It doesn't make sense to do the network, then, because the non-football SEC sports already own ESPN-U, more or less.

Then again, this is ESPN we're talking about, and they are still paying Bevo for their crap network...

It's always been my understanding that part of the reason behind (what was at the time) the huge media deal with the SEC was to help prevent them from starting a rival network. If ESPN is going to make concessions to the SEC to help them get a network up & running then what is in it for ESPN? The only explanation that seems reasonable to me is that ESPN would only do so if they're getting something in return and the only thing I see that they could realistically get out of the deal would be to keep the SEC network under their own umbrella. An SEC branded channel should theoretically do very well in the south east US & there is profit to be made there, certainly more than with the LHN. I just don't see ESPN letting it slip entirely out of their grasp.

It's really not that big of a leap IMO. BTN is 51% owned by Fox whereas the P12N is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Pac12. The SECN being an ESPN property with perhaps a small ownership stake by the SEC entails lower risk while leveraging the existing ESPN infrastructure in place provides faster startup & profitability sooner. Just a slightly different path to the same destination.

I like your teams, but how about this for divisions:

B1G West

Nebraska

Kansas

Missouri

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

B1G Central

Michigan

Michigan State

Northwestern

Illinois

Purdue

Indiana

B1G East

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

Maryland

Virginia

North Carolina

Five Divisional Games, and two each from the other two divisions.

The Conference Playoff would be the three division winners plus a wildcard. Three huge games in December $$$ and essentially the B1G would own part of the playoff system.

1. Conference semi-finals or other additional games would require a change in the NCAA bylaws.

2. In effect pushing Ohio State out of the B1G into the mini-ACC/East isn't going to fly.

I don't think NCAA bylaws are going to be particularly relevant when the Big Ten,SEC, Pac-12 and secret conference #4(probably Big XII) leave the NCAA.

probably going to have 3 levels of Championships in Division I.

1. FCS Champion

2. FBS leftovers Champion

3. Big Ten/SEC/Pac 12/4th conference Champion

Personally I don't think there's a cabal of schools foolish enough to risk the political fall out of splitting away from the NCAA.... or give up NCAA BB tournament money.