2nd Debate Discussion

http://www.washingto...k-libya-attack/

It's just the Washington Post so maybe it's not a reliable source. See link for complete timeline

But Obama resists saying the ‘t’ word…

OBAMA: “What we’ve seen over the last week, week and a half, is something that actually we've seen in the past, where there is an offensive video or cartoon directed at the prophet Muhammad. And this is obviously something that then is used as an excuse by some to carry out inexcusable violent acts directed at Westerners or Americans.

“And my number-one priority is always to keep our diplomats safe and to keep our embassies safe. And so when the initial events happened in Cairo and all across the region, we worked with Secretary Clinton to redouble our security and to send a message to the leaders of these countries, essentially saying, although we had nothing to do with the video, we find it offensive, it's not representative of America's views, how we treat each other with respect when it comes to their religious beliefs, but we will not tolerate violence.”

QUESTION: “We have reports that the White House said today that the attacks in Libya were a terrorist attack. Do you have information indicating that it was Iran, or al-Qaeda was behind organizing the protests?”

OBAMA: “Well, we're still doing an investigation, and there are going to be different circumstances in different countries. And so I don’t want to speak to something until we have all the information. What we do know is that the natural protests that arose because of the outrage over the video were used as an excuse by extremists to see if they can also directly harm U.S. interests.”

— President Obama, Univision Town Hall, Sept. 20

Things that I notice:

This is referencing the Middle East protests as a group and not just Benghazi. (In fact, Cairo is referenced.)

Obama specifically says "embassies" in the quote. The Benghazi attack was on a consulate, not an embassy.

Obama had already referred to Benghazi as an act of terror.

And finally . . . what is the complaint exactly? That Obama hasn't said terror enough? What?

Things I noticed- acts of terror- vague discriptor. Act of terrorism or acts by terrorists-not so vague.

Why would a reporter, on the 20th of September ask: "“We have reports that the White House said today that the attacks in Libya were a terrorist attack. Do you have information indicating that it was Iran, or al-Qaeda was behind organizing the protests?” Shouldn't this question have been asked by someone on the 12th, immediately after the Rose Garden briefing? Show me a record of any news agency that questioned what terrorist group conducted the Libya attacks prior to the 20th.

Well, he asked a question somewhere in there about what Obama can do to earn his vote again in '12.

I guess he wants big government to step in and regulate prices. So he better vote Romney if Obama doesn't step up :P

a. full disclosure; i love being 'that guy'.

b. i knew what you meant.

- The promises Obama kept. A young man asked Obama what he did to earn his vote in 2012. Obama responded with a stirring recitation of the many promises he kept:

Well, we’ve gone through a tough four years. There’s no doubt about it. But four years ago, I told the American people and I told you I would cut taxes for middle class families. And I did. I told you I’d cut taxes for small businesses, and I have.

I said that I’d end the war in Iraq, and I did. I said we’d refocus attention on those who actually attacked us on 9/11, and we have gone after Al Qaeda’s leadership like never before and Osama bin Laden is dead.

I said that we would put in place health care reform to make sure that insurance companies can’t jerk you around and if you don’t have health insurance, that you’d have a chance to get affordable insurance, and I have.

I committed that I would rein in the excesses of Wall Street, and we passed the toughest Wall Street reforms since the 1930s. We’ve created five million jobs, and gone from 800 jobs a month being lost, and we are making progress. We saved an auto industry that was on the brink of collapse.

Now, does that mean you’re not struggling? Absolutely not. A lot of us are. And that’s why the plan that I’ve put forward for manufacturing and education, and reducing our deficit in a sensible way, using the savings from ending wars, to rebuild America and putting people back to work. Making sure that we are controlling our own energy, but not only the energy of today, but also the energy of the future. All of those things will make a difference, so the point is the commitments I’ve made, I’ve kept.

http://www.washingto...l-debate-contd/

Interesting.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/fact-checking-the-second-presidential-debate/2012/10/17/d6d3a7b4-17a3-11e2-a55c-39408fbe6a4b_blog.html

“I said I would cut taxes for middle- class families, and that’s what I’ve done, by $3,600.”

— Obama

Obama makes it sound like this is one big tax cut, every year.

The $3,600 figure is actually over four years — $800 in each of 2009 and 2010 due to the Making Work Pay tax credit and $1,000 in each of 2011 and 2012 due to a Social Security payroll tax cut.

But the Making Work Pay tax credit has expired, and Obama has not promised to extend the payroll tax cut, meaning that people’s taxes will go up next year.

I'm still looking for an answer to who killed the Ambassador. Who were they, what were their motives, who claimed responsibility... all that stuff.

Isn't it kinda weird that someone would take out a US Ambassador - something that hasn't been done in 33 years - and not claim responsibility for it? Isn't killing a high-ranking US official kind of a big deal?

Why isn't any terrorist organization pounding their chest over this?

But the Making Work Pay tax credit has expired, and Obama has not promised to extend the payroll tax cut, meaning that people’s taxes will go up next year.

Ah, yes. Nothing can happen unless and until Obama promises to do it.

Next you'll be joining the throngs awaiting his lowering of the sea levels. ;)

Things I noticed- acts of terror- vague discriptor. Act of terrorism or acts by terrorists-not so vague.

How would the definitions differ?

Why would a reporter, on the 20th of September ask: "“We have reports that the White House said today that the attacks in Libya were a terrorist attack. Do you have information indicating that it was Iran, or al-Qaeda was behind organizing the protests?” Shouldn't this question have been asked by someone on the 12th, immediately after the Rose Garden briefing? Show me a record of any news agency that questioned what terrorist group conducted the Libya attacks prior to the 20th.

Regarding the bold: I have no idea. You'd have to check with the various news agencies. What are you arguing?

Obama makes it sound like this is one big tax cut, every year.

He does? Didn't sound like that to me. Weird.

I think I get it now:

1. You can add whole phrases to things that Obama said if they will make him look bad.

2. Obama didn't actually say that thing that he said if that would mean that Mitt Romney is wrong.

How would the definitions differ?

Regarding the bold: I have no idea. You'd have to check with the various news agencies. What are you arguing?

The use of "we have reports today that the white house,..." The word today implies that this is the first time the White House called the attacks terrorist attacks. How is it possible that if the President said these acts were the result of terrorists on the 12th, news agencies only began to ask information regarding what terrorist groups are involved on the 20th? Wouldn't that be a logical question to ask immediately after the September 12th briefing? The word terrorism is broad, but I believe the questions reporters asked on the 20th demonstrate that the general public was not aware that these were premediated acts, planned and executed by Al-Qaeda- a known terrorist group