What Did We Learn???

]

It would make sense if it was Simien. We wouldn't want to hurt him and leave only Kolter as QB. Remember what happened last year? Maybe we learned something.

Not sure if your serious with that statement

I'm not sure either. I can seriously say I was glad they didn't do a 90/10 split with Kolter/Siemian at QB.

Agree completely. Northwestern had a horrible game plan. Had they played Kolter at QB for the majority, if not all of the snaps, this game ends differently IMO.

Before the game I wanted them to use Kolter at QB exclusively to see how our defense performed against a mobile quarterback and give us a clue what to expect against Michigan. Given that it was such a close game and we could get the W I'm glad they didn't. I think the defense played well which makes me optimistic for Michigan. The TD off of a read option concerns me though. I still don't understand why Compton wouldn't just always tackle the RB on that play. Anyone who has watched NW play knows the Venric Mark is quick and dangerous. It looked like we had a DB or another LB that could have tackled the quarterback had he pulled the ball. I hope it was just a case of Compton not doing what he was supposed to do and trying to do too much.

On the Mark TD, they ran the play early in the game and it was completely stuffed. Then on that play they changed how they blocked the play. Smith went with QB, Compton went with pitchman, and Santos was supposed to cover Mark. Santos gets blocked, and Stafford doesn't get far enough over to at least slow down if not make the tackle on Mark.

There's an article in one of today's papers that has a break down of the play and what exactly the team did wrong.

On the Mark TD, they ran the play early in the game and it was completely stuffed. Then on that play they changed how they blocked the play. Smith went with QB, Compton went with pitchman, and Santos was supposed to cover Mark. Santos gets blocked, and Stafford doesn't get far enough over to at least slow down if not make the tackle on Mark.

There's an article in one of today's papers that has a break down of the play and what exactly the team did wrong.

+1

Santos can't get cut there, plain and simple. Compton did his job.

6. Beck went to the designed QB draw 7-8 times and it netted maybe 20 yards total, yet we didn't one run quick pass or screen the entire game. I would love an in depth reason as to why he decided to do this.

That play is probably one of the best ways we have for Taylor to pick up yards on the ground. As to the screen passes everyone keeps clamoring for, I'd point to the short swing pass to the RB in the flat that Taylor threw under no pressure to a guy that was wide open and maybe three yards away. Way over his head.

Perhaps we can draw up some WR screens for Jamal to the edges, that might be more fruitful, but running a screen play isn't as simple as deciding to. It's a package that needs installing and work, and our offense has been paired down and simplified for years out of necessity. You can't expect a simplified offense to also be diverse and good at running any old thing.

Like the roll-outs. Taylor completed one of these late in the game when he was on fire, but there were two other occasions where he might pretty damn scary throws on the run. If we're going to use the rollout pass more, I'm worried, because it seems to be a low percentage play with Taylor.

6. Beck went to the designed QB draw 7-8 times and it netted maybe 20 yards total, yet we didn't one run quick pass or screen the entire game. I would love an in depth reason as to why he decided to do this.

That play is probably one of the best ways we have for Taylor to pick up yards on the ground. As to the screen passes everyone keeps clamoring for, I'd point to the short swing pass to the RB in the flat that Taylor threw under no pressure to a guy that was wide open and maybe three yards away. Way over his head.

Perhaps we can draw up some WR screens for Jamal to the edges, that might be more fruitful, but running a screen play isn't as simple as deciding to. It's a package that needs installing and work, and our offense has been paired down and simplified for years out of necessity. You can't expect a simplified offense to also be diverse and good at running any old thing.

Like the roll-outs. Taylor completed one of these late in the game when he was on fire, but there were two other occasions where he might pretty damn scary throws on the run. If we're going to use the rollout pass more, I'm worried, because it seems to be a low percentage play with Taylor.

I know we ran it a bit last year, but have we ran any WR middle screens this year?

We learned that even with a top ten offense, people will still bitch about play calling.

Agreed but it also seems like Beck has a play sheet with x amount of plays. When we run a certain play he puts a check by it to note that he called it! Then it's like he isn't allowed to run that play again even if it was one that worked!

A top ten offense that was nowhere to be found on 3rd down is not an effective top 10 offense.

1. Still making dumbheaded mistakes and miscues: muffed punt returns, dumb personal foul call.

2. The secondary is skilled but they have hands of stone.

3. T-Mart can take control of a game. Be great if he would take over leadership role, esp. if Rex is out.

4. Defense showed more patience.

5. Special teams need work. Seemed like there was no punt rush whatsoever - how does that affect the psyche of a punt returner?

6. The kids have a lot of heart.

7. Stop the offensive tricky play calling (end around?), stick with what works (hint, hint - Abdullah...not in the middle, swing him out), and Imani...well, is he going to play more?

8. Bo is still pinching himself.