Totally dumb question.....

Northwestern had 300 yards even, and 80 of those came on the run where we broke down.

I suppose you are right though: we didn't bend, but we broke four times.

We broke 3 times. It's hard to count the first score when the D is put in the position they were put. But they bent far on that last drive. NW should never even have had the chance to kick that FG. So again, when it was time to step up and make the big stop, the defense failed. And then were saved by the accuracy of the opposing kicker. Like I've said before, how in the world does the accuracy of the opposing kicker change the fact that he never should have had the chance to make the kick in the first place? It makes no sense.

Northwestern had 300 yards even, and 80 of those came on the run where we broke down.

We broke 3 times. It's hard to count the first score when the D is put in the position they were put. But they bent far on that last drive. NW should never even have had the chance to kick that FG. So again, when it was time to step up and make the big stop, the defense failed. And then were saved by the accuracy of the opposing kicker. Like I've said before, how in the world does the accuracy of the opposing kicker change the fact that he never should have had the chance to make the kick in the first place? It makes no sense.

Did the defense fail? The kicker hadn't hit from further than 44 yards, so that was a long shot. The reason he went for a 53yd FG is because Fitzgerald didn't think he could get 7 yards on our defense. Up to that point, of course they're going to march down the field when they're in prevent defense.

You don't get that we were clearly the more talented team, but got outcoached?

You don't get that we should've won that game by 3 or 4 touchdowns?

You don't get that we are one of the most undisciplined college football teams in the country?

You don't get that our coaching staff is inadequate?

You don't get that we are lucky as Hell to win a game we had no business winning?

You don't get our program is worth way more than what we saw today?

You don't get that this coach continues to fail each season when it comes to winning something of substance?

What more do you need to get?

You don't get the fact that your life depends on the lives of 18-22 year olds and that other than one play on defense and two special teams fumbles this game wasn't that close. Keep on hatin

You're right I'm the only Husker fan that really cares, and 1 point game isn't close? You're right a .5 point game would've been better. Enjoy your delusion that our program is just fine.

Enjoy your delusion that you have any idea what you're talking about.

Did the defense fail? The kicker hadn't hit from further than 44 yards, so that was a long shot. The reason he went for a 53yd FG is because Fitzgerald didn't think he could get 7 yards on our defense. Up to that point, of course they're going to march down the field when they're in prevent defense.

The kicker was 11 for 11 up to that point. He hadn't missed all year. And he clearly had the leg to kick a 53 yarder. In what world does a coach go for it on 4th and 7 down by 1 with a minute left in the game when you have a kicker who has the leg to kick the FG and hasn't missed all year? Trying to argue the fact that NW didn't go for it on 4th and 7 in that situation is some sort of vindication of the defense is a complete stretch.

The kicker was 11 for 11 up to that point. He hadn't missed all year. And he clearly had the leg to kick a 53 yarder. In what world does a coach go for it on 4th and 7 down by 1 with a minute left in the game when you have a kicker who has the leg to kick the FG and hasn't missed all year? Trying to argue the fact that NW didn't go for it on 4th and 7 in that situation is some sort of vindication of the defense is a complete stretch.

couple things..

a) just because you're 11 for 11, doesn't mean you're a lock to hit from 53 if you're longest is 44...

b) you, yourself, was apparently upset that they were giving up yards on the final drive that lead up to the aforementioned failed FG attempt, so getting 7 yards was completely plausible...

c) the only "stretch" is the fact that no vindication is needed. yes they messed up, but they held them off long enough to win

You don't get that we are one of the most undisciplined college football teams in the country?

You don't get that we are lucky as Hell to win a game we had no business winning?

You don't get that this coach continues to fail each season when it comes to winning something of substance?

You don't get the fact that your life depends on the lives of 18-22 year olds and that other than one play on defense and two special teams fumbles this game wasn't that close. Keep on hatin

You're right I'm the only Husker fan that really cares, and 1 point game isn't close? You're right a .5 point game would've been better. Enjoy your delusion that our program is just fine.

Enjoy your delusion that you have any idea what you're talking about.

Everything I've said is true, you can either accept it and continue to sit on your hands and wait, or desire for better. This program can go much higher, I'm tired of settling for less.

How can you say we were outcoached when Pat Fitzgerald basically had 300 free yards of offense (that is, Kain Colter) playing wide receiver most of the game?

couple things..

a) just because you're 11 for 11, doesn't mean you're a lock to hit from 53 if you're longest is 44...

b) you, yourself, was apparently upset that they were giving up yards on the final drive that lead up to the aforementioned failed FG attempt, so getting 7 yards was completely plausible...

c) the only "stretch" is the fact that no vindication is needed. yes they messed up, but they held them off long enough to win

Good lord, are you some strawman master craftsman or something, cause you're great at creating a strawman. No one said it kicking the 53 yarder was a lock. Nor did anyone say getting 7 yards wasn't plausible. But if ANY coach in that situation with a kicker they believe in kicks the field goal. it's very likely that if it was 4th and 2, they go for it. But you have to look at the situation. 4th and 7 despite the 40 yards you just gained in the past minute is a worse bet than the 53 yarder if you know your kicker has the leg to do it.

Yeah, I don't think we got outcoached at all. We had some pretty bad mistakes. We're good at shooting ourselves in the foot and starting cold. That's a trend. But if we show this kind of resiliency...well, what's more important?

Last drive, NW got 39 yards on 7 plays. Not bad, not horrible show from the D. I'm more concerned that they had three legitimate, long TD drives on us.

Yeah, I don't think we got outcoached at all. We had some pretty bad mistakes. We're good at shooting ourselves in the foot and starting cold. That's a trend. But if we show this kind of resiliency...well, what's more important?

Last drive, NW got 39 yards on 7 plays. Not bad, not horrible show from the D. I'm more concerned that they had three legitimate, long TD drives on us.

Part of coaching is not taking penalties and protecting the ball. In that respect, we were clearly outcoached.

Aside from the 39 yds on 7 plays, it was the missed opportunities to put the game away that really stung. The D actually did better than what you're saying because really there were only two long TD drives. The first TD came after the fumble and then there was the 80 yd run. The thing that has me concerned is the inability of the D to come up with the big play when they need it. Good defenses can do that. Ours just hasn't been able to.

I only recall two drives that Northwestern had on us.

Their longest drive lasted 3:52 min and was an 11 play touchdown that started on their own 48.

The other was a 2:38 min, 8 play drive that started on their own 50.

I thought overall our D played great. I think we would have held them to 17 pts if we didn't have our turnovers.