Defensive Scheme for Michigan

Branno

I'm pretty much just wondering if we're going to see the same defensive scheme used against Northwestern in the game against Michigan.

We know that Shoelace doesn't have the best passing game, so do we just play Man coverage with contain? Try to blitz more often and get pressure?

Our scheme hardly changed against Northwestern. They had a horrible game plan and hardly played Kolter at QB..He was never given the chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Siemian has O.K. mobility, but he is more of the drop back passer that our defense can usually stop. We will have to change our scheme completely to stop Dennard. Bring pressure from every direction or spy virtually every play.

We had plenty of scheme changes for NW. They were mainly assignment and personnel based rather than "we have to blitz more" to have a scheme change.

Kolter played in a similar style to how they always use him. They put him in a 'random' spot and let him beat his man. We just had someone that could contain him and made them find other ways to beat us.

Our scheme hardly changed against Northwestern. They had a horrible game plan and hardly played Kolter at QB..He was never given the chance to get into any kind of rhythm. Siemian has O.K. mobility, but he is more of the drop back passer that our defense can usually stop. We will have to change our scheme completely to stop Dennard. Bring pressure from every direction or spy virtually every play.

They tried Colter at QB plenty in the 1st quarter. It wasnt working. Biggest mistake by NW is that they didnt stick with it. Oh well. But it's not that they never used him there.

They tried Colter at QB plenty in the 1st quarter. It wasnt working. Biggest mistake by NW is that they didnt stick with it. Oh well. But it's not that they never used him there.

He is their best playmaker. Give him the ball every play. One big play from Colter and Nebraska's defense and coaching staff are reeling (see OSU). Thats what worries me about Dennard, it's not if but when he makes that big play.

He is their best playmaker. Give him the ball every play. One big play from Colter and Nebraska's defense and coaching staff are reeling (see OSU). Thats what worries me about Dennard, it's not if but when he makes that big play.

I agree with you. It's why I'm kinda of surprised they didnt, unless Fitz and the gang saw something x/o detail wize that told them it wasnt gonna work-which would be encouraging to know.

Not sure where our scheme hardly changed. We played players more that we didn't before, and we pressed their WR's to prevent the run, and shut them down. Sure, we still ran a nickle defense, but the scheme and pressure was different. Something we did not do in our previous games. I would expect us to do the same thing for Michigan. Robinson doesn't have an arm, and I see us taking advantage of it, and if he does go through the air, I see our DB's taking advantage of that as well.

This game is going to come down to turnovers, whoever converts the most and has the least, will win. Great thing, Michigan is known for turnovers as well.

Good point. So which player wants to volunteer after the first play to injure Shoelace so we don't have to deal with him the rest of the game? :sarcasm

Good point. So which player wants to volunteer after the first play to injure Shoelace so we don't have to deal with him the rest of the game? :sarcasm

Walker Ashburn....

Not sure where our scheme hardly changed. We played players more that we didn't before, and we pressed their WR's to prevent the run, and shut them down. Sure, we still ran a nickle defense, but the scheme and pressure was different. Something we did not do in our previous games. I would expect us to do the same thing for Michigan. Robinson doesn't have an arm, and I see us taking advantage of it, and if he does go through the air, I see our DB's taking advantage of that as well. This game is going to come down to turnovers, whoever converts the most and has the least, will win. Great thing, Michigan is known for turnovers as well.

DRob has very good arm strength, his issue is throwing off his back foot and that hampers his accuracy.

Not sure where our scheme hardly changed. We played players more that we didn't before, and we pressed their WR's to prevent the run, and shut them down. Sure, we still ran a nickle defense, but the scheme and pressure was different. Something we did not do in our previous games. I would expect us to do the same thing for Michigan. Robinson doesn't have an arm, and I see us taking advantage of it, and if he does go through the air, I see our DB's taking advantage of that as well. This game is going to come down to turnovers, whoever converts the most and has the least, will win. Great thing, Michigan is known for turnovers as well.

DRob has very good arm strength, his issue is throwing off his back foot and that hampers his accuracy.

His arm strength has never stood out to me.... The Huskers aren't concerned with his arm, they're worried about what he can do with his legs....