Martinez the TRUE leader on the field

I simply have NEVER seen this impact from Taylor. I am one believe that Rex was the leader on the field last year. Your RB should never be your offensive leader. EVER. Your QB makes or breaks a game in my opinion. Taylor is the reason for our comeback... I was one to got wrapped up that Rex was still that leader, but knapp was correct in another thread... Taylor is the leader on the field, not anyone else.

“We’re going to have to roll with it as far as a confidence builder,” Sirles said. “I think Taylor’s got confidence. I think the offense has confidence, and we feel like we can do this. When we put things together, we are a pretty good offense, so that’s something that we are going to have to roll with and carry through the rest of the season.”

http://www.dailynebr...1a4bcf6878.html

• Fire 1

I agree. This was Taylor Martinez' signature win over a 6-2 Northwestern team this season. He was turnover free throwing 37 times without an interception, scored two touchdowns in the closing minutes, and got payback from the Wildcats over a sour loss from the season before. Kudos to Martinez.

His passing ability is what is really shining in my opinion. He finally just stuck those throws right into places where they needed to be placed.

I've compared him to Steve Young before, but his passing ability needs to match the BYU and San Fran legend a little more -- and it's starting to come around. Now, I don't know if he'll completely become that good and play on Sundays some day soon, but it sure helps to keep the Big Red Train rolling! He displayed leadership, and tons of it!

• Fire 1

It's really pretty weird how similar this year's game against Northwestern was to last years. Both tight games where Taylor took everything upon his shoulders in the closing minutes to will this team towards a win. The only difference, other than the final score, is this time the defense held up their end of the deal and the receivers made some stellar catches to help Martinez out.

My question is, were we trying not to show too much on offense? Is that possibly why the offense looked stagnant at times? Fact is, when we had to move the ball, we did. We did it with ease. The bread and butter I've noticed since the kick off of the season seems to be Taylor finding the opening in the middle of the field. When the recievers can find a hole between the safeties Taylor is lazering that ball in there. Especially the throws between 15 and 25 yards Taylor is money. I know Michigan has the best rated pass defense in the Big Ten, but with the receiving corps we got and the way Taylor has been throwing, I'm kind of pumped to see how we do against them. Maybe we surprise them with the exact same things we saw in the fourth quarter last Saturday.

I didn't think the offense was all that vanilla, we ran the triple zone read option again like we did against Michigan. We unveiled a QB power run, where Ameer and two pulling linemen were lead blockers on the outside (we called it 14/15 dart in high school, but it was just a back side tackle pulling). Had that been to field side it would have been a TD or huge run. We even ran old school option and threw the ball around a ton!

Overall really solid play calling, and baring penalties and turnover we would have had a 600+ yard blow out.

I have said since the first game he played he was the leader of this team. Then injuries, and in honesty terribly painful injuries and he played through them. All that have had those injuries and those on the team that saw what he went through, know just how tough, how hard he tried and the pain he went through. He has given everything of himself since he stepped on the field, and I know the team knows that.

Great kid, will end up being the best Nebraska has had in the record books. If he had the 90's line and defense around him he would bury every single record we have had. I have met him, and totally respect his quiet approach. Not vocal, but shows on the field. Yea he has screw ups, but it has never been from the lack of trying.

Glad he is finally getting some respect from some on this board. He has always deserved it.

• Fire 2

My question is, were we trying not to show too much on offense? Is that possibly why the offense looked stagnant at times? Fact is, when we had to move the ball, we did. We did it with ease. The bread and butter I've noticed since the kick off of the season seems to be Taylor finding the opening in the middle of the field. When the recievers can find a hole between the safeties Taylor is lazering that ball in there. Especially the throws between 15 and 25 yards Taylor is money. I know Michigan has the best rated pass defense in the Big Ten, but with the receiving corps we got and the way Taylor has been throwing, I'm kind of pumped to see how we do against them. Maybe we surprise them with the exact same things we saw in the fourth quarter last Saturday.

I sure hope that is the case because yes, it was awfully stagnant for most of the game. I guess in this day and age of football, you want to keep some things under wraps and if you can squeak out a road win against a decent opponent without digging past the 1st page of the book, so be it. I personally dont believe in that. I've always been the "it's not what you do, it's how you do it" type. Show the whole book. The more you show, the less future defenses can depend on tendancies and such. As long as you E X E C U T E, it should work regardless.

Kid is a baller and tough as nails. Ran with authority against Ohio St and continued this against NW. Need to have more designed runs for him vs option or zone read IMO.

He by far has the heart of a stallion. What other kid can overcome the criticism, from fans and the media, play on an injury for a season and a half, and still WANT to improve and become a better teammate and player? Not many kids have that kind of will and drive. He may not be the perfect QB, but as long as EVERYONE on the O is working together, I believe we could score on the best of the defenses out there. I am not insinuating we would beat the best, but our offense is one of the best in the Nation. Hell, we are tied for 2nd in yards per carry, only .1 yard away from 1st. As long as we execute, and I know many of you hate that word, we will continue to progress offensively, and great thing, it will carry to next season, as most of them will be here.

Back to the quote, I completely we should be allowing him to get loose on a zone read or even an option here and there. I personally believe he is better running the zone read than running the option. I think we are waiting for that moment where we will allow him to break lose more. Don't give the opponent much film maybe and less prepared for him?

I sure hope that is the case because yes, it was awfully stagnant for most of the game. I guess in this day and age of football, you want to keep some things under wraps and if you can squeak out a road win against a decent opponent without digging past the 1st page of the book, so be it. I personally dont believe in that. I've always been the "it's not what you do, it's how you do it" type. Show the whole book. The more you show, the less future defenses can depend on tendancies and such. As long as you E X E C U T E, it should work regardless.

I don't get where you guys are seeing this stagnant offense, they almost had 600 yards and we lost what 3 possessions because of turnovers? Two before the offense even saw the field. Not to mention we saw two plays that we hadn't seen all year.

I didn't think we were so much stagnant, but we were turnover happy, one being offense, two being special teams.

1st half we had 223 yards in total offense, with 3 turnovers. TOP: 13m 57s

2nd half we had 310 yards in total offense, 0 turnovers. TOP: 18m 28s

If we didn't have those 3 turnovers, we would have had almost the same outlook as we did the second half. On average, I believe TOP per drive is around 2min 20 sec. We lost out on two full drives, and half way through one when Reed fumbled.

Kid is a baller and tough as nails. Ran with authority against Ohio St and continued this against NW. Need to have more designed runs for him vs option or zone read IMO.

Yup- I've been saying this for a month. The problem is I think Tmart has been instructed to not run as a first option maybe due to potential injury and the lack of backup. When he does break one, he appears to run tenitive like either he is afraid of getting hurt or afraid that he did the wrong thing by the coaching staff. We need to have him do what he does well. But he is the absolute heart of the team.

I think you are right, I think he has been told not to run if possible and to avoid all contact. He looks nothing like he did his first 5 games. At times though I think you see the old Taylor just say screw it and go for it. He has a very tough job, he knows that there isn't any real back up and the whole team and program and state depend on everything he does. That is lot on a 20 year old kid.