Mitt Romney oursources his campaign hat order to China

So.... we're OK with taking stuff from blogs and various non-official sources on the Benghazi attack, but hats - that's off limits?

Good to know.

So does this mean we are to expect you to post complete derp whenever it serves your purpose? I can start making sh#t up too if that is now the standard. I don't see where this type of approach will accomplish anything meaningful except wasting time.

• Fire 1

So.... we're OK with taking stuff from blogs and various non-official sources on the Benghazi attack, but hats - that's off limits?

Good to know.

So does this mean we are to expect you to post complete derp whenever it serves your purpose? I can start making sh#t up too if that is now the standard. I don't see where this type of approach will accomplish anything meaningful except wasting time.

Just establishing parameters. So when we see accusations about the attack in Benghazi, by the standards you're setting here, I expect linked sources of impeccable repute. That's fair, based on your complaint here, right?

I think it is fair to expect people to back up their assertions with information from credible sources. I don't think sources of "impeccable refute" is realistic. I kind of thought part of our purpose in posting and commenting was to determine if the sources are in fact impeccable.

Also, there is a fairly significant difference between stating as fact that hats are made in China when more credible sources refute that allegation and someone simply posting their own opinion. You can see the difference can't you?

• Fire 1

Knapplc's claim, "Mitt Romney outsources his campaign hat order to China"

...is certainly NOT supported by that image, unless he can prove that the hat was ordered by Mitt Romney's campaign, and not one of the 100's of opportunistic capitalists that run around our country risking their own capital in an attempt to turn a profit.

----

"Outsourcing" is a shallow term used by some to condemn "free trade" decisions that stems from a flawed viewed of "protectionism" and its relation to saving/creating American jobs.

At the heart of this flawed view, it a general lack of understanding of the most basic economic 101 concepts, "specialization" and "opportunity cost".

Personally, I actually do try to make nationalistic decisions when I'm buying crap. I'll got out of my way more often than not to buy "Made in the USA" over "Made in China".

I do believe the (forget economic term) theory about how each $1 spent locally, effectively supports the local economy by more than $1 because profit gained from that $1 you spent, is in turn spent again on something locally, and the cycle repeats.

While spending locally is ideal if prices are similar, "outsourcing" $1 doesn't mean the entire dollar if moved overseas. Just like the $1 spent locally, will be re-spent(word?) again ..so will $1 that are "outsourced", with a certain percentage of that $1 making it's way back to your local economy, albeit in a much smaller amount.

...enter "specialization", and all the math equations to figure out, based on import/export levels what % more should an individual pay for local goods as opposed to foreign made goods if to maximize the benefit for both consumer and the local economy. Not to mention the "opportunity cost" of paying my for one item that's "Made in the USA" and having less to spend on other items.

Bottom-line, the idea that :

"Buy Union/Made in USA" = Always Good

"Made in China" = Always Bad

... is not always true if your goal is to make nationalistic economic choices.