Watching the Michigan State game again

I've found it actually very useful to watch these games again to better understand the team and what happens... I'm sure that's obvious to many, but, I was surprised how much different things seem during a rewatch, rather than during the heat of the moment.

First, listening to the ESPN crew, they gave a decent amount of respect to Nebraska and Taylor in the pregame setup, which was nice.

More updates to come as I see them.

(I still don't understand what the PI calls are about, but, I think that's being covered in another thread)

Feel free to share any insights you gained from re-watching the MSU game

1st holding call on Michigan St. was hard to see, but i think it was a questionable call

1st holding call on Nebraska (Cole Pensick) didn't see the replay, so i cant comment on that

1st Pass Interference call on Baptiste was legit. Can't hook his arm like that when the ball is in the air (However recovered nicely knocking the ball away from Burbridge in the endzone, that was excellent technique to turn around and find the ball) I don't know is Baptiste thought he had help behind him when Bell ran that wheel route, but Baptiste should have been in a better position. I realize it was zone coverage, but he saw Bell running back there.

2nd Pass Interference call on Evans, they were pretty close together, but i couldn't see a penalty there. Wish i saw a closer replay.

High Hit on Taylor Martinez was the right call. It was more facemask to facemask, but you could see Martinez's helmet snap back from that hit.

Saw the late hit from MSU #37 on Sean Fisher on that big Bell run, uncalled for.

I finally saw the big TD to Lippet. My guess is that Mitchell was his assignment and got beat. Baptiste came in and had perfect opportunity to shut that play down, he even turned around and found the ball, but he overpursued, gave the receiver a perfect way to catch the ball. He had the angle to step in front of the receiver and deny that catch! Instead he ran behind him and tried to catch the ball. Very bad technique.

Saw the late hit from Stafford, terrible call, notice both line judges weren't even looking, they had their head turned towards Maxwell. Bad call, even the commentators agreed, then said it was a costly penalty against Nebraska. d******d, it wasn't a penalty!

Blatchford's Pass Interference call is questionable, you can't really see it, but the ball was overthrown, he wasn't going to catch it regardless.

just watched the end , from what i could see, that last PI against dennard was horrid....but we had some really bad calls (late hit was pure BS)go against us so i guess it evened out...

From what i saw, Dennard hooked Bell originally and they never separated until they both went for the ball and it looked like Bell had hooked under Dennard. So, can you hook under the receiver before the ball is thrown into air? I have never been clear on that rule. Truthfully, it looked like the same kind of hook that Baptiste got called for in the 1sr Quarter.

Do ppl rewatch the bad games too?

Sometimes games can be brutally second guessed on decisions from replay, but the thing that still trumps my thought process is less than .20 to go. I felt it was so amazing we got that 4th down conversion that with no TO left, you take it and set up the kick to tie. Avoid the bad snap, the sack, the intentional grounding, the whatever misfortune that gets every huskers saying "why??!!!!"instead of safe kick........and damn if it didn't go our way. So I'm still in high heaven despite that :)

High Hit on Taylor Martinez was the right call. It was more facemask to facemask, but you could see Martinez's helmet snap back from that hit.

Saw the late hit from Stafford, terrible call, notice both line judges weren't even looking, they had their head turned towards Maxwell. Bad call, even the commentators agreed, then said it was a costly penalty against Nebraska. d******d, it wasn't a penalty!

regardless.

Yeah.

The replay on that tmagic hit to the head looks scary, brain damage - like. I'm glad he's alright.

The MSU quarterback, I think in the late 3rd or 4th, took a huge shot to the head because he was scramling on a 3rd down play. It was a designed run actually, and he got taken down to his knees then smashed by someone else. He was wobbling all the way to the sideline - I wonder if that affected, or spooked him - the rest of the game.

Kenny Bell took out 3-4 players on one of Martinez' long runs, it was great - like Sandler in the Waterboy.

If there was one less turnoverby the offense, or, there was a few first downs in the 3rd quarter, the game would have probably been over sooner. -4 yards and 8 plays on offense in the 3rd... that's unacceptable. But MSU was playing well then.

At least, compared to the NorthWestern game, I felt like Nebraska 'earned' a win here, rather than simply getting purely lucky and playing absolutely terrible the whole game. On offense and defense, with some exceptions to the turnovers and mostly the 3rd quarter, nebraska played good football a good amount of the time. I'm not congratulating all the huge runs by their running back, but, I think Nebraska actually had an identity, a plan, and executed it more often than failing to do so in this game, which makes me feel good about the coaches.

The MSU quarterback, I think in the late 3rd or 4th, took a huge shot to the head because he was scramling on a 3rd down play. It was a designed run actually, and he got taken down to his knees then smashed by someone else. He was wobbling all the way to the sideline - I wonder if that affected, or spooked him - the rest of the game.

Don't think so. Sideline reporter said they went over their to check on him and he look at them and said "don't worry about me I'm fine."

Tough kid, could be trouble next year.