Finishing Strong - the last three games

knapplc

Agreed, these posts are great, Knapp.

Biggest thing I'd like to see in our three remaining games: No more coming out flat on our first couple of offensive drives, especially the 3 & outs on our first drive. That's almost becoming a signature of ours. Let's *at least* control field position in the first quarter.

If we do that, we should have no trouble beating the Nittany Pussies by two touchdowns.

It will be Nebraska vs Wisconsin/Indiana. I don't see Indiana getting past Wisky, but who knows anymore, especially with Joe Stave being out.

We have the talent to make it to the Rose Bowl, and we have the talent to beat whoever we face in the Rose Bowl, but it comes down to execution. I know many people hate that word, but its true. You don't execute a play, you either commit a turnover, leave points on the field, or you allow your opponent to put points on the scoreboard.

Easiest way to blow through Penn State, is have someone block Michael Mauti. Take out their best tackler, your chances of yards are even greater.

Great write-up knapp. Enjoyed it! :)

This team is on the brink of explosion. We can all feel it. You know their confidence has to be very high right now. Not only from the come from behind wins, but all the bullsh#t (self-inflicted and not) that we have to through to do so. No evidence to suggest it could happen anytime soon, but if it does, look out Big 10, cuz here we come.

• Fire 1

This team is on the brink of explosion. We can all feel it. You know their confidence has to be very high right now. Not only from the come from behind wins, but all the bullsh#t (self-inflicted and not) that we have to through to do so. No evidence to suggest it could happen anytime soon, but if it does, look out Big 10, cuz here we come.

Well... if their confidence is high... there is a problem. They should not have confidence. They should have a chip on their shoulder essentially saying "we have not been anywhere near as good as we should be and we have proven nothing... we have to prove to the world that we are a conference championship caliber team... we have been sloppy and fortunate.. and have shown spirit and no quit... but otherwise we have shown nothing." They have proven nothing and have no reason for confidence. Lets hope they realize that.

They do, however, have every reason to work hard to prove something...

• Fire 2

Well... if their confidence is high... there is a problem. They should not have confidence. They should have a chip on their shoulder essentially saying "we have not been anywhere near as good as we should be and we have proven nothing... we have to prove to the world that we are a conference championship caliber team... we have been sloppy and fortunate.. and have shown spirit and no quit... but otherwise we have shown nothing." They have proven nothing and have no reason for confidence. Lets hope they realize that.

Debbie_Downer.png

• Fire 1

Sorry, but I hope they ARE confident. To each their own I guess. :wacko:

brink of explosion, brink of implosion. one will happen shortly - because surely we can't continue down this same path for the rest of the season....

I do not advocate lack of confidence... but they should not be confident either...

What I mean is this... confidence comes from having a string of impressive victories where you have played well, played intensely, played against good teams who are also playing well... and you keep winning. NU has done none of these things. They should not think they have accomplished virtually anything... because they have not. They have shown grit and toughness... and that is good. But they still have not played a solid complete game against a team that played well all year.

Yet... they find themselves in a position to potentially win a championship in the B1G --- they should be fired up to prove that they are worthy of winning a championship.

An aside... but one that provides context. I live in Pac12 country and the four football fans who have commented to me (knowing I am a Husker fan) all contend that NU would not fare well (actually would have little to chance) against Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford or USC --- were they to play in a bowl game. The point... apart from hardcore Huskers fans like us... NU has not convinced essentially anyone that they are really any good.

So... the team needs to realize that confidence is not the response... anger, a chip on their shoulders and determination to prove that they are a competitive team... that is what they need.

If they think they have proven anything (yet)... they are sadly mistaken.

• Fire 1

An aside... but one that provides context. I live in Pac12 country and the four football fans who have commented to me (knowing I am a Husker fan) all contend that NU would not fare well (actually would have little to chance) against Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford or USC --- were they to play in a bowl game. The point... apart from hardcore Huskers fans like us... NU has not convinced essentially anyone that they are really any good.

agree w/ 3 out of the 4. I like our defense against Barkley on a nuetral field though

I do not advocate lack of confidence... but they should not be confident either...

What I mean is this... confidence comes from having a string of impressive victories where you have played well, played intensely, played against good teams who are also playing well... and you keep winning. NU has done none of these things. They should not think they have accomplished virtually anything... because they have not. They have shown grit and toughness... and that is good. But they still have not played a solid complete game against a team that played well all year.

Yet... they find themselves in a position to potentially win a championship in the B1G --- they should be fired up to prove that they are worthy of winning a championship.

So... the team needs to realize that confidence is not the response... anger, a chip on their shoulders and determination to prove that they are a competitive team... that is what they need.

If they think they have proven anything (yet)... they are sadly mistaken.

Good thing Oregon State, Stanford, and USC have not essentially convinced anyone that they are really any good, either. I would like our chances against any of them, especially with 5 weeks to prepare.

For example, Oregon State AND Stanford will end the year with AT LEAST a loss to an undefeated Top-5 team and a currently 5-4 Washington team. We will probably end with a loss to an undefeated Top-5 team and a currently 7-2 UCLA. We will have also have won our conference, they will finish 2+ losses out of winning their division. They don't scare me.

We are on the verge of a complete performance (MSU last year) against a capable opponent. This is our last chance other than the post season to accomplish that.

I want to see Ameer have a breakout game and I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor bring up those passing numbers that have been slipping lately. Either one would be fine with me.

I can't see us dropping one to Minny or Iowa, but I can definitely see us losing this one and making it harder on ourselves down the stretch. We have been known to do that...

The defense needs to step up and play a big game this week. It would go a long way knowing that the Blackshirts cleaned up what we needed to against a quality opponent before the B1G Championship.

brink of explosion, brink of implosion. one will happen shortly - because surely we can't continue down this same path for the rest of the season....

I know. Because there's no way i could be around to see it.

So, basically, as far as Nebraska is concerned, the most important thing is for Michigan to keep losing. The more they lose, the better. I see no way we drop games to Iowa and Minnesota. Penn State, as stated, is not a gimme, but I like our chances at home. I like our secondary. Hang onto the rock and we win this.

It's a little exhausting saying it every week, but it's hard to peg wins when the team is as careless with the football as it is. This team is not even a shadow of its potential--you're just waiting for the light to flicker fully on, and we're headed for the BCS. It's possible. It's what should happen. But, for whatever reason, I can't convince myself it will happen. Too many mistakes too consistently. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. That sort of thing.