In loss, Penn State earns Nebraska's respect

knapplc

When it was over, Nebraska fans lined both sides of a pathway to applaud the Nittany Lions as they left the field.

Linebacker Michael Mauti said he had a brief but heartfelt conversation after the game with Huskers coach Bo Pelini.

"He was very respectful," Mauti said. "I've got a lot of respect for Coach Pelini. All the players came up to us just saying how proud they were of us and the way we stuck together throughout this season. There was a lot of respect there mutually. They're a class act."

LINK

We can't control the calls the refs make. But we can control our own behavior and reactions. I'm proud to know that Penn State walked out of here with respect for us, if not for the situation.

• Fire 6

1. It's easy to be classy when you win (except of you're Alabama, apparently)

2. I'm sure PSU recognized it wasn't NU's fault that the refs blew that TERRIBLE call.

Where is your proof it was terrible? The review came back, just as it should have, not enough to confirm or overturn. We are also known to be very classy when we lose as well. ASK Northwestern last year.

It was a touchdown. The World Herald got a great pic of it. LINK

Make that a TD, the score is PSU 30, NU 27. There are just under nine minutes to go in the game. I like our chances to win at that point, whether they're ahead or not.

The sky view, shows him only having one hand on the ball. When he went to reach the ball out, one hand (left one) came off the ball, giving the refs not enough evidence to say he had complete control over the ball.

One hand = possession. How many times have you seen a player score while reaching out with the ball in only one hand? I've seen it, oh, a good 200 times (conservative estimate). This was a TD, but when it happened, live, it was bang-bang, and the ruling on the field was a fumble. I can see why they made that call, and I can see why the replay didn't overturn it. I just disagree with it.

There's a stop-frame shot .gif floating around the interwebz from the TV feed showing the ball crossing the plane - albeit at an angle - in possession of the PSU player. That's a TD, period, end of story.

One hand = possession. How many times have you seen a player score while reaching out with the ball in only one hand? I've seen it, oh, a good 200 times (conservative estimate). This was a TD, but when it happened, live, it was bang-bang, and the ruling on the field was a fumble. I can see why they made that call, and I can see why the replay didn't overturn it. I just disagree with it.

There's a stop-frame shot .gif floating around the interwebz from the TV feed showing the ball crossing the plane - albeit at an angle - in possession of the PSU player. That's a TD, period, end of story.

2. I'm sure PSU recognized it wasn't NU's fault that the refs blew that TERRIBLE call.

Where is your proof it was terrible? The review came back, just as it should have, not enough to confirm or overturn. We are also known to be very classy when we lose as well. ASK Northwestern last year.

We are both obviously saying the same thing, but to say it was a terrible call is just laughable. If they would have called it a touchdown, it still wouldn't have been overturned. I understand you can have one hand on the ball, but they didn't have enough evidence to say he had control over it. I never stated it was a fumble, and I never stated it was a touchdown. The call could go either way, that is why it was not overturned.

It was a touchdown. The World Herald got a great pic of it. LINK

Make that a TD, the score is PSU 30, NU 27. There are just under nine minutes to go in the game. I like our chances to win at that point, whether they're ahead or not.

Exactly. It's not like it was enough points anyway. You never can play the "what if" game but we are the Cardiac Cornhuskers afterall and we just find a way

I take it you've never been to Memorial Stadium in Lincoln for a game? Part of the uniqueness of Nebraska football is that the visiting team, WIN or LOSE, will ALWAYS receive a standing ovation from Husker fans as they leave the field at the end of a game. That's been going on since we were in the Big 8.

Bobby Bowden raved about playing in Lincoln. FSU upset us in Lincoln in the mid-80s and he was blown away by Husker fans giving his team props as they left the field. He said that's why NU has a special place in his heart. He loves our fans. He wishes it was like that everywhere else.

The year Texas beat us in Lincoln when Ricky Williams won the Heisman was another matter-of-fact moment. Mack Brown commented that while the team was leaving the field, Husker fans were chanting @ Ricky, "Heisman, Heisman, Heisman".

As HuskerNationNick already pointed out, when Northwestern beat us in Lincoln last year, the President of Northwestern witnessed it firsthand. See video @ 2:20 mark.

We are both obviously saying the same thing, but to say it was a terrible call is just laughable. If they would have called it a touchdown, it still wouldn't have been overturned. I understand you can have one hand on the ball, but they didn't have enough evidence to say he had control over it. I never stated it was a fumble, and I never stated it was a touchdown. The call could go either way, that is why it was not overturned.

I agree that they wouldn't have overturned it if they had originally ruled it a TD. That was one of those plays where the original call was going to stand because breaking the plane and the fumble happened in the same instant. It's rare that replay overturns those calls.