Israel and Hamas

It's a powder keg. I hope it doesn't get too bad and I really hope that we keep our ground forces out of harms way.

agree with that. Iraq, Afgan - I don't think the country is in any mood to send in more troops to the ME. We need to keep our eye on Sryia - that will be the real power keg that will be exploding soon and it could spread back into Iraq, Lebonnon and even southern Turkey

Unsure of the timing of all this. Regardless, after BOTH Romney and Obama stated in the debates their support of Israel, IMO this is a "test" to see the resolve of the United States. Israel, with enemies on all sides, seeing little help in the way of sanctions thwarting Iran's goal to get nukes and now Egypt jumping in I do not see Israel backing down.

What I do see, is the Muslim countries, in that region, forcing the US to acknowledge the line has been drawn in the sand. From our good friends Iraq issuing the statement today to use "oil as a "weapon" against the US, Egypt's PM openly supporting Hamas the US is in a tough situation.

Getting scary in the ME. Nice to see that the PM of Egypt is in route to support Hamas. Didn't we "free" Egypt?

http://www.reuters.c...E8AD0WP20121116

We did? I thought we supported their dictator for decades. Besides they have the right to choose what they want, that's democracy. If they want a backward religious government thats their bed to sleep in. If they want to cozy up to Hamas that's their funeral.

I still don't get why Israel is so important to us, other then a staging point to attack Egypt if the Suez is ever blocked. Other then that it's a whole lot of middle east wrath for no returns. Oh wait Jewish lobby is only second to the pharmaceutical lobby in size, nah, coincidence.

Getting scary in the ME. Nice to see that the PM of Egypt is in route to support Hamas. Didn't we "free" Egypt?

We did? I thought we supported their dictator for decades. Besides they have the right to choose what they want, that's democracy. If they want a backward religious government thats their bed to sleep in. If they want to cozy up to Hamas that's their funeral.

Yeah . . . apparently some think that we should have kept supporting their dictator.

Yeah . . . apparently some think that we should have kept supporting their dictator.

Carl, in a perfect idealistic world, there is no place for dictators. Unfortunately the world is a cruel and evil place. Keeping a dictator in place to protect American interests has happen since the dawn of time. Happens all the time. Do I think it was a mistake to get rid Mubarak, yes. Intel should have been able to tell the Muslim Brotherhood, supporter of Hamas, Hezbollah, Caliph state, Sharia law etc, was going to "win" the democracy. See we get rid of Mubarak (supported it) and now a govt completely unfriendly to the US is in power. One that wants to start Jihad to free Jerusalem from the hands of he Jewish people. Is this better for the US?

Why don't we move into Cuba, China and all the other countries so we can "free" the people living under authoritarian rule? Makes sense right? If you don't think there should be dictaors would you support the US unilaterally moving into these countries. Agrees with your comments that some think we should have kept supporting "their dictator". If it is wrong to support him, it is wrong to support the others, or do business with or provide economic aid. Don't you agree?

Is the US better or worse with Mubarak gone? Worse. Now with them allegedly (for you Carl) firing 2 missiles into Israel, it is shaping up to be a horrific situation in the ME that the US will be drawn into.

Look at Iraq, "oil as a weapon", the terrorist attack on Benghazi, Iran closer to the nuke, Egypt PM visiting and openly supporting Hamas, yea we are pretty much failing in foreign policy. Clinton (bombing factory in Sudan), Bush 1 not finishing Saddam, Bush 2 no real plan, Obama supporting the "peaceful" democracies in the ME. We are now seeing a culmination of failed policies across the board. Threw in the Republicans as well

Sometimes, to quote Sun Tzu, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Just because we assist in you gaining freedom doesn't mean you will be our friend or ally, the US needs to remember this.

A nice article from a man I am proud to call friend and a "brother".

http://thetandd.com/...19bb2963f4.html

It's a powder keg. I hope it doesn't get too bad and I really hope that we keep our ground forces out of harms way.

agree with that. Iraq, Afgan - I don't think the country is in any mood to send in more troops to the ME. We need to keep our eye on Sryia - that will be the real power keg that will be exploding soon and it could spread back into Iraq, Lebonnon and even southern Turkey

When you look at it things are just going to keep blowing up and blowing up and yes it is very scary. I say blowing up in the terms as more fighting and you watch, eventually we'll get involved even though we don't need to. Maybe I should start burying that bunker now?

Carl, in a perfect idealistic world, there is no place for dictators. Unfortunately the world is a cruel and evil place. Keeping a dictator in place to protect American interests has happen since the dawn of time. Happens all the time. Do I think it was a mistake to get rid Mubarak, yes. Intel should have been able to tell the Muslim Brotherhood, supporter of Hamas, Hezbollah, Caliph state, Sharia law etc, was going to "win" the democracy. See we get rid of Mubarak (supported it) and now a govt completely unfriendly to the US is in power. One that wants to start Jihad to free Jerusalem from the hands of he Jewish people. Is this better for the US?

We didn't get rid of Mubarak. The Egyptian people did.

How would you feel if Egypt had actively intervened in the US presidential election this year?

Why don't we move into Cuba, China and all the other countries so we can "free" the people living under authoritarian rule?

No. We didn't move into Egypt to "free" the people living under authoritarian rule. Your repeated statements to that effect show that you're either being intentionally misleading or that you don't know what actually happened.

If you don't think there should be dictaors would you support the US unilaterally moving into these countries.

What? Let me repeat: we didn’t move into Egypt to oust Mubarak. Other countries should choose their own leaders . . . just like we choose our own leaders. I fully expect those countries to choose leaders that further their own interests rather than the interests of the US. Similarly, I vote for politicians that I think are the best choice for the US rather than voting for a politician who is best for another country. How about yourself?

Is the US better or worse with Mubarak gone? Worse.

Correct answer: we’ll see. There is no way to tell at the moment.

Sometimes, to quote Sun Tzu, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Just because we assist in you gaining freedom doesn't mean you will be our friend or ally, the US needs to remember this.

There are other countries in the world besides the US. We’re one country in a world full of other countries. It’s not our place to dictate to other countries just because we can.

• Fire 1