Israel and Hamas

Getting scary in the ME. Nice to see that the PM of Egypt is in route to support Hamas. Didn't we "free" Egypt?

http://www.reuters.c...E8AD0WP20121116

Anxious to see what the US response will be. So far, it has been none.................

doesn't need to be a response...

They've been wanting to euthanize each other for a couple thousand years. Do you really think they'd stop if we intervened?

Getting scary in the ME. Nice to see that the PM of Egypt is in route to support Hamas. Didn't we "free" Egypt?

Anxious to see what the US response will be. So far, it has been none.................

They've been wanting to euthanize each other for a couple thousand years. Do you really think they'd stop if we intervened?

No. Pure hatred for one another.

There is no simple answer to that. And there isn't a single viewpoint, either. Many, many books have been written about it, and the story you get varies depending on who is writing it. People have made entire careers dissecting, discussing, analyzing, and talking about that topic.

I think the short, short version would be the US supported Israel's creation and recognition and so continues to do so. Israel started out as an extension of US interests (politically, morally, etc) in the region. And while the waters have muddied a great deal, since the US also wants to keep at least decent relations with a number of other countries in the region (many of whom aren't too fond of Israel), Israel is still sorta our pet project and a projection of a number of our interests.

Edit - To be a bit more clear, lots of people believe different things - from all powerful lobby groups, Zionist controlled media, economic and political interests in the Middle East (fighting Communism played some role back in the day), etc. While there are a lot of factors, some more important than others depending on the decade you're talking about, the lasting one, imo, is just that the US has historically felt Israel is in the right and that's that.

No. They hate each other no more or less than the current Muslim Brotherhood hates the US. Sad, but true. I think that if we had a more "overt posture" their might be less saber rattling by Egypt and others. We helped to "liberate" Egypt and they support us by supporting Hamas.

Israel has been a viable all but odd ally since their creation in 1947 IIRC. They offer a "pro US" ally in a region rife with dislike towards us.

Unsure of the answer, but leaving them alone to face the rest of the ME would be a mistake IMO. If they go to war, we will quickly follow suit. Remember the most recent debates when both Obama and Romney said they would support Israel if attack. He (Obama) might just get to..................

The previous regime was fairly pro-US as far as those types of things go there. That's one of the outcomes that can happen when you play with regime change - you may not get a new government that fully supports you. And if you make sure you get one that does (aka, puppet regime), well, you don't win popularity contests with many people. It also makes it hard to claim you support a country's freedom to do what it likes with its own government.

The US has not made many friends with its foreign policy in the Middle East over the decades.

I blame the world leaders that created Israel in the late 1940s. Really?? How idiotic can you be by creating a country of people right in the middle of people who hate them. You also create the country by kicking people off their land that already hate the people you are giving the land to?

What they should have done is absorb all Jewish people that needed a safe place to live into the rest of the world as refugees. That would have been a HUGE task. But, look at the thousands of people who have died since Israel was created.

Admittedly, I didn't follow the Israel and middle east conflicts through the presidental campaigns nearly as closely as I did our economy issues. But I do remember the Republicans claiming that President Obama did not visit Israel during his first term. If this is correct, I wonder if with the re-election of President Obama, Israel is thinking they are left out in the cold and began attacking Palestine out of dispair.

I have this impeding sense of doom, like all hell is about to break loose throughout the world

How do you know that? What prompted the airstrike on November 14th?

A better question would be, how do you know (or why do you imply) that it had anything to do with the American president?

A really simple explanation for the 11/14 airstrike would be that they were a response to the 100+ rocket attacks from Gaza into Israel from 11/10 - 11/14.

Since that very simple explanation isn't working, how do we get the U.S. involved here? I'm not seeing the connection.

I am looking to get other's perspectives here and understand I might be wrong. I was solely going off what I remember was being said, maybe during the 2nd debate, about President Obama distancing himself from Israel. I have tried to research the issue and have found many conflicted articles about what President Obama's stance is on Israel. Personally, I am not sure how I feel. I believe the we created Israel to further our own interests, but I really don't want to see troops being sent to yet another region. Yet again, I don't think we should just leave our obligation unprotected.