Hypothetical idea for discussion (independent NU?)

papersun87

With the latest Big Ten expansion has come all sorts of talk about money and demographics and branding and so on. One article I read talked about the money tree that is the Big Ten Network, saying that since BTN makes money per cable subscriber regardless of whether a household even watches, the money will keep flowing in . . . until cable networks let subscribers start picking channels a la carte.

Which got me thinking: if that day comes and NU starts to see dramatically decreased revenue from BTN, why not try scheduling a la carte also? NU has a brand recognized all over the country.

My question for you all is this: what would the logistics of an independent NU look like? Could it be feasible someday? :snacks:

it is too risky. NU has nothing to make it naturally appealing. it does have tradition, but unfortunately that is fleeting. we need the stability of a major conference to remain relevant and competitive. if we go independent, it would take a couple bad seasons and a little loss of interest for our death knell to be struck.

I don't ever see it happening. We already struggle with recruiting, and I think it would kill us even more lol. I think, in order for it to be a successful move for Nebraska, is to win a few more MNC's and more CCG's and start scheduling those difficult games ASAP for preseason. Get in the National spotlight and make people want to come here. Just my opinion :)

I think we pull ties from both what we started in the BIG and what we knew in the old Big 8/12.

Schedule 12 old conference foes every year and be a tweener like PAC-12/BIG Notre Dame

Big 8

1. Kansas

2. Iowa State

3. Colorado

4. Kansas State

5. Mizzouri

6. Oklahoma

7. Oklahoma State

BIG

8. Iowa

9. Wisconsin

10. Minnesota

11. Ohio State

12. Michigan

Then we have big games every year that people want to see on a national level and ties that mean something to our history.

Now if we could get them all to play us is another story.

Independent football will soon be a thing of the past, and yes that includes ND. When the B1G expands there is going to be no reason for B1G teams to play ND nor will there be room on the schedule. ND is going to be in a tough spot when they struggle to fill their schedule with decent teams. Not to mention the all the power large conferences will have over how a champion will be crowned. If anyone thinks the powers within the Pac12/big12/B1G/SEC are going to allow a ND with a patty cake schedule get special treatment as they do now is crazy.

Independent football depends on the current size of Division I. If they ever pare it down - and TV might make that a necessity - then independence will become a thing of the past. Of course, conferences might become a thing of the past as well. It could be a vastly different college football world in 20 years.

I think we pull ties from both what we started in the BIG and what we knew in the old Big 8/12.

Schedule 12 old conference foes every year and be a tweener like PAC-12/BIG Notre Dame

Big 8

1. Kansas

2. Iowa State

3. Colorado

4. Kansas State

5. Mizzouri

6. Oklahoma

7. Oklahoma State

BIG

8. Iowa

9. Wisconsin

10. Minnesota

11. Ohio State

12. Michigan

Then we have big games every year that people want to see on a national level and ties that mean something to our history.

what not Penn State....?? the Big Ten told us they were our new rival!

Big 8

1. Kansas

2. Iowa State

3. Colorado

4. Kansas State

5. Mizzouri

6. Oklahoma

7. Oklahoma State

BIG

8. Iowa

9. Wisconsin

10. Minnesota

11. Ohio State

12. Michigan

I think I read we get 26 million from the big 10, plus we have a built in advocacy group. How would we make up that 26 million? No network is going to give us the ND treatment, we just do not have the big of a draw outside of a small Nebraska population. 26 million seems like a lot, maybe I am wrong

I am just saying that it works on a practical level. I don't think Nebraska would even consider it nor should they. If we do get paid the insane amount they are talking about then why leave. I was just showing that it wouldn't be hard for Nebraska to come up with a schedule that kept historical games together while still playing good competition year in and year out.