Stein and Jackson out

lo country

Center/QB exchanges are only one part of the job of the center and I agree that there weren't any issues with that last week.

However, little things that fans usually can't see can always be an issue like calling blocking assignments and mobility to get to the edge like Jackson was able to do on pulling blocking assignments.

I hope there are no issues here and our full offense is effective.

Both of these guys being out hurts us. Jackson has arguably been the biggest surprise of the year, and Steinkuhler takes one more DT away from an already injury-riddled group that is already the weakest position group on the entire team.

I have confidence that either Pensick or Pelini will fill in well for Jackson, but not having Steinkuhler almost makes me wish that Valentine was playing this year. It wouldn't be fair to him to pull his redshirt and play him at this point in the season, but that thought did cross my mind at one point.

As said, we will miss Baker. Feel bad he will miss the two biggest games of his Husker career.

Can Pensick/Pelini pull as well as Jackson? I felt like that was a huge key to how well we were running outside.

Not sure overall, but the very first play Pelini was in he got good, hard snap to Taylor, in the gun, an pulled. There seemed to be zero issues on exchanges throughout the day, so I think it could be a non-issue. Like the old addege, if you dont notice him, he's doing his job.

That is good to hear. I was at the game and saw both Baker and Justin walk right past me within ten feet, I knew it wasn't good. I couldn't really analyze from my seats how he was doing. I didn't notice him, so that's good.

I knew it wasnt good in the post game presser when Bo flat out answered they wouldnt be playing saturday. No beating around the bush, no coachspeak "day to day" or "he's fine" bs. Just a plain honest "they wont play".

Think we will burn Vincent Valentine's redshirt if the line play gets bad in the ccg?I'm thinking that a 3-4 might be the best way to go in this scenario.

Not even a chance that would happen. Burn a year's worth of eligibility for 2 games? I doubt we will see a 3-4, but you never know. I have been wrong on more than one or twenty occasions lol. We have players to fill his spot, who will do just fine. Just have to wait and find out who is filling Stein's spot lol.

I agree i just don't see the coaches pulling VV shirt for 2 games. If we see a 3-4 it will be with Martin playing a LB/DL role.

I think losing Jackson will hurt our bread and butter play on offense.

Feel bad for Stein, but I view Meredith as a step up. For some reason, he seems like an entirely different guy when he's at DT. Just don't know if he can hold up for an entire game in that role.

The one thing about playing Wisky and possibly Stanford/ucla, we're gonna find out just how inadequate we are up the middle on D. Maybe we got some guys that step up and relieve some off season stress over the position. Time for the Dline to man up. They hold the key to the next two games.

Feel bad for Stein, but I view Meredith as a step up. For some reason, he seems like an entirely different guy when he's at DT. Just don't know if he can hold up for an entire game in that role.

The one thing about playing Wisky and possibly Stanford/ucla, we're gonna find out just how inadequate we are up the middle on D. Maybe we got some guys that step up and relieve some off season stress over the position. Time for the Dline to man up. They hold the key to the next two games.

If we put Meredith at DT, I think we will see a lot more Joe Carter at DE

The good thing if any, is the injuries were early in the game and allowed the guys to get some PT in a real game. Also the extra day will help Bo and Co figure something out. Imagine had it happened in practice this week? That would have been disastrous.

Back to VV. Would he want to burn his shirt for 2 games if it meant he could be a significant factor in us winning the B1G and subsequent Rose Bowl? If you were VV and you knew you could improve our chances would you step up and burn the shirt for the team? Would you tell Bo you wanted to keep the shirt? I do not think Bo would send him in unless he wanted play and sacrifice the shirt for 2 games and basically only play for 3 more years.

whats the ceiling on joe? I thought he was highly thought of coming here. What happened?

The good thing if any, is the injuries were early in the game and allowed the guys to get some PT in a real game. Also the extra day will help Bo and Co figure something out. Imagine had it happened in practice this week? That would have been disastrous.

Back to VV. Would he want to burn his shirt for 2 games if it meant he could be a significant factor in us winning the B1G and subsequent Rose Bowl? If you were VV and you knew you could improve our chances would you step up and burn the shirt for the team? Would you tell Bo you wanted to keep the shirt? I do not think Bo would send him in unless he wanted play and sacrifice the shirt for 2 games and basically only play for 3 more years.

This had crossed my mind, under two conditions

1-VV had better be 100% supportive of the decision

2-His possible impact has to be obsenely obvious in practice.

He is a force to recon with and causes complete havoc in practice, but I don't see this happening at all. I think Rome and/or Randle will fill in Steinkuhler's spot just fine. If Randle is 100% healthy like I think he is, I could actually see an improvement rather than a drop. Noting against Stein, but Randle will demand that double team as well, same with Rome, giving Ankrah and Martin the freedom to do what they need to do. Burning Valentine's redshirt I hope would not even be in thought with the coaches. I may sound selfish, but I would rather this kid have a whole spring/summer to heal and get better to cause 4 solid years of hell, rather than 2 games, possible re-injure himself, and have 3 years.

He is a force to recon with and causes complete havoc in practice, but I don't see this happening at all. I think Rome and/or Randle will fill in Steinkuhler's spot just fine. If Randle is 100% healthy like I think he is, I could actually see an improvement rather than a drop. Noting against Stein, but Randle will demand that double team as well, same with Rome, giving Ankrah and Martin the freedom to do what they need to do. Burning Valentine's redshirt I hope would not even be in thought with the coaches. I may sound selfish, but I would rather this kid have a whole spring/summer to heal and get better to cause 4 solid years of hell, rather than 2 games, possible re-injure himself, and have 3 years.

i concur. As I said, the benefits of getting him on the field have to be so jawdropping that it outweighs all negatives of burning a redshirt with 2 games left, and quite frankly, I dont see any true freshman being able to have that kind of impact. Other thing is, as a redshirt, majority of his time has been spent on the scout team. I dont think he would be even close to mentally ready for such a task, even if he were to practice all week for it. In other words, I seriously doubt this is even a thought with the coaches.

whats the ceiling on joe? I thought he was highly thought of coming here. What happened?

He thought we had a Z at midfield when he first came here.

Just wanted to mention how interesting it is that the Journal Star had a story pre-Iowa game about Stein (maybe the only Stein profile article they wrote all year), and the only other player with quotes in that article was ... (drum roll please) ... Justin Jackson.