Mission Accomplished, Nebraska is Back, & Solich

TGHusker

There have been a couple of over confident proclamations during the past decade:

GWB: "Mission Accomplished". We know how that turned out

Bo after beating Arizona 33-0 in the Holiday Bowl 4 years ago: "Nebraska is Back"

Well after 4 years of being back, what do we have to show for it:

1.No Championships (Bo said he came here to win championships)

2. Defense not fixed - Bo was hired to fix the D. Thank God for Suh and L. David, Prince and Dennard -

3. Undisciplined: Turnovers, penalties, missed assignments, have been trademarks of Bo's teams the last 3 years. Bo was thought to be a disciplinarian but fair coach when he was hired.

4.No big game prizes: It was expected that we would win our share of big games. We have now lost every big game but one during the past 4 years: 3 conf championship games, our first Big 10 game, the last time we played texas at home, every big national TV game - the only exceptions I can think of is the comeback last year against OSU, our win over OU at NU. Typically, the bigger the exposure the worse the performance. We hired Bo to be a motivator - our team appears to be unprepared for the national stage.

5. Win games: Since the KSU road win we are 8-9 on the road or something similar. We appear to be on our way to another 4 loss season.

6.Restore the Order: We are no closer being in the national championship conversation then what we were when BC was fired. This is Nebraska, when schools like Northern Ill are ranked ahead of NU, there is something wrong, seriously wrong - after 5 years of the Bo reign NU fans deserve a greater return on their financial and emotional investment.

7. Stop embarrassing NU: BC had too many embarrassing loses during his year 4 at NU. Bo said that would not happen. In the past few years we've been embarrassed 2x by Wisky, 1x by OSU, 1x by Michigan, 1x by S. Carolina, 1x by S Dak State ( a win but an embarrassing win), Washington in the Holiday Bowl (the score not so much just the loss to a team we blew out earlier). Bo's sideline demeanor while better this year has been an embarrassment (think Texas A&M esp) The media loves to focus on Bo yelling at someone - it has become the face of NU football

8. Competence: We got on BC because his loyalty to an incompetent DC in Cosgrove. It appears Bo has the same blinded loyalty. Cotton and others come to mind. Ron Brown is the only assistant with long term experience. As one journalist said, Bo wasn't hired to teach a graduate course in coaching - shown by his hire of relatively inexperience and lower skilled coaches. Is Bo personally threatened by guys with greater experience? NU deserves better. Perhaps we made a critical mistake: We hired a head coach with NO head coaching experience. NU deserved better 5 years ago - we put ourselves in the position to have a very long learning curve because of it.

Frank Solich was fired for going 9-3 because he lost to KSU 31-10 ( I believe that was the score) and not bringing us closer to the NC game. Does NU need to apologize for firing Frank? We fired Frank for lesser issues than what I note above.

I do not want Frank back as I don't believe he was going to get us into the NC game - NU was above his 'paid grade'. Now I'm wondering if Bo is over his head and is also above his paid grade.

I began to drink some kool-aid turning the 6 game win streak. Yet, in looking back, I can see that just below those comeback wins were the cracks in the foundation that have never been addressed - turnovers, lack of discipline, emotional instability (hot and cold play - reflective of the coach?), lack of team speed on the D. Saturday night proved that while comeback wins are great, they are not a guaranty that the foundation was fixed.

• Fire 3

Frank Solich was fired for going 9-3 because he lost to KSU 31-10 ( I believe that was the score) and not bringing us closer to the NC game. Does NU need to apologize for firing Frank? We fired Frank for lesser issues than what I note above.

No. There were other issues involved. It's not always only about football.

6.Restore the Order: We are no closer being in the national championship conversation then what we were when BC was fired.

This could not be further from the truth.

I'll agree - I over stated that item - Let's say we are not any closer since the day we beat Arizona in the Holiday bow.

Yes, that is true - there were other hidden issue not fully known at the time to fans on the outside.

Yes, that is true - there were other hidden issue not fully known at the time to fans on the outside.

So... if you know that, why even put that in your OP? It's inaccurate, and doesn't make the point you're trying to make. :confucius

So... if you know that, why even put that in your OP? It's inaccurate, and doesn't make the point you're trying to make. :confucius

I forgot about that side until you mentioned it. When I think of Frank, I don't think of his personal issues.

There have been a couple of over confident proclamations during the past decade:

I'll agree - I over stated that item

Maybe you should consider whether or not that's the only thing you've overstated in your attempts to show everyone else's overstatements.

Good catch - I'll gladly eat humble pie after that. I don't mean to knock Bo as a person either. I just think our (my and perhaps most fans) expectations were that we'd be much more advanced in year 5 in our team's performance.