Chatelain hits the nail on the head with three sentences

he is a better recruiter, but you have to be in the sec and he is in the sec (as in, florida is in his backyard). i think bo can be the B1G's equivalent of richt. however, i still contend bo can produce championship defenses, which means that bo can produce championship teams. he just needs to figure out who his players are and get them.

agree w/ you on this - unfortunately the fact that we are saying that going into year 6 is troublesome, considering assuming he figures it out this year it will be year 8 or 9 before they start making an impact.

this is also being said in year 6 because after year 4 we switched conferences which means Bo had to do 2 things. 1) play against teams he had never faced before and figure out their playing styles, and 2) recruit different types of players because of the different playing style of the BIG.

I think the offense is a perfect example of what Bo's teams will be in given time, Bo has an idea of what he wants, so he focuses on that and strives to get that type of team. He wanted a offense that could light it up so he recruited the kind of players he wanted and now we have one. Now that we are in the BIG there is a certain type of defense he wants and he is going out and trying to achieve that.

I honestly think people over look the impact that switching conferences had on the defense, Bo had to recruit for the Big XII and now he is recruiting for the BIG. I would be that if we were still in the Big XII we would have won the damn thing this year, and if not our only loss would have been to k-state.

Our defense is undersized and slow. How would that correlate to winning a conference that is better than the B1G? I thank god daily that we switched conferences because this year would have been suicide for us.

How the hell can you say that? The total direction of Bo's defensive philosphies-from overall recruiting to where the fricken DE lined up-had to be adjusted. Bo had developed a defense in the Big 12 that was distinctive and revolutionary in it's time and, until that point, was the first to even be remotely close to as dominant as it was in that era of sling-it-all-around big 12 football. You can say Callahans' recruits bla bla bla and Suh this and Prince that, but the bottom line is Bo put the guys in position within a system he devised. He had also developed a niche in recruiting for that system. All DB's and and moblie, smaller DLlineman, and few LB's, fully explaining the performance of those respectable posititions. It's not a science or an excuse Hedly, it's common sense. These things all changed when conferences were changes

I'm the first to say that this "3 yards and cloud of dust big10" perception is misleading. There are spread teams in the Big 10, but still, they are balanced. No offense in the Big10 operates like what we saw almost every week in the Big 12. The Big 10 still requires the use of lb's. We pretty much abandoned the linebacker postition in the Big12.

Bo didn't invent or revolutionalize that defense. He grabbed an old scheme and happened to have a roster full of NFL talent on the defense.

We looked like poo against any teams that ran a spread attack too. This is more than changing conferences. Changing conferences doesn't equate to getting BLOWN out

We pretty much abandoned the linebacker postition in the Big12.

Another really great point, accountability! Weird...I hadn't ever really considered it from that angle.

Could explain a lot of the deficiencies many have complained about in Whaley & Fisher, for example.

i remember being terrified of the B1G because our best (perhaps only?) lb, david (who is a beast-freak) was so undersized at the position compared to traditional B1G lb's. i mean, the lb's at psu are from another era.

Bo didn't invent or revolutionalize that defense. He grabbed an old scheme and happened to have a roster full of NFL talent on the defense.

We looked like poo against any teams that ran a spread attack too. This is more than changing conferences. Changing conferences doesn't equate to getting BLOWN out

what? when? against who?

Honestly, this is proof enough for me that you're either trolling this forum for a laugh or you're just clinically cynical to the degree that you can't even reason properly.

Two examples of great spread teams our defense annihilated: OU with Landry Jones at QB & Texas led by Colt McCoy.

Honestly, this is proof enough for me that you're either trolling this forum for a laugh or you're just clinically cynical to the degree that you can't even reason properly.

Two examples of great spread teams our defense annihilated: OU with Landry Jones at QB & Texas led by Colt McCoy.

Exactly. Now he's just saying sh#t, wrong or right, to blindly support his point.

I stated exactly so that there are spread setting teams in the Big 10. Ohio St does a lot. So does Michigan. But the style of play out of that set is so different. Mobile qb's with a lot designed qb run with multiple action. The Big 12 was mostly take the snap and throw 50 quick passes a game, predicated on getting the ball out fast and make someone make a tackle in space. To say we'd get scorched in the Big 12 today if we were still there is blind speculation. By now, we could be a National Title caliber team too, cuz Bo may have both sides of the ball perfected by now.

what? when? against who?

Teams that ran a variation of the spread. Michigan w/ Dennard, Northwestern, tOSU runs several spread formations.

UCLA is a multiple offense but I would not consider it a spread offense and more pro though they do run several spread formations.

what? when? against who?

Teams that ran a variation of the spread. Michigan w/ Dennard, Northwestern, tOSU runs several spread formations.

UCLA is a multiple offense but I would not consider it a spread offense and more pro though they do run several spread formations.

we were referencing the big 12's spread attack.

what? when? against who?

You agreed with my point with this one phrase. The spreads we face now are nothing like what we say in the Big 12. Name on Big 12 quarterback we faced with the fraction of the mobility that Robinson, Culter and Miller have.

None.

Not to mention, the play action and designed qb run game by these three guys takes their offenses to another level.

Bo's Big12 defense were built off film study, route matching, and simply being prepared and able to read tendancies. The Big12 offenses fed off of being able to get the ball out to the receiever quick enough before the defender knew what what happening. Bo's defenses were great because our db's prepped enought to know what route was coming before the play snapped. Then he would throw in wrinkles up front to confuse the qb and oline such as the spinner with Meredith against Missouri 2010.

Edit for the bold- Sorry, I guess we did play RGIII in 2008 :rolleyes:

When will we stop coming up with excuses for Bo? We get blown out because we switched conferences. We get blown out because we don't have the right athletes. We get blown out because Bo is still learning. We get blown out because our Coordinators are still learning. We get blown out because it is hard to recruit here. We get blown out because we had to change our recruiting footprint. We get blown out etc etc etc

Lets stop making excuses. He has been a HC for 5 years now. No more excuses.

what? when? against who?

You agreed with my point with this one phrase. The spreads we face now are nothing like what we say in the Big 12. Name on Big 12 quarterback we faced with the fraction of the mobility that Robinson, Culter and Miller have.

None.

Not to mention, the play action and designed qb run game by these three guys takes their offenses to another level.

Bo's Big12 defense were built off film study, route matching, and simply being prepared and able to read tendancies. The Big12 offenses fed off of being able to get the ball out to the receiever quick enough before the defender knew what what happening. Bo's defenses were great because our db's prepped enought to know what route was coming before the play snapped. Then he would throw in wrinkles up front to confuse the qb and oline such as the spinner with Meredith against Missouri 2010.

Edit for the bold- Sorry, I guess we did play RGIII in 2008 :rolleyes:

I will agree with you on the concepts of the spreads being different. A mobile qb always creates problems. Bo definitely has always struggled for the most part with Mobile QBs. A defensive genius however should never be getting blown out regardless of the teams formations.

When will we stop coming up with excuses for Bo? We get blown out because we switched conferences. We get blown out because we don't have the right athletes. We get blown out because Bo is still learning. We get blown out because our Coordinators are still learning. We get blown out because it is hard to recruit here. We get blown out because we had to change our recruiting footprint. We get blown out etc etc etc

Theyre not excuses. Theyre reasons. There are reasons for everything that happens in life. These are the reasons we are having issues as a football program. You listed them all.

Theyre not excuses. Theyre reasons. There are reasons for everything that happens in life. These are the reasons we are having issues as a football program. You listed them all.

None of which should be excuses for NEBRASKA.

when are we going to start giving bo some credit? he inherited a team in shambles and got us to a conf. champ. 3 out of 4 years and consistently wins 9-10 games. he is doing better in recruiting and the offense is finally clicking and fully stocked.

And full circle we come, right back to the entitled "we deserve better" mindset.