Chatelain hits the nail on the head with three sentences

All championships do is create insatiable expectations. We're still demanding success-and thinking we're somehow entitled to it-of the 90's. We stress over it, get worked up over it, and in the process complete ignore the great things we get to witness. We let 3 bad losses completely overlap 10 wins in what was thee most exciting year of football I have personally witnessed. That's just the way I feel. Before 1994, i dont remember this much stress and anxiety over conference and/or National championships. But maybe I was too young to pay that much attention. Maybe it was also because we were mostly competitive in losses too.

All championships do is create insatiable expectations. We're still demanding success-and thinking we're somehow entitled to it-of the 90's. We stress over it, get worked up over it, and in the process complete ignore the great things we get to witness. We let 3 bad losses completely overlap 10 wins in what was thee most exciting year of football I have personally witnessed. That's just the way I feel. Before 1994, i dont remember this much stress and anxiety over conference and/or National championships. But maybe I was too young to pay that much attention. Maybe it was also because we were mostly competitive in losses too.

the blowout losses are hard to deal with. but i agree with everything you said. we have been to a conf. champ. game 3 out of the last 4 years and '99 is still the last year we won one. i want us to win one so very badly, but i will not let that allow me to lose all perspective of the college football landscape and the accomplishments of our own team.

So we've finally gotten to the point where we've decided championships are overrated. This is how football programs become Minnesota and Pitt.

no one said that, bro. i said the opposite, i desperately want the huskers to win at least a conf. champ. however, there is more to being a fan of a team than just it winning championships. i think we keep the expectations, but stop acting like petulant children when they are not met.

you set expectations just out of reach and then keep working for it. we are getting closer.

• Fire 1

So we've finally gotten to the point where we've decided championships are overrated. This is how football programs become Minnesota and Pitt.

no one said that, bro. i said the opposite, i desperately want the huskers to win at least a conf. champ. however, there is more to being a fan of a team than just it winning championships. i think we keep the expectations, but stop acting like petulant children when they are not met.

you set expectations just out of reach and then keep working for it. we are getting closer.

This. I am as distrought as anyone over the 13 year Conference title drought, but the fact is, you can have a good season without a title. Would you rather be Auburn? Get that crystal ball, and then go completely in the shitter? Alabama won a National title in 1992. Where were they for 15 years before Saban came along?

I was just stating a fact that once one has won a championship, the bar is raised to a point that is simply unattainable. I still believe that for some fans (not all, not most, not many, but some), even and National Championship and undefeated season under Bo would still not be good enough. There would be some facet that wasnt done correctly or perfectly.

Rolling through coaches when they win 9 and 10 games because there is not trophy involved is how you become Minnesota and Pitt.

I just still dont understand this entitled attitude. Does anyone think that maybe this is just where our program is, and could be for a long time? Sure many dont want to settle for that, but I guess I'm one that doesnt want to risk what success we do have in a blind attempt to make it better, because we as a fanbase have this generalized notion that we "deserve better". That elitest thinking is what helped to send this program down the crapper 10 years ago to begin with. I personally believe we are fortunate to have had as good as it has been under Bo. I'm not understanding all the angst I guess because I am comfortable admitting that we probably will never win another National Championship again. The logistics of college football is just not going to allow it for us. I hope I'm wrong just like anyone else. We are hungry for the dominant days again that we forget that that run was the lightning in a bottle not these days of 9-10 wins.

I'm not comfortable admitting we'll never win a National Championship again. Not even a little. There's no universal force out there saying that it can't happen, the right pieces just have to fall together. Obviously that's easier said than done, but it has happened before. It can happen again. If Notre Dame can get as far as they have, so can we.

If this is the kind of season we can come to expect for the next few years (a decent record that overshadows embarrassing losses and a missed opportunity to go to a BCS bowl), I'd much rather see us take a risk to get back to at least a semblance of what we used to be. Yes, we could end up with another Callahan/Cosgrove debacle, but we could also end up hitting a home run. It's a chance worth taking if you ask me.

Some people think that a season without a conference championship can be considered "good enough". Not me.

I just still dont understand this entitled attitude. Does anyone think that maybe this is just where our program is, and could be for a long time? Sure many dont want to settle for that, but I guess I'm one that doesnt want to risk what success we do have in a blind attempt to make it better, because we as a fanbase have this generalized notion that we "deserve better". That elitest thinking is what helped to send this program down the crapper 10 years ago to begin with. I personally believe we are fortunate to have had as good as it has been under Bo. I'm not understanding all the angst I guess because I am comfortable admitting that we probably will never win another National Championship again. The logistics of college football is just not going to allow it for us. I hope I'm wrong just like anyone else. We are hungry for the dominant days again that we forget that that run was the lightning in a bottle not these days of 9-10 wins.

I'm not comfortable admitting we'll never win a National Championship again. Not even a little. There's no universal force out there saying that it can't happen, the right pieces just have to fall together. Obviously that's easier said than done, but it has happened before. It can happen again. If Notre Dame can get as far as they have, so can we.

If this is the kind of season we can come to expect for the next few years (a decent record that overshadows embarrassing losses and a missed opportunity to go to a BCS bowl), I'd much rather see us take a risk to get back to at least a semblance of what we used to be. Yes, we could end up with another Callahan/Cosgrove debacle, but we could also end up hitting a home run. It's a chance worth taking if you ask me.

Some people think that a season without a conference championship can be considered "good enough". Not me.

there is no reason we can not win a national championship. all we are saying is that it is going to be a lot harder the next time we do than the last time we did.

as far as your second paragraph. i am fine with this season if i can believe we can do better. i do not think bo as reached his potential as a coach, nor do i think this team hit its ceiling. no why? this is the best our offense has played under bo and i have seen bo coach championship defenses when he has the right players. no reason he can not put those together. it is just easier said than done.

This. I am as distrought as anyone over the 13 year Conference title drought, but the fact is, you can have a good season without a title. Would you rather be Auburn? Get that crystal ball, and then go completely in the shitter? Alabama won a National title in 1992. Where were they for 15 years before Saban came along?

I was just stating a fact that once one has won a championship, the bar is raised to a point that is simply unattainable. I still believe that for some fans (not all, not most, not many, but some), even and National Championship and undefeated season under Bo would still not be good enough. There would be some facet that wasnt done correctly or perfectly.

Rolling through coaches when they win 9 and 10 games because there is not trophy involved is how you become Minnesota and Pitt.

very well said, and the bold is true. i still hear people on sports radio talk about getting ga. tech's coach or navy because the only want to win if it is with option football. some people rather just try to replicate the glory years rather than create a new era of success.

A number of coaches have been fired in the last ten years or so because they didn't win the "big one" or didn't win enough. My memory isn't going to be good enough to list them. But, Michigan, Tennessee, Illinois, Colorado, probably Pitt, Boston College, Kentucky, and the list could go on and on. My memory isn't good enough to make definite statements about all those but it seems to me that not very many of those joined the elite teams within two or three years of the firing. My observation would be that elite teams are built over TIME. In all our exuberance at Devaney's success, he didn't hit elite status right away. He did make us competitive in most games pretty quickly, but it took some building. Most of the schools we face have populations that are multiples of what we have in Nebraska. It's pretty easy to say, "Patience my ass, I'm going to go out and kill (fire) someone." I'm not in that category.

Recent history totally disproves your observation. Saban literally did turn Bama around over night. Meyer literally did turn Florida around over night. Pete Carroll literally turned USC around over night. Bob Stoops turned OU around over night. Right there are several examples and several NC in the past 12 years. You could probably throw Chizek in there as well, but he bought and paid for both his turn around and NC. Now, he's without a job.

A number of coaches have been fired in the last ten years or so because they didn't win the "big one" or didn't win enough. My memory isn't going to be good enough to list them. But, Michigan, Tennessee, Illinois, Colorado, probably Pitt, Boston College, Kentucky, and the list could go on and on. My memory isn't good enough to make definite statements about all those but it seems to me that not very many of those joined the elite teams within two or three years of the firing. My observation would be that elite teams are built over TIME. In all our exuberance at Devaney's success, he didn't hit elite status right away. He did make us competitive in most games pretty quickly, but it took some building. Most of the schools we face have populations that are multiples of what we have in Nebraska. It's pretty easy to say, "Patience my ass, I'm going to go out and kill (fire) someone." I'm not in that category.

Recent history totally disproves your observation. Saban literally did turn Bama around over night. Meyer literally did turn Florida around over night. Pete Carroll literally turned USC around over night. Bob Stoops turned OU around over night. Right there are several examples and several NC in the past 12 years. You could probably throw Chizek in there as well, but he bought and paid for both his turn around and NC. Now, he's without a job.

but those coaches were not turned into head coaches over night. not to mention, it is easier to win in each of those places. they all surround the epicenter of america's high school football. and usc has certain advantages.

It makes a lot of sense, actually.

Great players graduated, and nobody as great has come up to replace them. The idea that each year we should be improving doesn't reflect the cycles teams go through with reloading and developing talent. It's not like Stafford and A.Green and Ciante Evans and co are making the same mistakes they were making in 2008.

I think Bo has shown what he can do with talent, and there is reason to be concerned about his ability to pull in talent over the long haul. Those are questions that ought to be answered.

All those people who for years said "We're fine" as we pulled in small recruiting classes that missed on top prospects with a staff that didn't keep their foot on the pedal in that area, ... well, here's the result.

94 NU graduated most of the best offensive line in history, and there didn't seem to be a problem in 95. Good teams don't make excuses. Graduating great players every year should be expected at Nebraska. What happens next year when all the senior talent graduates from the defense? More excuses?

It makes a lot of sense, actually.

Great players graduated, and nobody as great has come up to replace them. The idea that each year we should be improving doesn't reflect the cycles teams go through with reloading and developing talent. It's not like Stafford and A.Green and Ciante Evans and co are making the same mistakes they were making in 2008.

I think Bo has shown what he can do with talent, and there is reason to be concerned about his ability to pull in talent over the long haul. Those are questions that ought to be answered.

All those people who for years said "We're fine" as we pulled in small recruiting classes that missed on top prospects with a staff that didn't keep their foot on the pedal in that area, ... well, here's the result.

94 NU graduated most of the best offensive line in history, and there didn't seem to be a problem in 95. Good teams don't make excuses. Graduating great players every year should be expected at Nebraska. What happens next year when all the senior talent graduates from the defense? More excuses?

How long did Tom have to build his program and recruiting?

Give Bo a little more time.

Norman, OK is not the epicenter of America's high school. While it is more than likely easier to recruit to, it doesn't have the benefits of the coastal schools. The main point was that a lot of the NC that have been won recently have been won by teams where the coach is relatively new. This means, those NC weren't exactly results of teams being built over time. Meyer took over a similar situation to what Bo took over in that both followed poor coaches but recruited well. Both came out of the gate rather well. In his second year, Meyer won a NC. In Bo's second year, he had the best year of his HC career to that date and also to now. Bob Stoops is another one that had his best year in year two winning a NC. However, he's won several conference titles and played for NC. Bob Stoops was turned into a head coach over night.

Even this year's NC game features a coach that is fairly new to his team. I highly doubt Notre Dame will win, but Kelly is just in his third year. This really goes against the theory that elite teams are built over time when it's almost the exception rather than the rule for it to happen.

Norman, OK is not the epicenter of America's high school.

what is that state just south of oklahoma?

texas_oklahoma_map.GIF

Even this year's NC game features a coach that is fairly new to his team. I highly doubt Notre Dame will win, but Kelly is just in his third year. This really goes against the theory that elite teams are built over time when it's almost the exception rather than the rule for it to happen.

all of those coaches except one were head coaches prior. and with such a small sample either way, there are no exceptions or rules.