Shatel: Osborne says loss could help NU

Nexus

Wild two days. The suggestion box runneth over with passion and opinion. Calls for a new coach. Staff changes. Some fans say they're stuck with this guy, and this time they aren't talking about the columnist.

Just the normal drama after a 70-31 loss in the Big Ten championship game.

Only one person made the comment that the loss to Wisconsin could end up helping Nebraska next year. Only one “fan” made the connection to the 1996 Fiesta Bowl.

Guess who?

“You know, I thought one play really started the whole thing the other night,” Tom Osborne said. “They got us on a reverse. They got us on a couple misdirection plays. And our guys started to overcompensate to the outside, and then they got us in the middle. They got us a little out of kilter.

“We did the same thing to Florida in 1995. The next year, Steve Spurrier won the national championship. Sometimes a game like that can be instructional. It can end up helping you. But right now, it seems like the sky is falling.”

Of course, that loss to Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl inspired Spurrier to replace his defensive coordinator with a guy named Bob Stoops. That turned out to be a missing piece.

Late Monday afternoon, Osborne said he was “trying to recover.” But he's not recommending any changes to the coaching staff.

Continue Reading

Not to disagree with the GOAT... but this years loss in the CCG would be comparable to Spurriers loss in the 96 fiesta bowl if Florida scored zero points.

Spurrier is not a defensive mastermind, he is an offensive mastermind. Granted, 24 points is not exactly a scoring explosion (some would argue that it is, against our defense that year)... But Bo is supposed to be the solution for 70 point poundings.

You know another parallel that's interesting is big brother stoops. He was brought in by spurrier to fix the D. He did. He went on to OU and in 2000 their D absolutly shut down Florida State in the title game. Now when you look at bob stoops teams they are offensive powerhouses with less defense lately. So I guess every coach has up and down years in their "specialty."

I was just thinking last night about how no one had brought up the 1996 Fiesta Bowl and what happened with Florida. Then I read Dr. Tom bringing it up today...

...the only thing I have a problem with using the Florida/Fiesta Bowl example is that the same thing happened against Ohio State in the regular season, and it wasn't *just* a problem with the gameplan--it was a problem with fundamentals and calming the mental state of these kids when they were over-pursuing and taking bad angles time and time again.

You know another parallel that's interesting is big brother stoops. He was brought in by spurrier to fix the D. He did. He went on to OU and in 2000 their D absolutly shut down Florida State in the title game. Now when you look at bob stoops teams they are offensive powerhouses with less defense lately. So I guess every coach has up and down years in their "specialty."

Lol exactly! The point is that he went on to win a national championship as a head coach (year 2 nonetheless)... regardless of what would happen after. I can't remember ou ever being throttled by the tune of around 70 points under Bob.

Lol exactly! The point is that he went on to win a national championship as a head coach (year 2 nonetheless)... regardless of what would happen after. I can't remember ou ever being throttled by the tune of around 70 points under Bob.

We were not throttle by 70 points. It was 40. And yes, Stoops has had some embarrassing losses too. Bo Pelini and Nebraska are not the only coach/program that has really bad days at the office.

2003 Big 12 championship game Kansas St lost 31-7

2004 USC lost 55-14

2007 West Virginia lost 48-28

2009 Texas Tech lost 41-13

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

No, Stoops has never had one of them days. He's so perfect in every way.

What gets me is when our team does play really well and gets a win, it's because the other team sucks. The double standard here would make folks in D.C. rub their head.

We were not throttle by 70 points. It was 40. And yes, Stoops has had some embarrassing losses too. Bo Pelini and Nebraska are not the only coach/program that has really bad days at the office.

2004 USC lost 55-14

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

What gets me is when our team does play really well and gets a win, it's because the other team sucks. The double standard here would make folks in D.C. rub their head.

you know exactly what i meant sir. we got 70 points put on us... bobby doesn't know what that's like.

He's so perfect in every way? Lets not get emotional... I never hinted at anything of the sort.

2004 USC lost 55-14

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

you know exactly what i meant sir. we got 70 points put on us... bobby doesn't know what that's like.

He's so perfect in every way? Lets not get emotional... I never hinted at anything of the sort.

Stoops had one of those days where his defense gave up something like 700 yards on defense. His DC is also much more experienced than ours.

In todays day and age the offense has every advantage. Less holding calls & more safety rules on tackling a offensive player. If a defender even slides his hand across a face mask it is a penlty. If you look at the reverse a RB can stiff arm a defender in the mask & basically grab it to steer them with out a call. WR pushoffs are heardly called, but if a defender hand fights while the ball is in the air it is 15.

The point is you are going to more & more points put up as the rules change more to protect players(on the offense in my opinion).

• Fire 1

“We did the same thing to Florida in 1995. The next year, Steve Spurrier won the national championship. Sometimes a game like that can be instructional. It can end up helping you. But right now, it seems like the sky is falling.” —Tom Osborne

• Fire 1

2004 USC lost 55-14

2011 Okla St. lost 44-10

First of all, if Wisky had wanted to win by 70, they very easily could have. No question about it.

Second, look at those teams you name and think about the offenses they had in the repsective years that you name. Save for that KSU offense, (which, as we all remember, manhandled the Pelini-led defense badly enough that the ever-classy, then 35 year-old coach had to berate a 60+ year-old man post-game) those were all very legit offenseive teams. UCLA has what, the 30th best scoring offense (on PAC-10+2 defenses, mind you); Wisky was somewhere in the 80s before we so graciously helped them pad their total. Even OSU barely cracks the Top-20.

I'm by no means saying that "Big Game Bob" is perfect, but try comparing apples to apples.

“We did the same thing to Florida in 1995. The next year, Steve Spurrier won the national championship. Sometimes a game like that can be instructional. It can end up helping you. But right now, it seems like the sky is falling.” —Tom Osborne

Well, the first part of the song works, anyway... :) Not so sure the second part is a pick me up...

Well, the first part of the song works, anyway... :) Not so sure the second part is a pick me up...

Oh, but he's just looking at the bright side of life. And the alternative. :dunno

/ actually I was just looking for an excuse to post something Monty Python. lol