9 wins - a good measuring stick?

There's nothing wrong with 9-10 win seasons, as long as there's some conference titles sprinkled in there every now and then. With at least a glimmer of hope of winning a national title some time in the near future.

Those 9-10 win seasons should be considered "down" years. These days, it's apparently the absolute best we can hope for, and apparently something that should be celebrated.

To me, it just seems like a moral victory. We're winning moral championships by bragging about 10 wins, instead of winning actual championships.

/Thread...well said!

No it's mediocre and pathetic

I guess mediocre to means middle. I think that is a 6-6 team. Not a 10-3 team, and if it is that pathetic than you need to probably just root for the team that is undefeated at the time that way you won't be disappointed.

Sorry should have put a :sarcasm I agree with you I'm just trying to save people a bunch of typing lol

There's nothing wrong with 9-10 win seasons, as long as there's some conference titles sprinkled in there every now and then. With at least a glimmer of hope of winning a national title some time in the near future.

Those 9-10 win seasons should be considered "down" years. These days, it's apparently the absolute best we can hope for, and apparently something that should be celebrated.

To me, it just seems like a moral victory. We're winning moral championships by bragging about 10 wins, instead of winning actual championships.

This. With woodshed beatings sprinkled in with those 9-10 wins it loses its barometer as a measuring stick for the success or failure of a program.

Looking at Wisky sitting at 8-5 on the surface looks worse than our 10-3, but when you look at margin of loss in those 5 games you see a team that had calls gone their way could easily be 12-1 or 11-2. They look substantially better than us if look deeper into the W-L column IMO. Then you throw in that they beat us with basically 2 simple plays, a 3rd string QB and a GA as OL coach it really makes it worse.

Then throw in the final season rankings of the above Boise, Bama and Oregon and our 9-10 wins look even less spectacular.

Conference Championships and BCS bowls are a sign of improvement IMO. The first not since 1999 and the second not since 2001............

I guess mediocre to means middle. I think that is a 6-6 team. Not a 10-3 team, and if it is that pathetic than you need to probably just root for the team that is undefeated at the time that way you won't be disappointed.

Sorry should have put a :sarcasm I agree with you I'm just trying to save people a bunch of typing lol

Should have sorry to jump down your throat. Have seen stuff like that on other boards all week.

This. With woodshed beatings sprinkled in with those 9-10 wins it loses its barometer as a measuring stick for the success or failure of a program.

Looking at Wisky sitting at 8-5 on the surface looks worse than our 10-3, but when you look at margin of loss in those 5 games you see a team that had calls gone their way could easily be 12-1 or 11-2. They look substantially better than us if look deeper into the W-L column IMO. Then you throw in that they beat us with basically 2 simple plays, a 3rd string QB and a GA as OL coach it really makes it worse.

Then throw in the final season rankings of the above Boise, Bama and Oregon and our 9-10 wins look even less spectacular.

Conference Championships and BCS bowls are a sign of improvement IMO. The first not since 1999 and the second not since 2001............

On the surface it loooks worse, becuase it is worse 8-5 is not as good as 10-3.

It sucks we lost, I am not happy about it either. You can't play the what if game. We beat them once and they beat us once. We also beat Penn St, and MSU who the lost to. Does that make Nebraska a better football team this year than Wisconsin, I don't know. But we have a better record than they have. We earned that record just as much as they earned there record.

Northwestern was winning all of the games they lost in the 4th quarter, but guess what they lost those games if we look a little deeper are they a better team than their record?

Most people in this country don't look any deeper than the records.

Should have sorry to jump down your throat. Have seen stuff like that on other boards all week.

It's fine obviously I'm not even trying to make an argument anymore. Just buying time until things get back to normal.

It sucks we lost, I am not happy about it either. You can't play the what if game. We beat them once and they beat us once. We also beat Penn St, and MSU who the lost to. Does that make Nebraska a better football team this year than Wisconsin, I don't know. But we have a better record than they have. We earned that record just as much as they earned there record.

Northwestern was winning all of the games they lost in the 4th quarter, but guess what they lost those games if we look a little deeper are they a better team than their record?

I agree, but as a fan, I look past the record and see that we have some serious issues. The record looks good, IMO, UNTIL you look at the actual losses. The most yrds ever given up on the ground by NU. UCLA, almost total yrds save Franklin, losing yrds kneeling down, 70 points, 63 points etc.....Our record is what it is, but a thin veil when pulled apart.

I agree, but as a fan, I look past the record and see that we have some serious issues. The record looks good, IMO, UNTIL you look at the actual losses. The most yrds ever given up on the ground by NU. UCLA, almost total yrds save Franklin, losing yrds kneeling down, 70 points, 63 points etc.....Our record is what it is, but a thin veil when pulled apart.

Does this team have issues, yes it had 2 big issues IMO.

1. This team needs some quality DT fast. I mean he needs to get a couple of JUCO guys at least and a couple of good HS guys coming into the program. He also needs to get everyone healthy and have them stay healthy. The lack of any depth at DT hurt this team badly in the CCG. It really limited what they could do and other units had to over compensate and it didn't work.

2. He really needs to do reevaluate what he is doing to have so many break downs defensively. He needs to tweek his scheme. Nebraska wasn't playing nearly as much 2 gap as the season went on as most people think so he is changing.

He needs to trust his younger players to make plays. Bo is too inamered with his scheme and doing everything perfect and being in the perfect position to make plays. Because of this it is way to hard for younger guys to get on the field. I think he wants players to be like he was on the field he most likely wasn't the best athlete out there, but he outworked guys to get on the field. That is fine as long as it is your best guys outworking people to get on the field.

I think Nebraska has overachieved greatly with the talent they have on the defensive line over the past 2 years. He needs a serious upgrade at that level though.

Winning percentage is probably a better benchmark to compare games won "back then" to today since we play more games these days. So nine wins isn't the same as it once was. But if you win ten games, and get utterly embarrassed in your losses, those ten wins lack a little luster, don't they?

Its still apples to oranges. Most Universities are pretty equal when it comes to strength & conditioning, tv exposure, facilties & athletes. That was not the case 20 years ago. Coaches 20 years ago also had partial qualifiers & more schollarships. As far as Osborne, he inherated a team coming off of back to back NC titles, Bo was left a team that was at its lowest point in 40+ years & half way thru was moved into a new conference. Osborne also didn't have to deal with a conference championship game, which he opposed adding. You just can't compare football over the last 20 years, you have to compare it to teams in the same era, there are just to many differences.

• Fire 1