Global Warming

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/10916086/The-scandal-of-fiddled-global-warming-data.html

But now another damning example has been uncovered by Steven Goddard’s US blog Real Science, showing how shamelessly manipulated has been one of the world’s most influential climate records, the graph of US surface temperature records published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Goddard shows how, in recent years, NOAA’s US Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) has been “adjusting” its record by replacing real temperatures with data “fabricated” by computer models. The effect of this has been to downgrade earlier temperatures and to exaggerate those from recent decades, to give the impression that the Earth has been warming up much more than is justified by the actual data. In several posts headed “Data tampering at USHCN/GISS”, Goddard compares the currently published temperature graphs with those based only on temperatures measured at the time. These show that the US has actually been cooling since the Thirties, the hottest decade on record; whereas the latest graph, nearly half of it based on “fabricated” data, shows it to have been warming at a rate equivalent to more than 3 degrees centigrade per century.

Who is this Steven Goddard guy and why should we believe him?

(He doesn't really seem to exist outside of his blog . . . and his links lead to bigger pictures of the graphs that he made himself. :P)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/06/23/house_gop_threatens_to_defund_epa.html

I recently wrote about President Obama announcing new EPA regulations that would cut back on the carbon dioxide produced by coal-fired power plants. Writing about the positive aspects of this, I stated:

But that won’t stop what will be an effort largely backed by the GOP to stop the enforcement of the new EPA rules at any cost. I can say this confidently based on vast amounts of evidence of past behavior (and … the current gathering of the troops by the right about these new regulations).

And hey, whaddya know? I was right. It looks like House Republicans are lookingto find any way they can to prevent those regulations from being enacted, including threatening to withhold EPA funding to do it. That could in turn spark another government shutdown.