Gun Control

Roark

I'm pretty sure this has been posted in the past 30 pages, but it bears repeating. This conversation is off on so many tangents, and I think many of these tangents are going to become irrelevant with the advent of new technology (not least among them 3D printers), but regardless, we're actually fixing the gun violence problem on a broad scale:

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

National rates of gun homicide and other violent gun crimes are strikingly lower now than during their peak in the mid-1990s, paralleling a general decline in violent crime, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Beneath the long-term trend, though, are big differences by decade: Violence plunged through the 1990s, but has declined less dramatically since 2000.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Guns can be a problem, and we should look into them. But they're less of a problem today than they were 20 years ago, and we should spend equal amounts of time figuring out why these rates are dropping and do that more.

Agreed. Overall crime rate has been dropping rapidly over the past three decades, and so has gun crime. Gun ownership has been climbing rapidly since 2004 (end of AWB) while violent crime has continued to fall.

But (unpopular statement) when a bunch of white kids get killed, politicians see a huge cash in, and try to strike while the iron is hot.

Re-post.

I just hope my AR-15 gets here in June before all these changes happen. Don't think it'll be that soon, but they'll get something taken away on some level. I can't get my hands on any .223 right now...............I tried to order some for our department the other day, it'll be a year before we get it, if we're lucky. Thankfully we have some in reserve just for this reason.

Regarding the bold: I doubt it. The issue is already fading away. At this point I'd be surprised at even minor changes to background checks and there is virtually no chance that any AWB is passed. The votes just aren't there and the public is already losing interest again.

Guns can be a problem, and we should look into them. But they're less of a problem today than they were 20 years ago, and we should spend equal amounts of time figuring out why these rates are dropping and do that more.

Is this a change since February?

I don't think the issue is fading away. I think people are really, really tired of wanton gun violence, and I think that if the politicians in Washington don't get their sh#t straight pretty soon, they're going to be finding themselves out of jobs.

Sandy Hook was a last straw for people. I'll vote anti-gun from now on based on that incident. I think we should have guns, but I think we're finding that we're not responsible enough to have guns. I'm 100% fine with guns going away. We don't need them, no matter how cool they are.

Kool-Aid comes in all flavors. Ya just gotta find the flavor that you like best. Trial and error. Wine is the same way. CARL :D

Everyone has certain statistics that hold them in sway to their own viewpoints. Some change over time. :dunno I know mine have over the years.

Is this a change since February?

I don't think the issue is fading away. I think people are really, really tired of wanton gun violence, and I think that if the politicians in Washington don't get their sh#t straight pretty soon, they're going to be finding themselves out of jobs.

Sandy Hook was a last straw for people. I'll vote anti-gun from now on based on that incident. I think we should have guns, but I think we're finding that we're not responsible enough to have guns. I'm 100% fine with guns going away. We don't need them, no matter how cool they are.

No.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted in the past 30 pages, but it bears repeating. This conversation is off on so many tangents, and I think many of these tangents are going to become irrelevant with the advent of new technology (not least among them 3D printers), but regardless, we're actually fixing the gun violence problem on a broad scale:

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

National rates of gun homicide and other violent gun crimes are strikingly lower now than during their peak in the mid-1990s, paralleling a general decline in violent crime, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Beneath the long-term trend, though, are big differences by decade: Violence plunged through the 1990s, but has declined less dramatically since 2000.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Rove vs. Wade

20 years after legal abortion allows for fewer unwanted unloved children, violent crime in every catagory (not just guns) begins to drop until it's about 1/2 of what it had been.

Actually Roe v. Wade was in 1973 and it's estimated that there have been 56 million babies aborted. Homicides actually went up.

http://www.disasterc...ime/uscrime.htm

You are right though. Since 1990+ crime in general has steadily declined for the most part.

Lots of other factors; war on drugs, immigration, etc.

Here is another take on crime and reasons behind the ups and downs(hint: pro-gun agenda)

and "YES" the first AWB was from 1994-2004(AR-15's account for less than 400 homicides a year)

crimeupdown_zps141ff470.jpg

• Fire 1
Gregory Dean, Jr. was pulled over in New Lebanon, N.Y., Sunday for a light on his license plate being burnt out. But what began as a simple traffic stop ended up with Dean being arrested over two bullets in his registered firearm, which put him in violation of the state’s new law, the Journal News reported.

Last month, a provision in New York’s strict gun control laws went into effect, making it illegal to have more than seven rounds in a magazine unless said firearm was being used at a range or in a competition.

http://www.theblaze....s-7-bullet-cap/

Totally glad they got this guy off the streets.

NY DA will not prosecute:

The Columbia County District Attorney is making good on a promise not to prosecute a man arrested under the SAFE Act.

DA Paul Czajka told NewsChannel 13 he would not prosecute Gregory Dean Jr.

Dean was pulled over earlier this month after police say the light over his license plate was out.

Police say he also had a gun in his car.

While they say it was possessed legally, it had nine rounds of ammunition, which exceeds the state's new limit of seven rounds.

NewsChannel 13’s Dan Levy was in court for the decision.

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3043917.shtml

Actually Roe v. Wade was in 1973 and it's estimated that there have been 56 million babies aborted. Homicides actually went up.

http://www.disasterc...ime/uscrime.htm

You are right though. Since 1990+ crime in general has steadily declined for the most part.

Lots of other factors; war on drugs, immigration, etc.

Here is another take on crime and reasons behind the ups and downs(hint: pro-gun agenda)

and "YES" the first AWB was from 1994-2004(AR-15's account for less than 400 homicides a year)

crimeupdown_zps141ff470.jpg

Clearly we need to have a yearly congressional act where we end prohibition and reissue Concealed Carry permits. :D

But maybe I'm reading this chart wrong. The assertion is that homicides have gone up since Roe v. Wade. But if RvW was in 1973 (and I believe this is true because it's on Wikipedia), it's looking like homicides have gone down since then. Am I reading that chart wrong?

Guns are the cause, I mean unwanted babies were the culprit. Whats next, its the increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that is directly related to temperatures, that make people less violent when earth's temperature goes up.

Marijuana, nitrous and ozone

it's fixed

forgot to mix in some islamic extremists, RNC and DNC

AND without a doubt WESTBORO BAPTIST

mix together into one large gelatinous mush, spread thoroughly on fresh sour dough toast, mmmmmmgood. oops wrong channel.

NEVERMIND :P

Its is kinda funny to me, that when this thread started, we were such a dangerous country because we have so many guns available. If there is one thing I have learned in life, it is that life is complicated. And if we try to oversimplify the reasons for gun violence or the lack thereof we will always be wrong. The only common factors in homicides are that one person kills, and one person dies.

• Fire 2

For anyone doubting the Roe vs. Wade connection, let's review some facts.

1. RvW was 1973

2. 20 years after legal abortion allows for fewer unwanted unloved children, violent crime in every catagory (not just guns) begins to drop until it's about 1/2 of what it had been.

3. It took ~20 years for Roe to impact violent crime because the violent criminals are often in their late teens to mid-20's. Therefore, if we use a very rough average of 1.25 million abortions a year, that mean 20 years after Roe vs. Wade, there were about 1.25 million fewer birthday parties where someone turned 20. Thus, there was a 20 year lag before Roe's effects could be seen in violent crime rates.

4. Five states legalized abortion three years before Roe v. Wade. Crime started falling three years earlier in these states, with property crime (done by younger people) falling before violent crime.

5. After abortion was legalized, the availability of abortions differed dramatically across states. In some states like North Dakota and in parts of the deep South, it was virtually impossible to get an abortion even after Roe v. Wade. If one compares states that had high abortion rates in the mid 1970s to states that had low abortion rates in the mid 1970s, you see the following patterns with crime. For the period from 1973-1988, the two sets of states (high abortion states and low abortion states) have nearly identical crime patterns. Note, that this is a period the generations exposed to legalized abortion are old enough to do much crime. But from the period 1985-1997, when the post Roe cohort is reaching peak crime ages, the high abortion states see a decline in crime of 30% relative to the low abortion states

This isn't a new concept. We have known this since about 1999.