Gun Control

Roark

I find it interesting that BigRedBuster isn't confident enough in his stance to name those "liberal leaning people." Perhaps the holdup is that by naming them, we'd have to support the allegation that those people do, in fact, lean liberal.

I heard you're a pinko commie, so there's at least 1.

I believe that I have also seen both Carl and yourself claim that you are liberal.

If this is directed at me, that's an emphatic "no." I've mentioned dozens of times that I'm a moderate, and that I have registered Independent for the last 13-14 years.

But I do find it interesting that you would think I'm a liberal. That says more about your politics than mine, I think.

If I'm wrong, then that's fine. I think it is obvious that you are (in general) more liberal than me on some issues and I don't have a problem with that.

I thought at one point shortly after I started on this thread you posted a test that shows where you are on a graph for fiscal conservative/liberal and social conservative/liberal.

I thought I remembered we were very close to the same on social issues and I was more conservative than you on fiscal issues.

That said, my ORIGINAL post that spawned your inquiry was mostly aimed at Someone who has more posts on the issue of gun violence being down. I'm wondering if there is anyone on here who thinks he isn't "liberal leaning".

I believe that I have also seen both Carl and yourself claim that you are liberal.

But I do find it interesting that you would think I'm a liberal. That says more about your politics than mine, I think.

That's the thing . . . compared to BRB (and the present day GOP) I am probably a "liberal." In Berkeley I'd probably be considered a right-wing authoritarian.

I don't recall that.

I think that according to the political compass test that was floating around I was a slightly left of center libertarian.

The term I used was "liberal leaning". wouldn't slightly left of center libertarian be "liberal leaning"?

BigRedBust'r:

1. Why the labels?
  2. True or false: Gun Violence is down 49% since 1993.
  3. True or false: Economist have demonstrated in peer-reviewed published studies the connect between Roe vs. Wade and the above mentioned drop in gun violence. In the 10+ years after these finding were documented, no peer-reviewed published study has successfully refuted these findings.

Straight forward facts don't lean left or right.

That's the thing . . . compared to BRB (and the present day GOP) I am probably a "liberal." In Berkeley I'd probably be considered a right-wing authoritarian.

It's funny actually.....

When I am around fairly liberal people, I think...."Wow...I must really be conservative". When I am around fairly conservative people, I think..."wow...I must really be liberal".

BigRedBust'r:

1. Why the labels?
  3. True or false: Economist have demonstrated in peer-reviewed published studies the connect between Roe vs. Wade and the above mentioned drop in gun violence. In the 10+ years after these finding were documented, no peer-reviewed published study has successfully refuted these findings.

1) Wow...I didn't realize the term "liberal leaning" was so inflammatory. I honestly thought it was a fairly benign comment.

2) Where did I claim it isn't?

3) Where did I claim it isn't?

I don't know where or why the link between Roe vs. Wade and the decline in gun deaths became a drum to beat in this thread, but it's never been factually proven to be true, and in most cases I'm running across it's been debunked as a direct link. It also ignores other factors, including the sudden drop in crack cocaine usage in the early-mid 90s, which has zero to do with R v W.

More than a few of the e-mailers, however, were riders on the abortion-crime link bandwagon, first articulated a decade ago by economists John Donohue and Steven Levitt, who argue that following the 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade, thousands of unwanted fetuses were aborted instead of being born into less-than-ideal environments, thereby producing two decades later a reduction in the pool of at-risk, violence-prone individuals.

Despite persuasive logic, the significance of this effect appears to have been grossly overstated. For example, nearly 60% of the decline in murder since 1990 involved perpetrators ages 25 and older—individuals who would have been born prior to the landmark abortion decision. The abortion-crime link also cannot account for the transient surge in youth homicide during the late 1980s, without which the decline of the 1990s would not have been so dramatic. And, as with all major theories, the abortion-crime hypothesis cannot explain the large drop in murder and other violent crime from the first six months of 2009 to the corresponding months of 2010.

LINK

There was a Pew research poll posted a couple pages back that talked about the link as well, which also said that it was tenuous at best, and that there were other factors at play that could not be passed off as related to the uptick in abortions.

BigRedBust'r:

1. Why the labels?

1) Wow...I didn't realize the term "liberal leaning" was so inflammatory. I honestly thought it was a fairly benign comment.

2) Where did I claim it isn't?

3) Where did I claim it isn't?

1. Where did I say it was inflamatory? ;) For 40 plus years, some conservatives have used the term as a derogatory epithet. Past Presidental candidates and current politicians have also used the term as a pejortive.
  2. Are you saying #2 is true?
  3. Are you saying #3 is true?

For the record: My voter registration card says Republican.

If you must apply a label, these are some that I believe are accurate:

• Open and Affirming
  • Pragmatic
  • Factual
  • Capitalist
  • Small Business Owner
  • Job Creator
  • Independent

I am sure that there are people who's politics are to the right of mine and I am just as sure that there are people who's politics are to the left of mine. Only one person each can win the titles of the most conservative voter in America and the most liberal voter in America. I doubt either of them are posting here. The rest of us all fall somewhere in the middle.