Gun Control

Roark

These conclusions don’t line up perfectly with either side’s agenda. That’s a good reason to take them seriously—and to fund additional data collection and research which have been blocked by Congress over politics. Yes, the facts will surprise you. That’s why you should embrace them.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2013/06/handguns_suicides_mass_shootings_deaths_and_self_defense_findings_from_a.single.html

These conclusions don’t line up perfectly with either side’s agenda. That’s a good reason to take them seriously—and to fund additional data collection and research which have been blocked by Congress over politics. Yes, the facts will surprise you. That’s why you should embrace them.

http://www.slate.com...m_a.single.html

Interesting information.

I'm interested in the percentage of gun violence that is centered the illegal drug trade/use. Theoretically, if you could take completely out the drug trade and usage, how much would the gun violence go down?

Just going to interject my opinion/possible facts in each number I find significant:

1. If you take out Chicago, Detroit, NYC, L.A. and New Orleans our statistics probably don't make the top 20 worldwide. Politicians need to look at that.

2. I think everyone will agree that even though better, there is great room for improvement; see #1.

3-4. These are where I see aberrations. Twice as many long guns as handguns yet 87% of people commit violence with handguns. Yet Uncle Joe, Auhntie D and others want you to believe that "assault rifles" are the ol debil. Buy a shotgun, buy a shotgun. Ain't no problem there Joe. FBI stats have shown that for years. How to address that problem? Well, the death penalty doesn't seem to sway many from committing the ultimate crime, so IDK.

5. Nuff said.

6. When do my risks go down. I've owned bb and pellet guns, rifles, shotguns and handguns for over 50 years. Plus I take Lyrica. My attempt at levity.

7. Yup

8. IDK, I've always thought that having a gun for defense was a good thing, Along with proper knowledge and training of course.

9. I wholeheartedly agree that domestic violence or family law issues cause huge strain on people and many have no coping skills to relieve the stress. Unfortunately, violence occurs to often even with TRO's and multiple violations without incarceration.

10. I kinda break away from my other NRA brethren and think all gun transactions should have a NICS performed. Kali has done it for years. Few of the laws here make a lot of sense but at least that one is just a bump in the road not a deal breaker for me.

I don't have any problem with seeing sides in the gun control debate. Just seems like there was never any middle ground. This study seems like a good place to build a solid foundation. Not knee jerk reactions from either extreme side.

This is my Pew study :D

pewpewpew_zpsacfc46cb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Who needs any form of gun control. Just get a .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle. I would love to hear an argument on why someone not in a warzone would need one of those.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/guns-america-criminals-purchasing-weapons-easily-questions-asked/story?id=19680493#.UeYExflJMxg

Van Zeller and Torrez next set their sights on buying a .50 caliber sniper rifle, a weapon so powerful that the U.S. military uses it to penetrate concrete and steel.

Again, they took to the Internet to search for sellers and found one willing to sell them a .50 caliber within a matter of minutes.

Who needs any form of gun control. Just get a .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle. I would love to hear an argument on why someone not in a warzone would need one of those.

http://abcnews.go.co...93#.UeYExflJMxg

Van Zeller and Torrez next set their sights on buying a .50 caliber sniper rifle, a weapon so powerful that the U.S. military uses it to penetrate concrete and steel.

Again, they took to the Internet to search for sellers and found one willing to sell them a .50 caliber within a matter of minutes.

I guess you haven't polled any Law Enforcement Agencies yet! Although, many Americans consider Chicago, Detroit, NYC and L.A. warzones. Funny that the investigative reporter neglected to state the purchase price of the 50. A new Barrett 50 starts at 6800 to over 10K. Not too many non cartel criminals are willing to spend that amount for a single shot rifle that weighs 20lbs+ , (not too tactical or concealable). The stats don't lie, handguns are cheap and much more concealable.

Actually, I'd rather have a 338 Lapua. A little cheaper ammo and yet reaches way, way out there. Many shooting competitions are past 1000 yards.

PS. Mexican forces use 50cal rifles for deployment against cartels and smugglers, as do some of our L.E. Agencies.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a good idea

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/07/26/north_carolina_concealed_weapons_allowing_guns_in_bars_is_a_really_really.html

As Dahlia Lithwick noted earlier this week, the Republican-dominated North Carolina state legislature has gone a bit bonkers, passing all manner of ridiculous legislation. One example: On Tuesday, legislators signed off on a bill that will allow concealed-carry permit holders to bring a concealed gun to a bar unless the owner explicitly prohibits it.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/07/30/clarksville_school_district_guns_arkansans_school_take_page_straight_from.html

An Arkansas school district is taking a page straight from the NRA's playbook, arming more than 20 teachers and staff members this fall in response to what administrators say was an overwhelming number of complaints from parents worried in the wake of Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy.

The employees who sign up for the program receive a one-time $1,100 stipend to purchase a gun and holster. The district is also paying another $50,000 to cover ammunition and private instruction from a local firearms training facility, although it is unclear if that figure includes the regular training refreshers the staff will be required to undergo. The 53-hour up-front training program falls roughly in the middle of the 40-60 hours recommended by an NRA-fund task force earlier this year.

No money to pay good teachers more, but we can arm them...